Women 200lb+, Let's Have A Noteworthy November!!!

Options

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    @justanotherloser007 My tape measure has me at about 1.5 inches larger than I currently am. I know this because the belt I'm currently wearing is 34 inches in circumference and the tape says I'm 36. In reality, I'm probably in between.

Did you measure the belt? We all know women's clothing with its utterly arbitrary size indicators (what the hell is a "12," anyway? Twelve *whats*?) has been vanity-sized to hell and back, but in recent years, even clothing that's labeled in a way that supposedly corresponds to actual tangible measurements has fallen victim. My husband's newest "34"-waist pants measure closer to 36 inches.

And also, are you measuring your waist at the same place and with the same tightness that you're wearing the belt? I know my natural waist and the place where the top of my pants actually sit on my body are two different places, and my pants don't just sit on top of my skin, they do compress some or else they'd fall down. That soft, loose skin that comes with weight loss can be especially misleading, if you're only pulling the tape tight enough that it stays flush without compressing the skin, and not actually matching the tightness of how your clothing fits. It can be hard to measure yourself without help, too - trying to turn and look to make sure the tape is straight can push it off-kilter, that kind of thing.

Much like the scale, measurements should also be considered in the aggregate to see if the trend is moving in the direction you want rather than fixating on a single data point. Human hands and eyes are fallible, and especially if you don't take measurements every single day, you're probably measuring slightly different places on your body each time. It's a bit trickier if you're trying to measure yourself for clothes, though (don't I know it).
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I have not measured the belt. That said, I tend to wear high waisted pants, so my belt sits at my natural waist. It is a smidge tighter than when I have my tape measure resting on the surface of my skin, but I found that if I use that measurement, my pants would fall off! Then again, I probably see more flights of stairs than average in my daily life, so a tighter fit is absolutely necessary for me.

As for accuracy, I used to have to take measurements a lot, both on myself and others, when I was involved in theatre and have a defined enough waistline (even with an obese bmi). I measure myself pretty accurately.

I guess, if anything, my phrasing was off. My base measurement (for pants and skirts) is about 1.5 inches less than what my resting-on-surface tape measurement is.

Point is, when losing 30+ pounds of weight, depending on how tightly or loosely you want an article of clothing to fit, you may have to stray from the exact tape measure number, and I don't think that's particularly odd.
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    SW (7/23): I ended up resting all weekend, trying to nurse my lower back back to health.
    I hope your back feels better ((hugs)) If you can do the 5k maybe you can move up a little more walking. The veggies sound like a perfect plan! I love veggies, but the hubby's family is ridiculous with veggies.. meaning, green beans: covered in fried onion things with cream. Sweet potato: covered with huge marshmallows. I mean, I figure they don't believe in veggies at all. So I can't really have them, much less have seconds. I am planning on bringing a sugar free pumpkin pie, but I am pretty sure I will be the only one eating it even though there are 4 diabetics out of 14 people. I don't even have diabetes, I am just trying to deal with sugar for my brain issues.
    @sargemarcori I really hope things get better for you (((hugs)))
    @goal06082021 Your fitness is stellar! You work really hard, and hard work pays off!
    @kenziestabes I guess since I was just winging it till now, I didn't realize there was such a discrepancy. Another lady who lost a bit of weight said that the measuring tape has her 5 sizes larger.. ya, I don't understand it at all.

• justanotherloser007
    Options
    Point is, when losing 30+ pounds of weight, depending on how tightly or loosely you want an article of clothing to fit, you may have to stray from the exact tape measure number, and I don't think that's particularly odd.

So I sew patterns, AND geometry is my weakest mathematic suit. Why can't sewing be algebra?? So I figured, you measure.. you sew. But, I will have to find another way to algebraically understand geometry lols because in the end that is what is happening in my mind. Previously I would NEVER have strayed from the tape. I wouldn't have dreamed that was a thing. Also the reason why I consider myself a baker, not a chef. Baker=exact, chef=chanting, tossing a "dash" of things around, raising dead ancestors to get their gumbo recipe. Just not for me lols. I just have to adapt, somehow.

• sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Deanner03 wrote: »

I tend to hit second hand stores for clothes, but I scored some bras from Kohl's on an early Black Friday deal for $12.73 each. They had up to a G cup.

Thanks for the tip on the Kohl's bras!! I usually stay out of the store as it's safer. Definitely in need as I'm reluctant to buy more at regular pricing. Torrid's bra prices are horrendous so only have a few that have measured weird so don't fit well.
  • FushiaKat
    FushiaKat Posts: 518 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    FushiaKat
    Week 4
    PW = 192
    CW= 188.4

56.6 pounds down, 43.4 more to goal weight.

One more week to go, I think I'll meet my November goal of 188. I have prevailed the last week and stayed on track and under my calories goal even though my new medication is making me super hungry. I've been drinking more Iced Tea to combat that. I admit it's been very difficult. Yesterday was better and so is today, maybe I've finally gotten used to it.

I bought a Fitbit Versa 2 and linked it to MFP

According to MFP's BMI score I need to weight 174 before I will move out of the obese category and into the overweight BMI score. My next goal will be 180 for the month of December.

I want to wish everybody a Happy Thanksgiving, I hope you get to spend time with your family and loved one's.
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    @FushiaKat (((hugs))) meds that make you hungry are just the worst! You are very close to being overweight!! That is super exciting!! Only someone on this thread would understand how amazing that is and all the hard work you put in to get here.

I also want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!! 🍗🤤🌽🥔🥦🥑🌶🍄🧄💖
  • kenziestabes
    Options
    Man, I am just *hungry* today. Problem is that I don't want to snack right now because I have to make what I've packed for dinner last until I get home tonight in 6.5 hours. Definitely drinking plenty of water, though.
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @kenziestabes I keep a jar of mixed nuts on my desk for those situations. I like nuts, but I don't eat them like I do, say, peanut butter cups, so five pieces is fifty calories and enough to hold me a while--plus healthy fats!

@justanotherloser007 I am soooo looking forward to being confused by my laundry. :smile:

@FushiaKat I'm cheering you on! How do you like the Versa 2? I have an Inspire HR (I think) and it has its good and bad aspects.

that is a WOW price on the Kohl's bras!

Today the Adult Skills class brought me a plate from their Gratitude Feast, and I managed to NOT eat everything on it! I was very proud of myself.
  • kenziestabes
    Options
    I decided to split my dinner into 3 servings. Ate the first portion at 2 hours ago, the second just now, and I will eat the third (and largest) in an hour. Then, I have a pre-logged snack to eat when I take my nightly medication. Problem solved.
  • FushiaKat
    FushiaKat Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I decided to split my dinner into 3 servings. Ate the first portion at 2 hours ago, the second just now, and I will eat the third (and largest) in an hour. Then, I have a pre-logged snack to eat when I take my nightly medication. Problem solved.

I do that too; I eat some at lunch and some save for later. And then I can have my popcorn snack too! When I make squash noodles with shrimp it's just too much food to eat at one sitting.
  • goal06082021
    Options
    So, today my office is having a little pre-Thanksgiving potluck. I'm thankful that we decided on the menu publicly and in advance, so I could ballpark the calories - homemade food is always a bit of a crapshoot, but I know what I put in my homemade dish, there's only so many calories one can pack into the rice and peas that a coworker is bringing, and everything else is going to be either storebought prepared or from a box per package directions. The meal is going to be pretty carb-centric, it looks like, so to get a little more protein in me today, I made a protein shake from the protein powder SIL sent us for Hubs, using the shaker bottle I bought over the weekend for him. It was...okay. The package doesn't actually have a recommended ratio of powder to liquid, so it took some experimenting to get to something that wasn't too unpleasant to drink. Probably mixing it with milk or OJ or something other than plain water would also have helped. I don't think I could rock the protein shake lifestyle permanently - I like food too much - but we'll see how this goes for me today. Between this and my big mug of coffee I think I should be okay.

My turkey has also been defrosting in the fridge since about midday Saturday and, as of last night, was still troublingly firm. I'm planning to spatchcock it so it won't take as long to roast, but when I get home today (work is closing early for the holiday, so that helps), I might need to take it out of the crisper drawer and transfer to a water bath to finish thawing. Hubs can't lift the turkey right now, and someone will basically need to babysit it the whole time to keep the cats away from it; they love both poultry *and* the plastic it comes wrapped in, the goblins.
  • danikat15
    danikat15 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

5'7"

9/9/21- 252 (SW & ATH)

11/1/21- 231.4

11/5/21- 230.2

11/12/21- 225.7

11/19/21- 223.6

11/25/21- 220.5

November weight lost- 10.9

Total weight lost- 31.5

I'm checking in a day early because weighing in the day after Thanksgiving just doesn't seem like a good idea 😂

I've tried to create a slightly bigger deficit this week to account for today. I'm not going to log and I'm going to enjoy everything. I'll get back to it it tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving! 🦃
  • goal06082021
    Options
    I thought about trying to "cheat" and weigh in this morning, but you know what, it is what it is. If I see an increase on Saturday it's going to be retained water and food in transit. Restarting those PF workout vids has me retaining hella water, I've been sore all week LMAO. It'll come off by next weekend, I'm sure.

Turkey is spatchcocked and drying in the fridge - it was pretty much thawed but the neck was trapped in a block of ice inside it, so I had to pull out the giblets bag and then cut out the backbone before I could pull the neck out. Spatchcocking makes for a bird that cooks almost twice as fast as "traditional" roasting, with 100% more crispy skin, so that should be really good. Serious Eats says their turkey took about 80 minutes, my oven tends to need about 10-15 more minutes than the recipe usually says so I'm expecting closer to 90-100 minutes, plus a 20-minute rest is about 2 hours from entering the oven to carving that bird up. I'm confident that my turkey will come out well, but the stakes still feel weirdly high - I've never been responsible for The Holiday Meal Centerpiece like this, I guess. I just need to stop worrying. I'm a good cook, I've read way too many articles about how to do this, the expectations of the guests are not outlandishly high.

I'm torn between trying to ballpark and pre-log something, going in after the fact to see what the damage is, or just Quick Adding 2000 calories and calling it a day. I know roughly what is on the menu but not all the recipes. I drank a big mug of coffee this morning so that should help curb hunger for the next 6 hours. I would very much like to pour myself an adult beverage of some kind, but my husband is on so very many medications right now that alcohol is probably inadvisable, so in solidarity with him I will probably abstain. It is what it is.
  • goal06082021
    Options
    I ended up having a couple of drinks anyway. I'm about 600 cal over budget today and uncomfortably full, but just for funsies i decided to look back at my diary from last Thanksgiving. I went over by 1600ish last year, more than double what i did today, and i don't think i felt this stuffed. I feel like I've come incredibly far in just a year, I'm proud of me, and i just wanted to pop back in here and say so.

Also my turkey and gravy turned out awesome and I'm extremely pleased about that too. 👍
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Well I didn't get to the 180 or below. Had an uptick to 181.8 lbs but I was true to my calories, carbs, water and exercise so just a normal weight fluctuation. So I lost 30.2 lbs during the 3 month challenge. Which is excellent!

So starting 11/1 at 181.8 lbs with goal of 5 lbs for the month. This 10 lb average / month that has been going on has got to slow down soon, I'm thinking.

Welcome back to past challengers and to the new ones!
    64 yo 5' 4" Heaviest Weight twice-255 lbs, got down to 122 lbs 2010 and kept it off 5 years then got lazy.
    11/1/21-181.8 lbs
    11/7/21-180 lbs! Down 75 lbs. 58 lbs to my 122 lb goal. Did 200 minutes on my Elliptical today, 14.25 miles.[/quote]
    11/14/21-176.6 lbs, Down 78.4 lbs, about 60 % of my 133 lbs loss goal, 5.2 lbs of my 11/1-1/31/22 (or 2/1/22 AM) 15 lb goal. Have been bumping up my Elliptical, was up to 210 minutes (3.5 hours) Today I did 223 minutes because I wanted to finish the last 10 minutes of the last movie and I wanted the 16 mile mark!

11/21-177.4 lbs, Yuck! But has to be water weight as I stuck to my calorie and water goals. So it's ok. Also I have been losing 10 lbs/month and expected it to slow down a month or 2 ago. Guess it's now.

11/25/21-176.8 lbs! Not my normal weigh in day but some of this water weight finally dropped, so I had to share. Did only meat and broccoli, no gravy, for my Thanksgiving lunch. But I did try a small amout of a homemade flan, as I have tried it before and I am dulging in a piece of pumpkin cheesecake right now. I did 217 minutes on my Elliptical this AM and hope it wards off a gain. I'm still below my calorie allotment with the exercise. (3810 allowed) Estimated calories at just under 1300 but hard to log when you don't know the recipes. But I am savoring every bite. Crossing my fingers.

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,327 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Age 61 / height 5' 4.5"

8/13/2021 - 298.8 (SW & ATH)
    October- 278.8 (Down 20!)

11/1/2021- 280.0 (darn Halloween 🎃)
    11/5/2021- 277.8
    11/7-19/2021- vacation
    11/25/2021- 274.0

I will be in Hawaii 🌴 (on Kauai,  cannot wait) from Nov 7-18th so unable to weigh in then - seriously considered bringing the ⚖ but too heavy! I normally weigh in almost daily but will record weekly, Fridays or Sundays if not at home Friday morning.

November goals-
    [●] Get Fitbit charged & synced and start tracking steps  - DONE!
    [○] Go for minimum 15 minute walk each day when at home (will do a ton more on vacation!) - Missed a few days, but not on vacation - had good activity while away!
    [○] Get my water in, minimum 6 glasses, especially while away - doing pretty good on this goal, peeing a lot 🤭
    [●] Continue tracking food daily, making  best guesses & choices while away - DONE!
    [●] Get right back on track once home - OH YEAH!!
    [●] November Weight Loss Goal- 275 - MET!

I am super happy to be down after my vacation,  I was up exactly 2 lbs the day after my return, but got back to proper eating habits + focused on getting my water in, and today saw a new number on the scale  - yay! And it beats my 5 lb goal for November.  I will check it again on Sunday just to be sure 😜.

I tried to catch up on reading posts!
    The Libra (android) / Happy Scale (apple) just upsets me, I do not get the trend at all, it seems when I post a gain it goes berserk and needs many losses to calm down again lol, I probably should just delete it 😄
    The oompa loompa song is in my brain 🎶
    Made mental notes about the tape measure. 📏

Hope all my neighbours to the south had a lovely Thanksgiving ❤
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    48 yo 5’3” 6/2013 SW 277
    November goal - lose 3 lbs
    11/1 184
    11/8 182
    11/19 179.6 - hit goal!!
    11/26 178.4 - TOM so actually doing well
    11/30

Use true grit, dig deep and pray for the virtue of mortification!

My non-scale goals:

🦃 Walk 3 miles every single day (up from 2 miles last month!!) Now walk faster!! Then longer!!
    🦃 Be patient! and remember that increments are where it is at - every little bit really does count
    🦃 Be grateful and give thanks every single day, more than once a day!
    🦃 Remember: Total loss of 98.6 lbs!! (next month could be the 100 lbs gone)

NSV: Today I finally did a 3mph speed for an hour!!!!! Yep, first time ever! I usually lumber around at 2mph and my hips - oooh, the pain. So I wiki’d how to walk faster and found out what I was walking all wrong. So, I thought to go faster I needed a longer stride - and it turns out THAT was what was killing my hips. I actually needed to do super short strides!!! The awesome part? It was easier to go 3mph than it has been to go 2mph!! So long story short, I am really stupid and didn’t know how to walk!! Thanks wiki!!

So instead of taking 2 hours to walk 3.5 miles... you get the picture. Of course, my ultimate goal is 5 miles every day for life. I think I can do this now! I wasn't sure at first. Hip pain, a long obesity past etc.

I also looked up how much fat I need to lose, instead of only focusing on weight. I have 30ish lbs of fat to lose. So I am changing my maintenance weight to 150 for now. Then I will just recomp - and I shouldn’t weigh that much lighter after that, I should simply be turning fat into muscle - if that is at all possible.
  • MeowScout
    MeowScout Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Lisa, 47, 5’2”, SW 155

11/27 154.5

Hello everyone! I need help, and that’s why I am here. I am not giving up. With only a few days to go, I believe I can manage to track for the rest of the month.

Any words of wisdom from when you finally got going on losing weight?