One free day a week?

Options
2»

Replies

• BaconSlanger
    BaconSlanger Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    HAVE A CHEAT DAY! I actually use the whole weekend to sorta eat some favs of mine. I don't over do it of course, but it'll help you from just having a crazy bad binge day then hating yourself and making yourself starve after. Trust me, cheat days are good. Can't just deprive your body from what you love.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This is an example of what (ch)Eat Day should NOT look like, lmao:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/TitaniaEcks?date=2013-08-24
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One aspect of not eating junk food/sugar etc for some time is that you lose the taste for it. This then helps long term for cravings etc. So a cheat day then readjusts your tastes to the junk, and you never quite lose the cravings.

So going cold turkey on unhealthy foods is easier in the long run, or at least in my experience.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think cheat meals/days are fine once in a while. Most importantly when you've earned it with exercise to help offset the extra calories. If I've pushed myself especially hard, I'm a little more lenient about allowing myself a small treat from it. There are nights that I cook for my family or for my kids at work when they are having something fairly unhealthy (i.e. pizza, burgers) with a lot of calories and fat or when I might be going out to eat somewhere, and I have to make that decision - eat something different myself or indulge. I usually cut the portion down, and as long as I don't go more than 200-300 calories over what I expected for that meal, I don't sweat it. It also helps to compensate on those days during your other meals. Eat a healthier breakfast and lunch to scale back your calories so that you don't go over your goal for the day. Yes, some people are committed to a complete diet and lifestyle change, but especially if you are just starting to adjust your habits, you're more willing to stick with it if you don't sacrifice everything. Then, too, you won't binge and cheat just to satisfy a craving. I usually reserve my "cheats" for when I've burned a LOT of calories for the day. Push an extra hour or an extra mile and don't be afraid to reward yourself. That being said, I think it's best to stay away from the big no-nos - fast food, processed food, heavy sweets. Keep your portions small, and if there is a substitute option that may be healthier, go for it (i.e. grilled vs. fried). I think it's okay to allow yourself those favorite foods as long as you don't overindulge. Like eating a correct serving of potato chips or a few blocks of chocolate versus the whole bag/bar, a scoop of ice cream instead of a pint. Allowing yourself those small indulgences keeps you motivated, I think, as long as you fit it into your diet. Remember, too, that there are always substitutions. Look for a different brand of your favorite snack that might be healthier. Something sugar free, for instance. And if it's something like pizza or fried foods that you favor, think of ways that you can recreate the same in a much healthier recipe and cook at home. Then, you're not sacrificing a meal you love, just adjusting it to meet your new diet. I can give some tips in that area, if you need. Just about everything you may enjoy can be recreated in a healthier option with fewer calories. Then, you don't feel like you need to cheat at all.
  • Dechant63
    Options
    You really should do a cheat MEAL not a chest DAY! I usually still fit my cheat mean in my macros and calories.
  • WestCoastMom
    WestCoastMom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is a good topic! Thanks for all your input.....I can see that moderation is the key :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You really should do a cheat MEAL not a chest DAY! I usually still fit my cheat mean in my macros and calories.
    And yet you still call it "cheating"? Sounds like a very healthy attitude you have there. :huh:
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a free day every Sunday since sometimes church people get together and eat and you never can tell how many calories are in homemade foods.
    So allowing myself to enjoy one day without logging calories, I have successfully lost weight almost every week. It seems surprising to me because I think I blew it, but when I get on the scale sometime the next week, I find I am down another pound.

I believe depriving yourself completely sets you up for failure. Anyway it seems most days I am way under my calorie limit and have to search for things to eat to get 1200 calories in.

PS- I believe I heard Dr Oz mention something about having the doughnut once in a while can actually boost your metabolism.
    :smile:
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Twice a month I allow myself a free for all day. But I still to keep it within my maintenance level (sooo I aim not to go over 2300-2500). The odd time I will, but despite what I eat I log it all. It keeps me accountable. And I only do it when I have something planned the next day to keep me busy. If I don't have something big the next day, I will fall into a bad cycle.

For example, I had a cheat day Friday. I ate 2400 calories. But I worked a 9 hour shift the next day. So I was busy all day and ate within my calories.
  • I have 2 cheat days a week. One were I have one unhealthy snack (it doesn't make any difference whatsoever). And then days when I fast, when the fast is finished I eat some unhealthy stuff. But I try to eat clean monday-friday. And when I eat unhealthy after I fast I try to keep the calories under 1200. And my random cheat day, just my normal calorie goal and exercise. :)
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    If it helps, I lost 20 lbs having 2 free days (the weekends) a week. I did keep a mental boundary though and I did not binge.