Net calories and calories remaining, again

Options
2»

Replies

• marius_paps
    marius_paps Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you can use a power meter equipped bike (indoor or outdoor) you will get a good guide to your true potential calorie burns or at least the maximum attainable.
    Average watts per hour X 3.6 gives you a very good net calorie estimate.

A power meter is on my wish list. Thing is, I've got 2 bikes I switch between (gravel 1 with gravel tires, gravel 2 with road tires).

But watts per hour x 3.6 could be useful. For this morning ride that would be 360 calories (meh...), let's round that up to say... 500 :smile: .

I'll be simply assuming that we're off by 50%. Having left over 1000 calories recently, I feel OK.

I just checked my Wahoo. I think it could be the culprit. It looks like it has uploaded 909 calories to Strava.
    I'll track a few rides with my Garmin watch and see what gives.
    sijomial wrote: »
    The things it can't know such as aero (your position, clothing, even your shape), wind direction...

LOL, I'm a barrel-shaped MAMIL with the aerodynamics of a brick, need I say more?

Road conditions are 50% lousy, wind really annoying, poor aero, some annoying climbs, ... mostly quite costly in calories I'd say.
    But the bikes are in good shape, and I'm in good shape too.
  • marius_paps
    marius_paps Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well I'll be damned.
    Just to check, I entered a manual biking activity in MFP and lo and behold:

znar1s7831ol.png

That's pretty close to Strava's c.q. Wahoo's estimate. And yes, it was vigorous (still trying to reach 26 avg)

Whatever. We'll do the 50% correction ourselves then.