What the point in drinking water?

Options

Replies

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    But anyway the point is to pee that extra water out along with other things. I will kind of try to explain this as much as I can. Your water intake and your blood stream worked together along with your kidneys. When you drink more you body is filtering out more of the bad and that extra water as well. So the more you drink the more filtering will happen. Which makes you overall healthier. I don't know if this is making percent sense to you but if not just google it :)

Not sure if serious.

what do you mean if i am serious?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Lose weight: Drinking water helps you lose weight because it flushes down the by-products of fat breakdown. Drinking water reduces hunger, it’s an effective appetite suppressant so you’ll eat less. Plus, water has zero calories. Here are the further details on how to achieve fat loss by drinking water.

Natural Remedy for Headache: Helps to relieve headache and back pains due to dehydration. Although many reasons contribute to headache, dehydration is the common one.

Look Younger with Healthier Skin: You’ll look younger when your skin is properly hydrated. Water helps to replenish skin tissues, moisturizes skin and increases skin elasticity.
    Better Productivity at Work: Your brain is mostly made up of water, thus drinking water helps you think better, be more alert and more concentrated.

Better Exercise: Drinking water regulates your body temperature. That means you’ll feel more energetic when doing exercises. Water also helps to fuel your muscle.

Helps in Digestion and Constipation: Drinking water raises your metabolism because it helps in digestion. Fiber and water goes hand in hand so that you can have your daily bowel movement.
    Less Cramps and Sprains: Proper hydration helps keep your joints and muscles lubricated, so you’ll less likely get cramps and sprains.

Less Likely to Get Sick and Feel Healthy: Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu and other ailments like kidney stones and heart attack. Water adds with lemon is used for ailments like respiratory disease, intestinal problems, rheumatism and arthritis etc. In another words one of the benefits of drinking water is that it can improve your immune system. Follow this link for further information on how lemon water can improve your health.

Relieves Fatigue: Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body. If your body lacks water, your heart, for instance, needs to work harder to pump out the oxygenated blood to all cells, so are the rest of the vital organs, your organs will be exhausted and so will you.

Good Mood: Your body feels very good and that’s why you feel happy.

Reduce the Risk of Cancer: Related to the digestive system, some studies show that drinking a healthy amount of water may reduce the risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Water dilutes the concentration of cancer-causing agents in the urine and shortens the time in which they are in contact with bladder lining.

Not sure if serious.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    "Is water a carb?"

I almost spit out my water :laugh:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    why don't you try NOT drinking water then report back on the effects :D

Last guy that tried that never reported back :grumble:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    drink booze instead
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I think thats the point, friend.

That is wasteful thinking.

No kidding. Do you realize that there are regions in this world where people do not have access to clean water, and here you are just pissing it away. SMDH!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    www.dhmo.org

it's horrible, and I think it's a GMO... best to avoid.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    "Is water a carb?"

I almost spit out my water :laugh:

That's why I won't drink the stuff. Stick with diet soda.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I like to pee on my neighbors lawn, it needs the water and I don't like being wasteful.

Rigger
  • tinz75
    tinz75 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    why don't you try NOT drinking water then report back on the effects :D

Last guy that tried that never reported back :grumble:
    He probably got bored and went and did something else.....
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    To turn your pee white

White? Really? If mine turned white I would panic. When I drink a lot of water mine turns clear.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Seems like I just pee most of it out.

We need water to survive.

A really simple way to tell if you need water is - are you thirsty? If you are, you need water. If not, probably not (I use "probably" because some folks have an impaired thirst mechanism)

A lot of places urge dieters to drink water and for good reason - it can help you lose weight. If you have a stomach with lots of water, you feel full, and will tend to eat less. Many sites don't explain why they recommend 8 cups/day but the only reasons I've seen given are that it fills you up. And that's a good thing.

My take on it — if you need to drink water to control your urge to eat, do it because being overweight is much worse than drinking water all day. If you don't need help controlling you appetite, why bother? Most of us have the urination thing down pretty well, right?

The other reason that water helps people on a diet is if you're holding a water bottle, there's less of a chance that you'll put food in your mouth.

This comes across as a bias but it's one I've had for a while and part of it comes 'cause I grew up in a place where the drinking water wasn't that great (in Bermuda we used to catch the rainwater on our roof and store it in a tank under the house. Water tanks had mold and bacteria so we put guppies in the water tank to get rid of things like mosquitoes. Mold, stale water, and guppy…remnants — yummy!).

Fast forward to now and it appears that there's no medical evidence to drink the infamous 8 cups a day.

Yes, that flies in the face of "what everyone knows" but, heh, that's how life is some times.

Case in point - everyone knows that stomach ulcers come from too much acid in the stomach, right? Wrong. It's a virus according to the Nobel prize winner who he proved his theory even though he had been professionally denounced for his beliefs.

Another example - even the best scientific minds accept the fact that the human body will survive going faster than 10 MPH in a steam engine but it wasn't always that way. In the early 1800's, scientists were convinced that people would be killed if they were in a train going that speed. So, times change and we learn, right?

This paper, written by a Dartmouth MD, professor, and author of a book on kidneys has 100 footnotes.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2002/aug/080802.html

And here's another link to a different version:

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

Even Snopes gets in on this:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

A more extensive work is "Waterlogged", a new book by Dr. Tim Noakes. I've just started reading it an it's a fascinating review into water consumption in the world of sports. Here's a shock - until Gatorade was invented and millions of dollars were spent on marketing, long distance runners typically drank very little even when running the 26.2 miles in a marathon. Now, we have people sipping on water when they go for a walk! Cui bono?

A few other things:
    Extra water does not "flush out toxins" - the body does just fine without drinking large amounts of water.

"Drinking water regulates your body temperature." - there is no medical basis for this statement. Reference is "Waterlogged" by Dr Noakes. Body temperature, in runners, is a function of energy expended and temperature/humidity.

"Less Cramps and Sprains:" -
    exertional cramps are not caused by water consumption but are a result, so it is believed, of a muscle tiring to the point where it's ability to relax is compromised. The simple test - when a muscle cramps and you rub it, it relaxes. If you rest long enough, it will not cramp again even though you continue to lose water. Athletes with cramps have not shown to have unusual electrolyte levels nor have they shown to have unusual levels of water.

Cramps in the diaphragm are believed to result from the "relax" signal being lost due to impingement of the nerve coming out of the spine.

"Reduce the Risk of Cancer: " - "cancer-causing agents in the urine" - this is a very deep secret, apparently. AFAIK, we have not been able to identify a "cause" for cancer much less "cancer-causing agents in the urine".

I'll stop here.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Alcohol does the same thing, you might as well just drink that instead. At least it gives you a happy buzz! :P

No not really...Tell that to people on Dialysis for liver problems .Alcohol Dehydrates you
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14681716
    The results demonstrate that the metabolic adaptation to acute hypo-osmolality resembles that of acute fasting, that is, it results in protein sparing associated with increased lipolysis, ketogenesis and lipid oxidation and impaired insulin sensitivity of glucose metabolism.

Hypo-osmotic cellular swelling (being completely hydrated) promotes lipid (fat) breakdown, while counteracting proteolysis (breaking proteins down into amino acids). Staying fully hydrated also showed a decrease in insulin sensitivity.

Simply put, you will see greater fatty acid loss from your calorie cuts if you maintain hydration levels in your body. Yes it's annoying to have to pee that much, but being dehydrated makes everything you're trying to achieve come to a screeching halt.

The key to the above work, I have to add, is ACUTE hydration. Just like with your workouts and your daily calorie consumption, you have to keep changing it up to keep your body from adapting to what you're doing. So, some days, it may be helpful to have a couple glasses of wine and wake up dehydrated, and replenish on other days.

Sorry ATT949 :flowerforyou:
    Don't let the wretched body adapt!
  • hobbitgeekgirl
    Options
    No, see, the water making you need to pee is a way to burn more calories - all of that walking back and forth to the bathroom...it keeps you moving! :) Sneaky exercises.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    A few things to consider about your "healthy" water. Don't say you weren't warned.

reasons-why-i-dont-drink-water_c_1164810.jpg

LOLLOLOLLL
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Seems like I just pee most of it out.

We need water to survive.

A really simple way to tell if you need water is - are you thirsty? If you are, you need water. If not, probably not (I use "probably" because some folks have an impaired thirst mechanism)

A lot of places urge dieters to drink water and for good reason - it can help you lose weight. If you have a stomach with lots of water, you feel full, and will tend to eat less. Many sites don't explain why they recommend 8 cups/day but the only reasons I've seen given are that it fills you up. And that's a good thing.

My take on it — if you need to drink water to control your urge to eat, do it because being overweight is much worse than drinking water all day. If you don't need help controlling you appetite, why bother? Most of us have the urination thing down pretty well, right?

The other reason that water helps people on a diet is if you're holding a water bottle, there's less of a chance that you'll put food in your mouth.

This comes across as a bias but it's one I've had for a while and part of it comes 'cause I grew up in a place where the drinking water wasn't that great (in Bermuda we used to catch the rainwater on our roof and store it in a tank under the house. Water tanks had mold and bacteria so we put guppies in the water tank to get rid of things like mosquitoes. Mold, stale water, and guppy…remnants — yummy!).

Fast forward to now and it appears that there's no medical evidence to drink the infamous 8 cups a day.

Yes, that flies in the face of "what everyone knows" but, heh, that's how life is some times.

Case in point - everyone knows that stomach ulcers come from too much acid in the stomach, right? Wrong. It's a virus according to the Nobel prize winner who he proved his theory even though he had been professionally denounced for his beliefs.

Another example - even the best scientific minds accept the fact that the human body will survive going faster than 10 MPH in a steam engine but it wasn't always that way. In the early 1800's, scientists were convinced that people would be killed if they were in a train going that speed. So, times change and we learn, right?

This paper, written by a Dartmouth MD, professor, and author of a book on kidneys has 100 footnotes.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2002/aug/080802.html

And here's another link to a different version:

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

Even Snopes gets in on this:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

A more extensive work is "Waterlogged", a new book by Dr. Tim Noakes. I've just started reading it an it's a fascinating review into water consumption in the world of sports. Here's a shock - until Gatorade was invented and millions of dollars were spent on marketing, long distance runners typically drank very little even when running the 26.2 miles in a marathon. Now, we have people sipping on water when they go for a walk! Cui bono?

A few other things:
    Extra water does not "flush out toxins" - the body does just fine without drinking large amounts of water.

"Drinking water regulates your body temperature." - there is no medical basis for this statement. Reference is "Waterlogged" by Dr Noakes. Body temperature, in runners, is a direct function of energy expended.

"Less Cramps and Sprains:" -
    exertional cramps are not caused by water consumption but are a result, so it is believed, of a muscle tiring to the point where it's ability to relax is compromised.
    Cramps in the diaphragm are believed to result from the "relax" signal being lost due to impingement of the nerve coming out of the spine.

"Reduce the Risk of Cancer: " - "cancer-causing agents in the urine" - this is a very deep secret, apparently. AFAIK, we have not been able to identify a "cause" for cancer much less "cancer-causing agents in the urine".

I'll stop here.

Not sure if serious.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14681716
    The results demonstrate that the metabolic adaptation to acute hypo-osmolality resembles that of acute fasting, that is, it results in protein sparing associated with increased lipolysis, ketogenesis and lipid oxidation and impaired insulin sensitivity of glucose metabolism.

Hypo-osmotic cellular swelling (being completely hydrated) promotes lipid (fat) breakdown, while counteracting proteolysis (breaking proteins down into amino acids). Staying fully hydrated also showed a decrease in insulin sensitivity.

Simply put, you will see greater fatty acid loss from your calorie cuts if you maintain hydration levels in your body. Yes it's annoying to have to pee that much, but being dehydrated makes everything you're trying to achieve come to a screeching halt.

The key to the above work, I have to add, is ACUTE hydration. Just like with your workouts and your daily calorie consumption, you have to keep changing it up to keep your body from adapting to what you're doing. So, some days, it may be helpful to have a couple glasses of wine and wake up dehydrated, and replenish on other days.

Don't let the wretched body adapt!

Not sure if serious.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Not sure if serious.

means_zpsb8119ad0.gif
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    means_zpsb8119ad0.gif

I am well aware of this fact. Thank you for reiterating it.