Protein after exercise

Options
Not sure if this should go here or in the fitness/exercise thread.

I've been reading a little about nutrition and exercise. I'm running and/or walking most days (at least 5/7) plus doing my at-home workouts for strength.

Typically I'll run 10km maybe twice or three times a week. I've started one session of intervals and one hill session. If my knee hurts I'll walk 10-12km instead of running.

The reading I've done, from various sources, says it's a good idea to eat protein within about half an hour of exercise to help recovery and not lose muscle mass.

How true is this for the amount of exercise I'm doing? Just wondering if 10km is far enough to require a quick 'fix" of protein afterwards, or whether this is for athletes doing significant distances.

I'm "training" for a half marathon in my own haphazard way, as my body allows!

I don't think I've lost muscle in my weightloss period, and have lost about 60kg. But as I slowly increase my distances, I want to keep my body going.

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,348 Member
    Options
    Depending on the source you are reading, you come across a variety of "best times" for protein intake...

BEFORE your workout...
    AFTER your workout but LESS THAN 30 MINUTES after...
    After your workout but MORE THAN 30 MINUTES after...
    Follow one schedule for CARDIO, another for WEIGHTS...
    Any time during the day at all...

It can be very confusing. While any of the above methods likely work best for some people, no single method works best for ALL people. (As a weightlifter I drink a protein shake the moment I hit the locker room after a workout, but that has more to do with me being hungry than for any magic time window.)

Ultimately, the best answer is likely to just try them all, one at a time, see which works best for YOU. But if you want the simple answer, then probably the last answer is the simplest: just make sure you get sufficient protein at some point during the day, regardless of timing.

I have not noticed any significant difference on days I drink a protein shake right away vs when I wait a few hours, but I do notice a difference the next day if I don't get enough protein at some point during the day. But I'm not training for a marathon or a bodybuilding competition, nor am I a coach or certified anything. What I do have is a couple decades experience with plenty of anecdotal "this happened to me" stories, lol.
  • Tealady02762
    Tealady02762 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I second learning what works best for you based on how you feel. I run as well and have trained/run many half marathons (and one marathon) and I can tell you based on experience, I absolutely cannot eat within 30 min of a hard run…my stomach is not ready for it and I will throw up! My post run routine includes a good cool down, stretching/foam roll, then a warm shower, then a meal. The meal tends to be about an hour to 90 minutes after I finish the run. That works best for me. It also helps manage the hunger that can follow a long/hard effort. A 10k is enough to at least be thinking about how and when you eat after to replenish nutrients but I would not obsess over it.

(Also if you are running more than an hour you might start thinking about if you need some carbs during the run..again everyone is different but if I run more than 90 min I need something)
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I think I'll carry on with what I'm doing now and change things when my body tells me to. I get plenty of protein over the day and, so far, don't need any carbs while I jog.
    I'm navigating a new space with all this so thanks for your input.