Fitbit Users : SOS Help!

Options
Need fast advice on which Fitbit watch and band model work best with MFP.

Both users have Android phones.

He wants a watch, she wants a band type tracker. We’ve just realized some models are a lot cheaper here in the US than elsewhere, so time is of the essence, since return flight Saturday morning.

They want to track exercise, running, walking and sync to MFP.

I’m only familiar with Apple Watch, so I’m not sure what to ask for. If there’s a visual similar to closing Apple rings, that’d be great. Calendar, stopwatch, alarm clock, timer, Spotify, reminders all welcome.

I’m totally at sea. Looks like some models will permit accepting calls or texts as long as the phone is nearby? They don’t want a subscription if at all possible, and definitely not a phone plan for the device.

Both are apprentices, so money is tight, so least expensive model is helpful.

Anything else we should know?

Thanks so much, you MFP wizards, you!!!!

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I don't sync my Fitbit to MFP, so can't speak to that specifically. I have a Fitbit Versa 2 watch and like it way more than I ever thought I would. It has the functions that you mentioned. It's one version older than the current Versa 3, so is about half the price. A quick check on Amazon had the Versa 2 at about $120 compared to $210 for the Versa 3. You probably don't want to risk shipping at this point, but it's a quick price check.
  • lmgoff232
    lmgoff232 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge 4. Not the prettiest, but works well, and I have not had any issues setting up and syncing to my Android and MFP. It shows the time and tracks steps, sleep, and activities (you can pick your top 6 activities such as running, elliptical, etc in the app and then just indicate start/stop on the watch). I also get little buzzes every hour to remind me to move if I haven't moved enough.

There is also GPS to track distance for outdoor activities, but I believe it needs to be near a phone for that. Otherwise any steps/activity done while not near the phone will sync up once it comes back within distance of the phone.. It also has the ability to do Spotify somehow, but I haven't set that up yet.

Without using the GPS, it lasts about a week before it needs to be charged. Holds up well to water. I have noticed that it doesn't count my elliptical steps very well (undercounts), but I haven't had any issues with the accuracy for walking or running. I got mine off amazon for about $100, but would imagine you would need to find something in store

Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you know I just upgraded to the apple watch (which i much prefer, but neither here nor there)

i had the inspire HR. it was a lower level fitbit, so didnt have some of the newer features that some of the fitbit models may have.

I never had many of the syncing problems some people have, and it was reasonably accurate as far as steps/calories burned, etc. I know there were features on it that I did NOT use, I pretty much used it as an activity tracker for calories burned. it did not have spotify or anything like that. some newer models may (not sure), but then you might be getting into a price point where you could do an older model apple watch or similar. On the model I had you could read texts but not respond/reply. i turned that feature off, personally. I think it also showed incoming calls. again, features I chose not to use.
  • luxia2020
    luxia2020 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit Charge 2 before I moved over to the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2. Both syncs up pretty well to MFP, though I think it was smoother on the Galaxy Watch after the new update. The Fitbit didn't give me "smartwatch" abilities or play music, though it nicely tracks fitness and sleep levels.
    If you want visuals similar to Apple's Rings, then the Samsung watch also has those features, in a heart shape. Samsung watch also has exercise trackers, a heartbeat sensor, a sleep tracker, a stress level tracker, a calendar, stopwatch, alarm clock, timer, Spotify/YouTube Music/etc., and reminders. It also syncs up to my phone for texts and calls. I bought my Samsung watch for cheap on Amazon with no subscription stuff attached. I believe you can use the Samsung watch as a standalone, but it pairs best with a Samsung phone and/or Samsung's Health app. Otherwise, if you can get the Fitbit Versa without a subscription plan and on the cheap, that would be the next best thing, in my opinion.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, guys. She ended up choosing the Fitbit Luxe. It seemed to do everything she wanted and Costco had it for only $89.99, so the price was right.
  • cowsanddogsarecute
    cowsanddogsarecute Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Versa 2 or 3 or the lite versions for a watch version. Never had issues with syncing. Fairly accurate burns. For the Apple rings, you can change clock faces on the watches so you could find one quite similar. And yes phone needs to be close by to get calls and texts on watch.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    For using with MFP I don't think the model of the Fitbit matters - they all use the same Fitbit app/software. The size, features, etc. that you prefer should be considered. I have the Versa 3 now, and my Hubs has the Sense. The Sense has a few extra features that I would not use so I didn't see the point in paying $50 more for it... The purchase might include a free trial to Fitbit Premium but its not necessary.

I think some are classified as activity trackers and others as smart watches.