Vet tech career

Options
CorgiWaddles
CorgiWaddles Posts: 81 Member
Has anyone gone through any programs for becoming a vet tech? I would love some info on it! Thanks

Replies

• jules159
    jules159 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My daughter is currently going to school to be a vet tech. At her college you have to be "accepted" into the program. It's done on a points basis. They only take like 20 a year into the program. The points are based on your grades in courses required to take before entrance into the program. Some courses are singled weighted (a 4.0 would be 4 pts) and some are double weighted (4.0 would be 8 pts) so the better you do in your classes the more likely you are to be accepted in the program. She hasn't applied to the program yet as she's still taking her required classes prior to acceptance. She's close to applying though. She has a couple of courses she has to take over because they have a "minimum" grade requirement for the program as well. Hope that helps...
  • CorgiWaddles
    Options
    My daughter is currently going to school to be a vet tech. At her college you have to be "accepted" into the program. It's done on a points basis. They only take like 20 a year into the program. The points are based on your grades in courses required to take before entrance into the program. Some courses are singled weighted (a 4.0 would be 4 pts) and some are double weighted (4.0 would be 8 pts) so the better you do in your classes the more likely you are to be accepted in the program. She hasn't applied to the program yet as she's still taking her required classes prior to acceptance. She's close to applying though. She has a couple of courses she has to take over because they have a "minimum" grade requirement for the program as well. Hope that helps...

Thank you very much!
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I am a LVMT from Tennessee. When i went through a two-year program I had the required entrance courses already done. I had to interview for a spot in the program since they only take about 20-30. The program consisted of course in large and small animal studies, anatomy, dental, radiology, pharmacology, research and diseases. On hand experience was the main focus. During the summer between the first and second years, I had a lot of large and small animal rotations at various clinics in the area, and during the second year most of my days consisted of more rotations with two or three days in the classroom. All of the students had to do grunt work like clean out the kennels and muck out the horse barn. One semester in large animal studies consisted of taking care of a baby calf. Students had to do this even of they weren't planning on going into large animals medicine.Once I graduated,I had to state a 4 hour board exam to get licensed by the state. I have to have 12 continuing eduction hours every year to keep my license current.

Hope this helps.
  • CorgiWaddles
    Options
    I am a LVMT from Tennessee. When i went through a two-year program I had the required entrance courses already done. I had to interview for a spot in the program since they only take about 20-30. The program consisted of course in large and small animal studies, anatomy, dental, radiology, pharmacology, research and diseases. On hand experience was the main focus. During the summer between the first and second years, I had a lot of large and small animal rotations at various clinics in the area, and during the second year most of my days consisted of more rotations with two or three days in the classroom. All of the students had to do grunt work like clean out the kennels and muck out the horse barn. One semester in large animal studies consisted of taking care of a baby calf. Students had to do this even of they weren't planning on going into large animals medicine.Once I graduated,I had to state a 4 hour board exam to get licensed by the state. I have to have 12 continuing eduction hours every year to keep my license current.

Hope this helps.

This helps so much! Thank you!