Jumping rope scare

Options
I have never jumped rope in my life. I purchased one last month to speed up my weight loss but I just ended up injuring myself. I was skipping outside my house on 6th Oct, Wed and I pinched a nerve or something I ended up with excruciating pain for a week or so and an awkward limp after that. Lots of massaging the area with eucalyptus oil and icing helped with pain. But sometimes I still limp no pain though. Would it be foolish on my part to try skipping again??

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Eleven days since the injury? No, don't start again.

You don't say where on your body the pain is and it's good that it has improved but I'd see a doctor if it doesn't heal up after another couple weeks of rest.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Any high impact activity needs to be eased into gradually.

Skipping rope is especially injury-inducing if you just "jump" right in. Same with running or weight lifting...and ropes are not a magical weight-loss activity. How about buying one of those rebounders (mini trampoline?) Less stress on the body, same exercise. Still needs to be started gradually and not a 45 minute routine on Day One.

• Sportertje354
    Sportertje354 Posts: 50 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    This YouTube channel has lots of tips on jump roping, including for beginners:

https://youtube.com/c/JumpRopeDudes

My experience with starting jump rope, start slow, bit by bit, take plenty of breaks, wear good shoes and/or have cushioned mat

Can feel it if pushing too hard

Having said that, it doesn't sound like something you should feel normally, so like @cmriverside says, have it looked at maybe, and take it easy

Would it be foolish? Idk, not a question i can answer on a forum, in my opinion only someone like a physical therapist who examines you can say that
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    How it started... excruciating pain.

How it ends... ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ4jMSCBswY

Good luck. Take it slow.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is remarkably hard on your muscles and joints and requires a high aerobic capacity. It looks easy when you watch someone under 10 years old do it for 30 minutes straight!

How would you describe your fitness level to start?
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I personally would not be inclined to continue with such a high impact activity if it already injured me so easily.

There are so many wonderful forms of exercise out there that will bang up your joints less than jumping up and down.

But if you love it, give it a try, but definitely watch some videos on form to minimize injury.