Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member

Ooooo polls.

New?

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

Cashiers ?

They usually don’t talk me, they’re just too busy stuffing unmarked bills into a canvas bag and avoiding eye contact.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

If they bother to ask, I fake nice, tell 'em I'm fine and ask them back.

Most cashiers don't get paid enough or like their job/customers enough to ask. :/

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member

I self-checkout largely, though not entirely, to avoid such nonsensical conversations.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member

I say it's going well but that's mostly because I've been going to the same market for years, know most of the long time cashiers, and don't want to put my *kitten* on them.

I'm more than happy to ask them what's wrong when they're a bit moody tho.

• NeedCaffeinee
    NeedCaffeinee Posts: 105 Member

I just say it's going well even when it isn't. I'm sure most just ask to be polite/out of courtesy.

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member

I usually make polite chit-chat with them because hey, you never know how *kitten* their day might have been, what with working in retail and all.. so I have some sympathy. And if they are polite enough to converse with me, I can at least give them the benefit of the doubt and chit-chat away to make their day brighter, even if mine was terrible.

No need for my bad (potential) day to be pushed on them.

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member

They were a lot of friendlier when they didn't have to wear masks 24/7, I don't blame them. It's a public policy in my province that is still in effect today.

• FoodWasOnceLove
    FoodWasOnceLove Posts: 1 Member

I tend to be transactional in exchanges with retail staff. In this scenario we all share the goal of cooperating, I think, so the chit-chat that goes along with it is just meant to support this goal.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    OT but when I shop at Walmart, there's always been a choice of several cashier check-outs, as well as self-check-outs involving both cash and card. Now the only place you can pay cash is through a cashier aisle. They had 1 cashier manned aisle open yesterday and the line waiting was wayyyyy too long to even contemplate. Hope they realize their mistake. Wow, was my sister PO'ed.
  • rm6335920
    rm6335920 Posts: 256 Member
    I tend to be nice to the cashier even if they don't look like they are having a good day at all
  • boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    I always test and don't select