Salads now causing stomach issues

Options
Hello! Was wondering if someone knew what I should try and cut out of my homemade salads. After I eat it now, I have stomach issues, feels like it has a lot of pressure in it. Odd thing is that I have had pretty much the same salad composition for lunch for several months now, and just started recently.
I changed my brand of prepackaged lettuce for a couple salads when it first started, and it’s now continuing off and on even though I have been back to my normal brand. I buy my food at the same store. I have had stomach issues with pre-made salads in the past(Costco), and with things that have a lot of milk(Mainly milkshakes) but otherwise have no allergies or intolerances that I know about

Earthbound Farm Organic 50/50 mix(Spring mix and Spinach)
Diced baked chicken
Frozen peas, thawed
Shredded carrot
Red and green bell peppers
Litehouse Greek yogurt dressing, either Caesar or Tzatziki (I have no issues eating yogurt, Greek or otherwise)
Strawberries

Do any ingredients stand out to you as trouble makers?

Replies

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Are you thoroughly washing your salad greens?

These are notoriously bad for bacterial contamination. I stopped eating them years ago and just switched to chopped veggie salads. I've totally lost my taste for eating soggy leaves.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I had to stop eating salad and smoothies with raw kale but have no suggestions re what to cut from your salads :(
  • danikat15
    danikat15 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I know someone who can only eat certain kinds of leafy greens because other kinds upset her gallbladder. I always thought how unfair that is since it's supposed to be so healthy for you!
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Lettuce would give me severe diarrhea so had to stop eating it. Turned out that my gallbladder needed to be removed. So it may have been the salad dressing upsetting me. Now that it has been removed am able to eat salad with dressing and oranges which I could never eat prior to surgery.

I also have an aunt and sister with chemical sensitivities that are unable to eat preservatives on lettuce or Aspartame. It gives them headaches and diarrhea. So they avoid bagged greens and sugar free products.
  • KakoHikes
    KakoHikes Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! No, I have never washed my packaged lettuce. I’ve seen all those recalls for different ones and know it can be risky. They are “triple washed” and from an organic company so I just didn’t think would use some of the bleach based washes or unhealthy preservatives. Read somewhere washing it at home probably wouldn’t remove anything the companies wash didn’t remove. of course we all know labels are always accurate and everything you read is the truth :p I’ll try washing it and see if it helps.

The dressing doesn’t have any artificial sweeteners that I can see but it does have a few other ingredients I am not familiar with and need to google. I haven’t had any issues with my gallbladder yet, hopefully that will not become a thing. I do have other health issues and hoping to help improve by eating healthier and it is odd that healthy food can make you feel blah depending on what you are dealing with.

I like making a few salads at a time but may keep all the components separate and not add things certain days to try and figure it out.

Our bodies are so different and ever changing. It still strikes me as odd of the same things can after our bodies differently at different times.

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Try one thing at a time and narrow it down.

Try a different dressing, like try making your own and see if that helps.

If not, try washing the greens and see if that helps.

If not, try changing the greens to a different kind and see if that helps.

If not, try removing one different ingredient at a time.

And so on and so forth until the salad is easy to digest. Just be systematic about it and you will figure it out.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have never had problems with greens and I do have a bad gallbladder that is controlled with diet and phosphoric acid when I have an attack. The thought did come in my mind that maybe the washing wasn't great.Since I started my weight loss over 18 months ago I can no longer eat pineapple 😳 I really have no idea why but everytime I eat it now it seems it makes me sick cooked or not 😦 bodies are odd...Don't worry you will find something else yummy to replace it 🍲

LORD JESUS IS KING OF KINGS