Small-group coached workouts

Options
Every year I struggle with the end of the summer season and the change-over to more indoor activities as the days grow shorter. All the competitions have ended for the season. (Although I didn't do any this year, but did a lot of great runs, OW swims, hikes, SUPs, rides, etc.)

I've had a couple of great fall moments, like jogging in shorts and a T a week ago under the harvest moon. But, I find the switch-over to fall activities and short days depressing, and I often fall out of shape and gain weight in Nov-Dec. This year, I'd like to do something completely different, focusing on coached fitness workouts, perhaps.

Has anyone tried small-group coached workouts, like KoKo Fit Club?

(There’s always individual coaching, but it’s more expensive. There’s always working out on my own, but it’s boring!)

(There seem to be more options for women, such as "Get In Shape For Women.")

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much in the way of coached group workouts unless you count spin. I typically transition to doing some more spinning in the winter to compliment riding my indoor smart trainer with Zwift. My new gym does have a kick boxing class that I could make it to on Saturdays, so I might give that a try this year.

Fortunately in NM, it's still very nice out and fall is my favorite time of year for outdoor exercise and recreation...we don't really start getting cold until mid December and through January and then start warming up again in February, so I really only have to make due for a couple of months fortunately.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    I did a small group training at my gym 4 years ago for a couple months. I liked it. There is a sign on the door of my gym that says the training is "powered by" Thrive - Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning. Boyle is a 30+ year S&C coach that has some pretty good credentials in the industry. Here is a link about the program

https://thrivefit.com/

I looked and my gym is not on the list of locations. Don't know if an omission, someone didn't pay a certain fee, or what. The programing described on the website is basically what we did.

My gym has a separate room for this as well as serving as a contract training facility for a couple minor league teams in our community.

At our location it was $150 a month (in addition to your gym membership) for unlimited training sessions. There was a pretty decent amount of classes, max of 12-15 people per session. I did it for a couple months while I was between the end of my career job and a job in consulting. In my case I did the class more for the mobility, power training, bit of lifting, then did an hour or so of weights afterward since I had the time.

Hope this helps.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I've used a personal trainer at my gym for a number of years. Actually for about 5 years on a continuous basis and now I often go back to her during my off season from triathlon. I've been very happy with small group trainer led sessions. I usually do 1 or 2 forty five minute sessions per week.

I always meet with my trainer before we start in the fall. Prior to our meeting, I put together an outline of my current fitness and training load, any injuries I've sustained during race season and what I want to accomplish during the off season. That way, she customizes my workouts to support swim, bike and run training. I think as long as you have a good dialogue with the trainer and he/she is supportive of your goals, it can be very beneficial and even fun. It isn't cheap, but for me the value received is in line with the cost.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I took group strength training classes, taught by a competitive powerlifter, at my school system's adult ed program. They were held at the high school weight room, and were really good.

Various group classes at my Y - like TRX, kettle bell, etc. - were also worthwhile.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with KoKo Fit Club, but I really liked the small group classes I've taken in the past. Sometimes I've learned a lot from the other participants. And you are right, it has been much cheaper than individual training - sometimes free!