When do you know start to maintaining?

Options
Little back story.. growing up I’ve always been overweight 300plus through middle school around 400 in college. But recently started going crazy in the gym and have had the will power of the gods with my diet. I’ve made my way to 205 and am wondering when I should adjust my diet to I don’t potentially wither away I’m 6’1” 205lbs eating around 1700-1900 calories a day.

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    My original target was 160.
    When I got to about 175 in January, I changed my weekly weight loss goal from 1 lb per week to .5 lbs per week with the idea that I would coast slowly into maintenance ~1500 calories a day.

When I hit my 160 goal in March, I didn't change my calorie goal, and MFP said I was at maintenance. Even so, I kept losing very slowly--and by the middle of September I had dropped another 15 lbs--where I've maintained for 2.5 months, still eating ~1500 calories a day, even though MFP saysi I should be gaining weight :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight goal...mostly I wanted to correct a bunch of bad blood markers, but my goal was to be around 15%ish BF. I got there when I hit right around 180 Lbs @ 5'10". I got into endurance cycling for about 5 years and at one point dropped to 175 and about 12%, but I didn't maintain that for very long. 180 @ 15%ish is my sweet spot.
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never had a weight goal...mostly I wanted to correct a bunch of bad blood markers, but my goal was to be around 15%ish BF. I got there when I hit right around 180 Lbs @ 5'10". I got into endurance cycling for about 5 years and at one point dropped to 175 and about 12%, but I didn't maintain that for very long. 180 @ 15%ish is my sweet spot.

I am aiming to get to 15%bf as well, for now at least. @cwolfman13, is 15% bf a good place to finally splurge on clothes bcuz I might wanna cut a little further and then go on a bulk? Curious to hear about your experience :)
  • makethistimedifferent
    Options
    when you're happy with who you see in the mirror.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I started off at just under 176lbs (5ft 8" tall), lost some and got down to 161lbs, then hovered around that weight for just under one year, then I decided "no, my original aim was to get down to 130 lbs". So with the help of my husband (who also wanted to lose a few pounds and joined MFP to log food and exercise) I set to it. After five months at 1200 calories per day, I was 132 lbs. I began to introduce slightly more food and then a few weeks later I finally reached my goal of 130lbs (well it touched 129.8). My daily intake is now set at 1400 calories and that maintains.

You see, when I had just that two pound left to lose, I figured that if I up my calories only when I reached my goal, I would continue to lose for a few weeks (which is what happened when I reached 132 lbs). By the time I had reached my goal I knew exactly the amount would keep my weight steady.

Doing it different this time though as previous goals achieved several years ago resulted in me no longer logging food and so putting all the weight back on so I still log everyday, that too is helping me stick to my goal weight.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I never had a goal weight, I had a goal lifestyle and that produced an optimal weight for my body over time.
  • rosiekin
    rosiekin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss.

My goal was 154. When I reached that, I added in 100 calories a day and weighed myself after a month. I'd lost weight so upped another 100 calories a day for the next month and lost again. I did this for 5 months in total during which time I'd painlessly dropped down to 139lbs.
    Although it had never been my intention to go under 154, on reflection, I definitely looked better after I'd lost that extra stone.

If you're fairly happy with your current weight, perhaps you could slowly introduce more calories now. You'll probably continue to lose more weight until you reach a point when your weight loss stops and you reach your maintenance calories number.