Hello everyone, so here’s my workout schedule at the gym:

Monday: chest and triceps
Tuesday: back and biceps
Wednesday: legs and shoulders
Thursday: chest and triceps
Friday: back and biceps
Saturday: legs and shoulders
Sunday: day off

I’d like to add push-ups to my workout. Which days should I do push-ups?

TIA

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    On one hand, pushups are ok to do every day, regardless what other types of exercise you're performing. But if you're asking about which day to add them to during the workout, probably the chest/tris. Specifically, use them as part of your warmup, or a pre-exhaust technique (e.g. set pushups, immediately do set of DB fly's) or added to one of the chest sets to become a superset (i.e. set of bench press, rack the weight and immediately drop to floor for a set of pushups, then rest). You can also do a pushup tri-set...10 reps incline pushups (feet lower than hands), 10 reps regular pushups, 10 reps decline pushups (feet elevated, like on a bench). Back in my active duty days, I loved to do a Super-7 Set:

10 reps regular
    10 reps hands extra wide
    10 reps hands narrow, elbows along ribs
    10 reps normal spaced hands, hands twisted so fingers face out 90 degrees
    10 reps hands twisted in 90 degrees
    10 reps diamond pushups (thumbs and pointer fingers touching in shape of a diamond below chest)
    10 reps fingertip pushups (all five fingers)

Do all 7 sets in a row, rest two minutes, repeat. Pushups are a wonderful device to work the chest, shoulders and tris, but also the core in keeping torso straight. A few years ago I chose to give up my gym membership to pay for my kids' (plural) braces, and that year did 100,000 pushups.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: at the end of your chest day. Do regular and diamond pushups to failure.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Depending on hand and foot positioning, you can decide - just one source:

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/chest-exercises/top-15-pushup-variations/

(I'm doing isometric holds in several to rest some shoulder soreness.)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Chest/tris