Weight Load & Distance from Center / Using Unfamiliar Equipment

Options
During the holidays I'll be using a commercial gym (YMCA) with weight machines and Olympic barbells & weights. I currently use a 6' standard bar & weights for squats, deadlifts, rows, and bench. The 6' standard works better for my home setup spatially and allows me to lift below 45lbs for warmup sets. I have a 7' standard with collars ~6" further from center on each side and when using it for squats I've noticed the weight tends to feel heavier; i.e. squatting 280lbs feels lighter/easier with the 6' bar. I'm curious as to the science behind this and if others experience the same feeling. I could always use machines instead of free weights and/or lower free weights, as I'm unfamiliar with the equipment. I wanted to get thoughts on how you all tackle situations like this. Thanks!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Many reasons why you might off felt different.

1. The tolerance of uncalibrated weights is high so you can be 3lb heavier or lighter per plate. If you lift at home you are using the same plates so regardless what they actually weigh, they weigh the same every time. Hence why micro plates are virtually useless for what people use them for if you are going strictly by the number suggested in a comercial settinng for everything.
    2. You could of been using a squat bar that weighed 55 or 65lbs.
    3. You could of been using a more whippy bar or possibly a cheaper barbell which makes it more difficult. Being the YMCA I would hazard they use cheap barbells.
    4. You could of been more fatigued one day
    5. Your diet could be altered for performance.

I use auto regulation for my training so numbers are useful for targets of the day but not necessarily actual of the training session. I don't concern about the actual weight a lot unless I'm using calibrated weights. Regardless I concentrate on the dosed exertion for the set only. Meaning on my working sets I could be squatting 425, 450, or 475 in more extreme conditions and the barbell might say 450 for three different days. I literally don't care unless a meet is coming as long as I hit my RPE.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've noticed on shorter barbells they are stiffer, less bounce to them generally.

Especially if longer bar has more whip to it, more bend/bouncy effect, perhaps due to slightly smaller grip diameter too besides just being longer.

Of course that only matters when moving the bar, dropping fast or shooting up possibly making it more noticeable as you get a bit extra bounce - and that should mean harder as some energy is going into the bar - if weight is indeed equal.

Same reason stiff bike allows more power to go into the road not flex the frame.

But those other 5 points above more likely, unless able to compare in a controlled way.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Have you weighed your 2 bars and confirmed they are the same weight?
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Have you weighed your 2 bars and confirmed they are the same weight?

Yes, both are 15lbs.