please help me choose a HRM

Options
i think i want to get a HRM to help me track calories better. i dont really have any idea where to start.

a few things i want to consider:
i sweat a lot
i have an iphone 4...not 4s- i use mapmywalk and MFP
i dont want to spend over 100$
i dont want it to be over complicated. i just want to be able to easily and accurately calculate how many calories burned during exercise.

so can anyone help with some recommendations?
thanks!

Replies

• mbacon13
    Options
    I got a wahoo from Sears for $99 online and I think it was free shipping. It has an antenna that plugs into my 4S and can sync up with a number of fitness apps. I use Endomondo (free) because it will show me my max/average hr during the workout, I can use the GPS if I'm outside, and it syncs up with MFP when you complete your workout. Sweat is not really an issue because the contacts on the chest strap need to be wet anyway. Sears uses outside vendors, so the exact same thing may cost anywhere from $200 to $99. You just have to do some scrolling. Cons: I would like to not have to put an antenna on my phone for working out, but that's about it.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and love it.
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    thanks. anyone else?
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    CR likes the Omron HR100C. The Polar H7 is their #1 pick but it's not compatible with the iPhone 4.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HR-100C-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000A5CEUO
  • rhapsodygirl
    Options
    I have a PolarFT7 that I love!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4. It is awesome and it is easy to operate, and it connects with I-phones.
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and love it.

meee tooo!!!!!!!!!!!

** I also sweat a ton - I have not found any apps that sync with my phone but still love it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Anything Polar makes is going to be a safe bet. They're the most accurate I've seen and they make a number of transmitters that are compliant with smart phones or gym equipment.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I also love my ft4 :smile:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,610 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT4 was cheap, but if I were doing it again I would buy a more advanced model. One that includes a fitness test to calibrate V02Max, instead of using a formula based on age, gender, height and weight. That would be more accurate for estimating calories burned.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F7 & love it, a few of my friends have the Polar as well. They now make the FT series so I was able to get mine on sale for 89.99 vs reg price 159.99 (canadain prices), this was a few mths ago though. This model stores my data for the last 10 sessions, it can be uploaded to their site but I never use that part bc I log my exercise on here & my husband & I easily share it because it doesn't take long to change user settings (height, weight, DOB etc)
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    on the ones you have, does it calculate calories burned right on it? or do you enter your heart rate into something somewhere
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and love it! I'm sure if your just looking for calorie burn the FT4 would work just as well.
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    On the FT7 you enter your weight and I believe age (sorry It's been awhile since I've changed anything but weight), lol. It comes with a chest strap and calculates calorie burn and keeps track of your heart rate as well.