Down jackets and back shoulder straps

I've always thought it wasn't a great idea to hike in a down jacket you like, partly because they're too warm for much activity and don't work if you sweat a lot in them, also because the backpack straps will eventually wear through the thin fabric and set the down loose into the four winds. There's also the danger of impaling it on a branch, but that's easier to control and patch.

I'm wondering if anybody in here has actually ruined a down jacket with backpack straps?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    I wouldn't hike in an expensive down jacket just for the reasons you state.

I get cheap ones at Costco just for hiking purposes (usually in the $40 range). They do an adequate job as far as warmth, and I'm not worried about damage or sweat.

They usually last one season, and the seams start to come apart and leak, sometimes under the pack straps, so that could be a cause. Even when they start leaking, I try to patch them up and relegate them to yard work duty.

Maybe a higher quality coat would hold up better, but im not willing to take a gamble with a $200+ coat.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    When I was backpacking, I always wore fleece. It's warm and keeps me warm when it gets wet. Down is lighter weight, but since I sweat easily, I would only wear it at night. It is also durable. I have jackets that survived a long distance hike that I still wear many years later. My husband is still wearing the fleece he used on the AT in 1992.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Thanks, both of you. 🙂

Never in a million years would I have thought a backpack would ruin a jacket by pulling and wearing the seams out. Makes sense as soon as you say it though, and the jacket I'm asking about already has a few threads coming loose, so I think I have my answer.

A year ago I got a down jacket with fleece panels behind the shoulder blades. They're coled spots and it's no good for standing around with a tripod, but it's the only down jacket I've ever had that I can hike in and not overheat. As I age the cold is bothering me more. But I've got fleece, and a nice synthetic jacket that's heavier than down but breathes well and still works if I get it wet.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    FWIW, I never backpacked in weather cold enuf 2 need a down jacket BUT, if I did, I'd probably have worn a light gortex (or similar) rain jacket over it which would have minimize any wear from straps on the down jacket but still allow body moisture to pass thru and no wet down the down.