Exercise question

Options
Hey all- Just a question of what I should do here...... I do a total-body weightlifting circuit routine 3 days a week. I've been doing it since August and it's really helped me get back in shape and lose weight. Also during the week I play in a hockey league. The games are at night, some starting as late as 1040 pm. So, I nap after work, eat a light meal, play, then come home to eat something again and go to bed. I'm lucky with 4-5 hours sleep on those nights. My question is this- I did my weight routine this past Monday. Last night I had a game at 1030. I was going to do my workout again today (Wednesday) BUT-I have another game tonight at 1030. Can I skip the weight routine today and do it tomorrow instead? Hockey is obviously cardio, and great exercise too, but I'm wondering if I'd overdo it with both today. Thanks

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It sounds pretty intense, and I understand how it feels to try to push hard on little sleep. My questions would be the following:
    - are you training for something specific (i.e. a meet or comp), or just to be healthy and feel good?
    - are you tired, or feeling exhausted?
    - what is your body and mind saying to the idea of both a workout AND a game?

If you're not training for a specific timeframe, then I don't see a reason why you can't move your lift day to tomorrow. That said, if you feel like you have enough energy, then do both. It all depends on your goals and how your body is communicating with you.

Either way, sounds like you're winning, and your profile progress pic supports that!

Well done!
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It sounds pretty intense, and I understand how it feels to try to push hard on little sleep. My questions would be the following:
    - are you training for something specific (i.e. a meet or comp), or just to be healthy and feel good?

If you're not training for a specific timeframe, then I don't see a reason why you can't move your lift day to tomorrow. That said, if you feel like you have enough energy, then do both. It all depends on your goals and how your body is communicating with you.

Either way, sounds like you're winning, and your profile progress pic supports that!

Well done!

I have to admit--I'm pretty tired today. Not "exhausted" but tired. A bit sore as well. I'm trying to lose weight (fat) and seeing a massive difference. Waist size went from 44 to a loose 42. Wearing 2XL shirts instead of 3. I just don't want to push my body too hard and risk injury. I'm not exactly 'young'. I'll be 50 in May :'(
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    stv1520 wrote: »

Well done!

I have to admit--I'm pretty tired today. Not "exhausted" but tired. A bit sore as well. I'm trying to lose weight (fat) and seeing a massive difference. Waist size went from 44 to a loose 42. Wearing 2XL shirts instead of 3. I just don't want to push my body too hard and risk injury. I'm not exactly 'young'. I'll be 50 in May :'(

Working out at 50 (I'm 45) is a different beast than working out at 30. Sometimes we don't bounce back nearly as fast, or become more prone to injury.

My biggest recommendation is to listen to your body. If it tells you it needs a rest, then consider listening to it. Especially if you are not pressing to a hard stop goal date.