What do women wear lifting?

Options
Maybe this is a weird question, but what do other women wear lifting?

I'm a minimalist, so I don't like having a whole LOT of clothes. However, after having a kid & my body/style changing, I'm looking at getting rid of several leggings & am thinking about what to replace them with. I'd like to be stylish, so I try to be thoughtful when I buy pieces.

Pics would be appreciated.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    whatever you feel comfortable in?

whatever wont get caught up on equipment or weights.

I have 8,653 pairs of leggings. my best friend sold lularoe for a long time and when she got out of it, let me raid her stock for free and wrote it off as a donation. LMAO. ill never have to buy leggings again unless i want to.

most of my tops for weight lifting are more fitted, simply for comfort and to not get caught up on anything. for cardio and running.... ill wear whatever it is i find first.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Whatever you feel most comfortable in! At my gym I see women lifting in sweat pants and hoodies, and others in leggings in sports bras. I prefer leggings and a tank top, though I wear a lot of my old t-shirts that I'm too nostalgic to throw away to the gym as well. I also usually have a long sleeved shirt or pullover as well, because my gym is always freezing.

I thought I would throw in as well, that depending on your budget, Walmart and Old Navy have really stepped up their active wear section in the last few years and it's all really affordable.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    I'm not your target audience, I think.

When I lift, I wear plain gray leggings and an inexpensive t-shirt, same thing I wear for rowing (on water and machine, but add a jacket/wind pants on water as it gets colder), stationary biking. I don't like tech fabrics I've tried, so the t-shirts are usually cotton or blends. Outdoor biking, I sub cycling leggings, or cycling liner + other pants not as tight as leggings, usually black. I don't like shorts for exercise (my bad knees stay happier out of open air), can't wear sports bras (post-mastectomy, they'd ride up to my chin like a 4-year-old girl's bikini top). All my outdoor exercise shirts/jackets are neon fluorescent safety colors, in hopes of reducing chances I'll be taken out by cars or powerboats.

"Inexpensive, versatile, durable, practical" is my motto for exercise wear.

My rowing buddy J., who's more stylish, has a giant wardrobe of color-matched shorts, pants, capris, shirts, sports bras, socks, shoes, jackets, hats, for both rowing and gym wear including lifting. She's a recreational shopper, usually buys with discounts, at sales, etc. She looks nice. I don't.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Squat proof leggings, shorts when it’s hot, sports crop top and tshirt 🤷‍♂️ I’m afraid I resemble a beetroot and get sweaty so stylish is not an adjective anyone would associate with me in the gym 🤣
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,558 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I don't like loose clothing... Drives me crazy for the most part. If I'm deadlifting, I wear tights or capris. If it's warm, then I wear shorts. Top wise I'm in a tank or sports bra, depending on how I feel about myself that day.

For tights... I love love love GRRRL clothing next level tights. They're squat proof and long enough for me (I'm 6'1 with a 36" inseam). For sports bras... Born Primitive.

(get on both mailing lists and wait for sales lol)
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm also a beetroot, I like Target and Kmarts (Australia) range of exercise tights, I actually wear the bike pants under my skirts, wear the 3/4 pants for exercise and the full length ones for horse riding when I can't be bothered squeezing in to my jodphurs. All the ones I have mentioned have POCKETS big enough to stash my phone, my keys, a couple dog poo bags and my earphones case.
    I prefer cotton over technical fabrics but there isn't a great deal of squat proof/sweat proof cotton leggings/tights out there. I wear a Kmart sports bra under a singlet or tee with back cutouts for extra cooling/style.
    I don't worry so much about the label as the colours and feel of the item on. My favourite clothing is in shades of green, black and grey. I think I paid about $100 AUD for about 5 items of clothing? The sports bras were on clearance at $3 each hooray
    Sometimes I steal (borrow) my teenage sons tee shirts just because I can.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The cold weather uniform for female lifters at my gym seems to be a gray hoodie (which gets hung up on the rack as people come in) over a logo T and sweat pants. Summer, it’s capris and a t shirt. The more serious the lifter the more likely to be wearing something ratty which looks like the last thing clean on laundry day.

I usually wear whatever is cheap and has tummy support but recently I randomly bought some Jessica Simpson brand leggings and a running jacket with thumb holes, put the jacket over a Brooks running shirt which was way too silky and form fitting to make me comfortable without a jacket over it, and my husband says dang you look good… actually you look RICH, you look like you have a stylist or something. Since this is a rare outfit success for me I thought I would share - I have no particular interest in Jessica or her clothing line but the leggings are excellent, squat proof, and really flattering!

The only real rule of gym clothes is don’t wear loose shorts which flap open and show your bits when you lie back on a bench!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I wear knock-off Lululemon gear from Costco because it's first cheap and better made than Lululemon.

For me, I don't really worry about stylish, I think a fit body is stylish enough.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    High waisted workout leggings, sports bra, fairly slim-fit T shirt, long sleeved T shirt underneath if it's chilly, socks, Metcons.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I wear tight compressive type leggings and a tight tank to yoga, and have generally either just left a hot yoga class or am headed to one before or after
    lifting. I don’t bother to change.

If it’s chilly, I like a tight running type or Lulu zip jacket.

I like tight gear because
    A.) it stays in place and I hate tugging pants up
    and shirts down, worrying that something’s going to gap at an inappropriate time, or (during yoga, obviously) doing a headstand and worrying that my top is going to puddle on my shoulders, exposing a giant expanse of bare belly (see B. )

B.) it tactfully holds in the extra skin from weight loss

C.) I don’t care for sleeves in the gym, or clothing bunching up under me on the bench. Just a personal preference.

D.)won’t lie. I love the bad *kitten* look of my arm and shoulder muscles after an upper body session while wearing a compression tank. It’s my personal, private and secret “yeah I DID lose some weight, didn’t I?” moment every so often.

E.) I favor bright colors with busy patterns to avoid see-thru issues (and also because who doesn’t love insanely bright colors?)

The other gals in my gym are mostly competitive lifters and they favor logo T’s and plain shorts or sweats.

But nobody judges. I never even thought about what they wear til you asked.

I am a massive fan of K-Deer and Yoga Democracy leggings and occasionally, when feeling extra confident, matching bras or crops. (I would never ever wear a crop to the gym, though. Ewwwwww, for a thousand reasons.). Their gear is so thin it feels like wearing nothing at all, no see-thru, and stays like-new and unfazed through dozens and dozens of wears. Lulu’s “cool” series tops are my fave tanks.

And whatever else you do, don’t wear white or pale anything to the gym. Have learned that the hard way. Again, ewwwwwww for a thousand reasons.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    for me:

warm/hot weather: shorts & tee or tank/stringer

colder weather: leggings for upper body days, shorts (under sweatpants until I get warmed up) for lower body days (dunno why but I really don't like squatting in leggings and I don't want to destroy my clothes by raking the bar's knurling against the shins/thighs during deadlifts), hoodie (once again just till I get warmed up enough to take it off) over tee or tank/stringer

sports bra & barefoot/zero drop style shoes year round

I'm there to GSD, not be cute, so I'm not all matchy-matchy or anything. Like @AnnPT77 said, practical/inexpensive/functional/etc is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    for me:

warm/hot weather: shorts & tee or tank/stringer

colder weather: leggings for upper body days, shorts (under sweatpants until I get warmed up) for lower body days (dunno why but I really don't like squatting in leggings and I don't want to destroy my clothes by raking the bar's knurling against the shins/thighs during deadlifts), hoodie (once again just till I get warmed up enough to take it off) over tee or tank/stringer

sports bra & barefoot/zero drop style shoes year round

I'm there to GSD, not be cute, so I'm not all matchy-matchy or anything. Like @AnnPT77 said, practical/inexpensive/functional/etc is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

I love that you would rather rake the bar over bare skin than your clothes. That’s hardcore!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    When it's not hot I wear high-waist capris or leggings, usually with some amount of compression. Too much compression affects my digestion--yay! I wear some kind of tank or t-shirt, and when it's colder throw some kind of long-sleeve shirt or hoodie on over it. I get almost all of my stuff from Old Navy or Fabletics, and kind of have a problem with getting too much workout wear!
  • springlering62
    Options
    ….I….kind of have a problem with getting too much workout wear!

👎🏻 Where’s the “disagree violently” button?

There is no such thing as too much workout wear.

It should be hang drying in your closet, laundry room, and hallway, as well as spilling out of your carefully Kondo’d dresser drawers.

And don’t forget the neatly folded pile waiting to be put away.

Then - and only then - are you approaching the “almost enough” zone.

But never, ever too much.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Leggings, t shirt (I don’t get how people can do fitness indoors I. Long sleeves), socks that I can tuck my leggings Into, knees sleeves for squats, wrist wraps for squat and bench, lever belt for squats and deadlifts, and wrestling shoes for deads. Oh and chalk. If my hands are in bad shape and I’m doing a deadlift variation (i.e: pauses or volume RDLs), the straps come out. In the summer and competition prep, I do shorts, knee high socks and baby powder to prevent the bar from sticking to my meaty thighs.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Leggings, t shirt (I don’t get how people can do fitness indoors I. Long sleeves), socks that I can tuck my leggings Into, knees sleeves for squats, wrist wraps for squat and bench, lever belt for squats and deadlifts, and wrestling shoes for deads. Oh and chalk. If my hands are in bad shape and I’m doing a deadlift variation (i.e: pauses or volume RDLs), the straps come out. In the summer and competition prep, I do shorts, knee high socks and baby powder to prevent the bar from sticking to my meaty thighs.

Also, Olympic lifting shoes for squats and bench.

I am not picky about my brands. I do love fabletics for their functional yet cute pocketed leggings. If you get the VIP discount they’re super cute. My favorite workout shorts I have are fleos. Comfortable and cute designs. Plus no riding up. Would love some cute ones with deep pockets but I find having something in pockets can throw you off during heavier lifts anyway.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Sweat pants or leggings with pockets which ever is close at hand. Random t-shirt usually from a concert or recently mandalorian, if I'm lifting after work I usually just go with my undershirt.
  • meb2490
    meb2490 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you are most comfortable in. I don't even own leggings. I know that everybody wears them but I feel they are not flattering on my body. When I work out I wear a pair of Under Armour Compression shorts and over that I wear my Champion soccer shorts. For the top my Champion sportsbra and any racerback top. I prefer solid colors - no logos or cray cray patterns. It's difficult finding any type of clothing without giant logos. I cannot workout in anything other than shorts. There is only one other woman I see at my gym that wears shorts. I would die if I had leggings on. They feel so constricting while working out.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I wear tight compressive type leggings and a tight tank to yoga, and have generally either just left a hot yoga class or am headed to one before or after

and shirts down, worrying that something’s going to gap at an inappropriate time, or (during yoga, obviously) doing a headstand and worrying that my top is going to puddle on my shoulders, exposing a giant expanse of bare belly (see B. )

C.) I don’t care for sleeves in the gym, or clothing bunching up under me on the bench. Just a personal preference.

D.)won’t lie. I love the bad *kitten* look of my arm and shoulder muscles after an upper body session while wearing a compression tank. It’s my personal, private and secret “yeah I DID lose some weight, didn’t I?” moment every so often.

E.) I favor bright colors with busy patterns to avoid see-thru issues (and also because who doesn’t love insanely bright colors?)

The other gals in my gym are mostly competitive lifters and they favor logo T’s and plain shorts or sweats.

I am a massive fan of K-Deer and Yoga Democracy leggings and occasionally, when feeling extra confident, matching bras or crops. (I would never ever wear a crop to the gym, though. Ewwwwww, for a thousand reasons.). Their gear is so thin it feels like wearing nothing at all, no see-thru, and stays like-new and unfazed through dozens and dozens of wears. Lulu’s “cool” series tops are my fave tanks.

And whatever else you do, don’t wear white or pale anything to the gym. Have learned that the hard way. Again, ewwwwwww for a thousand reasons.

Where do you buy these brands? I looked on Amazon and they are super pricey.
    I usually wear Old Navy... everything. Powersoft leggings with side pockets. They also have powersoft joggers and bike shorts. I also wear their muscle tanks and sometimes racer back tanks. I use bucks back and pay next to nothing for my clothes.
  • springlering62
    Options

Where do you buy these brands? I looked on Amazon and they are super pricey.
    I usually wear Old Navy... everything. Powersoft leggings with side pockets. They also have powersoft joggers and bike shorts. I also wear their muscle tanks and sometimes racer back tanks. I use bucks back and pay next to nothing for my clothes.

I’m a big fan of Yoga Democracy and k-Deer leggings.

They’re expensive, but once you are in their email loop, they’ll send you great deals, and purchases quickly accumulate points that give substantial discounts.

They wash up like a dream, hang dry overnight, and I’ve never had an issue with my butt showing through because the patterns are so bright. They very thin but supportive in my waist, where my weight loss “plank udders” are.

I also just got my first pair of LuLu leggings and am surprised how much I like them. I have residual anger issues with that chain, though, after being slighted by some mean-girl employees at a couple of locations while I was still obese. Yeah, almost 60, and that kind of behavior still makes me see red. Go figure. The ONLY reason I buy their stuff is because my local studio carries a small selection and I’m very invested in supporting them. So many studios are shutting down.