Hip surgery

Options
Anyone have hip replacement surgery that has any advice? As far as exercise after and can I still keep trying to lose weight? Should I eat more protein?

Replies

• booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Best wishes on your surgery. I can't answer these questions, but...

My sister just had knee replacement surgery and her one regret was not going into a rehab facility for the first week for the pain management. I don't know if people with hip surgery have the option of going straight home one day after surgery, but she shouldn't have.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am currently planning to have both hips replaced (one at a time). I was told I will be home same day - and that I will be able to exercise as soon as they are healed correctly. I used to run 5 miles every day after work, now walking is a painful struggle. I plan on getting back to working out, and eventually running. My doctor tells me I shouldn't have any limitations afterwards (except maybe going through metal detectors :-) )
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,444 Member
    Options
    Unless your doctor clearly and explicitly says otherwise, I'd encourage you to consider eating at maintenance calories - not losing weight - for a few weeks after surgery. Healing is job #1, and healing requires calories and nutrition (yes, protein, but also other good nutrition).

I kept losing weight after a much more minor surgery (laparoscopic gallbladder removal), and I wouldn't repeat that approach again. It wasn't total healing failure - I was lucky! - but I did get weak and fatigued, which took time to recover from.

I haven't had hip replacement myself, but have several friends who have. Those who got pre-surgery exercises from their doctor (or physical therapist) and did those faithfully before surgery, seemed to do better afterward. (They were also faithful in doing their assigned physical therapy exercises after surgery.)

Wishing you excellent results!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Double hip replacements here. In 2015, I had them done when I was 218 lbs. - down from 240. Being so heavy, my scars are longer than they would be for a thinner person and I wasn't eligible for the anterior version. I spent three days in the hospital with each hip. While I did lose some weight before surgery, I didn't reduce my calories while my body was in healing mode.

I remained obese until 2020, didn't get serious about weight loss until last spring and am now at a healthy weight. I exercise 30 minutes on a rebounder (mini-trampoline) just about every day and am completely pain free. However, I can no longer deep squat or get up from a squat.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on here who had hip surgery earlier this year? maybe last. She doesnt come on the forums much i dont think but ill see if i cant send her this way. She is getting ready to go out of town so no promises.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Anyone have hip replacement surgery that has any advice? As far as exercise after and can I still keep trying to lose weight? Should I eat more protein?

I recommend finding a surgeon that does SUPERPATH. I was home same day, did my physio and walked as much as I could. Off the cane in 4 days. Less down time, minimal to no restrictions and my scar is impossible to see unless you know to look. I did a lot of homework and was bone on bone.
    Back at the gym rehabbing about 2 months later and moderate lifting 3 months. Ortho said only no running for about 6 months and at that point I did a Spartan super. It was the shittiest one in history but it was done. Lol. Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    shes on her phone so cant pop on here but her brief comment was

' Tell them to find a surgeon who does Superpath. It's same day, little to no restrictions and less down time.

I was home same day. Walking on a cane for a few days. Did the physio at home, Walked as much as I could and unassisted after about 4 days.
    Only took the cane for back up and my safety blanket. '

I know she was fairly fit and not overweight to begin with. She did a Spartan this year (though errr probably SHOULD NOT HAVE IF YOURE READING THIS JAXX' ahem. anyway. she did. and completed it. so, theres that. we are doing another in april with another friend, maybe more if we can find more victims, i mean friends. ;)

wanna play? BAHAHAHAAA i need someone in worse shape than me, cause im the weakest link on this team LOLOL ;)

• callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    jaxxie wrote: »

I recommend finding a surgeon that does SUPERPATH. I was home same day, did my physio and walked as much as I could. Off the cane in 4 days. Less down time, minimal to no restrictions and my scar is impossible to see unless you know to look. I did a lot of homework and was bone on bone.
    Back at the gym rehabbing about 2 months later and moderate lifting 3 months. Ortho said only no running for about 6 months and at that point I did a Spartan super. It was the shittiest one in history but it was done. Lol. Good luck!

oh well, theres the wench ;)

love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Weight and age may determine what type of surgery will work best for you. A male workmate of mine had a version of the SP, but he was relatively fit and at a healthy weight. I lost 22 lbs. before surgery but was still obese. I did take up weight lifting to improve my arm strength pre-op since I would be using a walker during rehab.

Things I found helpful in my rather long recovery:

Raised toilet seat with hand rails
    Sock put-er-on'er
    stiff leg lift strap
    resistance bands for PT (and having places to mount them!) If you can, do the post-op PT exercises before surgery. It WILL help.
    slip-on shoes
    long grabber reacher
    bed tray
    electric extension cables to make chargers and other devices closer and easier to plug in.
    electric kettle in bedroom

• lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had an Anterior Total Hip Replacement a couple of years ago. It is amazing to think that I WALKED the same day as the surgery, stayed in the hospital overnight, attended physical therapy the next day and was discharged! I was home in late afternoon. I used a walker for about a week and then a cane and then nothing. I have a 3" scar on my upper thigh and that's it. You'd have to look for it to notice it.

There are some exercises you should not do, as someone with a hip replacement. There are certain positions that are not best for you. My doctor was board-certified and provided me with written information about how to move, positions to favor, when and how to work out, etc. You should ask your surgeon to provide information to you about post-surgical movement and exercise. As much as your MFP friends want to share their story - myself included - its your doctor who should help guide you with regard to diet and exercise. Even though I was mobile and only missed 4 work days in total to have my new hip, I had pain for a while. Still, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat! Hope you feel the same after your procedure!
  • steelrod1
    steelrod1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey all, great info above. I'm 63 now had a THR right side in 2008. Was a struggle at first took some time but got back to running lifting. Not as good as before and at times mostly after really pushing myself like 10 mile runs, my hip would freeze up for a few days. Don't run much anymore but intense treadmill and elliptical is possible. I've been sedentary for a few years now and been working hard again for a few months now. Hip is good and working short runs into my workout after a good warm up, 60 min treadmill and then 30 hard on elliptical. Warm up is essential.