Hello! Obese person going for lifelong healthy choices!

Options
Hello! I just joined the site. I'm currently morbidly obese, right at the lower end of the bracket. I have been making some strides in exercise, having FINALLY found exercise videos I can follow that helps me sweat but doesn't injure me. I am not losing weight yet but am close. I need to seriously work on my nutrition but can't do the "programs" offered because of my diet (non-political vegetarian; please don't criticize). Having grown up in a dysfunctional family where food was one of the weird things they did, I had poor nutrition, lack of exercise, and lack of knowledge. I am learning a lot but still struggle with both knowing what good choices/portions are and in "just saying NO" to bad choices. I have, it seems, an increasing amount of reasons to lose weight, and am reminded of my health many times every day (mostly just from myself). My pretty-healthy husband tries to encourage me, but it's ultimately on me.
Anyways, I hope to start today, this moment. I am fighting my body in order to live and so far haven't been winning. (most healthy people don't understand how hard it is to get your body to lose weight, especially when there's barely any developed muscle. there's no "just go for a walk"). But I will not give up.

Replies

• MrsHermit
    MrsHermit Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome! I agree about making decisions that are sustainable. Perhaps I've been too broad in trying to tackle my nutrition in a generic "Just do it" method. That was good advice in starting with one step until it became habit.
    And way to go for no longer being obese!!! That's an accomplishment, as well has changing your lifestyle!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Five years ago I was where you are now, at the bottom end of morbidly obese. It took me a year to get to normal weight and I have stayed at a normal BMI ever since. When I started I could barely walk to my mailbox, and my weights routine was swinging around some water bottles. Now I can squat more than my body weight and have run an ultra marathon! The trick is to just do a little more every day.

As far as being vegetarian, it’s not that tricky being ovo-lacto vegetarian. Being vegan on the other hand is a little tricky. But there are healthy programs for both, you just may have to look a little. I recommend logging everything for a couple of weeks before trying to change your diet, just to get a look at where you are now and where it may be easiest to make changes.

If you grew up with a dysfunctional family it may also help to take a look at your reasons for overeating - if you eat for comfort, actively seek out sources of fun and joy and comfort which aren’t food. Dancing to music, watching wildlife, whatever isn’t just sitting on your rear end with hands free to move food to mouth. And look for rewards for yourself which aren’t food treats too! I started painting my fingernails fun colors, for example.

Best of luck to you!
  • Mpalamar
    Mpalamar Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You got this! I know you can do it. I am a personal trainer and nutritionist, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out. This is the hardest but best decision one can possibly make for themselves. I am SO proud of you!!!
  • MrsHermit
    MrsHermit Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Thank you for the encouragement. Good for you on the huge accomplishments! You've made changes that last, sustainable lifestyle changes, and that's what I want to do. Good for you!

I am vegetarian, no eggs but yes to dairy. I've noticed that when I cut down on dairy and sugar I tend to "look thinner", if that makes sense. But it takes work educating myself on cooking, diet choices, which I'll keep working at. I cook pretty much every single day and we rarely buy anything premade. Protein, bread, dessert, etc is all done in my kitchen. I have been looking at what I eat and know I need to make changes already; starting to change now! : )

That's good advice about taking a hard look at the reasons behind my eating habits - what the triggers are and how to replace them. Just like atomic habits, replace something bad with something good, even just five minutes. I'll start with the evening when I have negative emotions and struggle with giving myself permission to do what I like to do (another shadow from my far past) - crafting. I like to hike and walk but going outside is more of an event these days (we have to carry protection and be actively watchful for danger, so it's more stress than fun nowadays). But I can enjoy crafts and music. Thank you!

@Mpalamar Thank you for the kind words. I am researching better meal choices and working on being more consistent with exercise and movement at the moment.