Weightloss and mental health

Options
Is there anyone else struggling with mental health in their weightloss journey?

I have Bipolar 1. Decently medicated but obviously I still have regular, less intense highs and lows. I'm not confined to my bed with crippling depression unable to shower etc. I'm not out getting a rap sheet or impulse spending I cant afford with my manic highs, but I do still struggle with symptoms of both.

I overeat with depression. My house falls apart. I just have trouble seeing the point or the light at the end of the tunnel and I have no motivation to do more than I absolutely have to. Maintain my employment. Raise my kid. Minimal homesteading chores so we can get through winters here. I have to take advantage of my hypomanic episodes to make extra money with overtime hours, eat well and lose the weight I gained with depression. Get ahead on homesteading chores, I usually just manage to get my house under control before my mood starts dipping again.
🤷‍♀️
It's frustrating and obviously there had to be a way to do better. Just curious what others do when they struggle for reasons relating to mental health?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Over the years I've seen many problems with mental health and dieting on the boards. It's frequent. Since there are wide gradations and variants, you need to first judge how serious your problem is. Some can definitely NOT go on with their weight loss goals. They need therapy. If you are already overwhelmed with your daily life, taking on the stress of a calorie deficit can be too much.

So......if you need to lose, I'd suggest making only one change in your habits and a very small deficit. It will take longer, but may be manageable. I hope some who have managed will weigh in and give you some good advice. I do not think giving up is the answer, just changing your approach and getting support. Good luck.
  • goldenxbeauty
    goldenxbeauty Posts: 154 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Over the years I've seen many problems with mental health and dieting on the boards. It's frequent. Since there are wide gradations and variants, you need to first judge how serious your problem is. Some can definitely NOT go on with their weight loss goals. They need therapy. If you are already overwhelmed with your daily life, taking on the stress of a calorie deficit can be too much.

So......if you need to lose, I'd suggest making only one change in your habits and a very small deficit. It will take longer, but may be manageable. I hope some who have managed will weigh in and give you some good advice. I do not think giving up is the answer, just changing your approach and getting support. Good luck.

I have managed to lose 50lbs over the years so far, but its included a lot of yoyoing and mostly managed by strict changes for X amount of time until my mood dips again. The only real consistent thing I've stuck to is 16:8 fasting.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you like fasting and it works well for you, why not see if they have a group? I think there is one, or start one yourself. The support may be all you need to smooth out the bumps in the road.