"Overnight Oats"

Options
After reading through a few discussions about the nutritional value of certain grains, i.e., chia seed, I have discovered that many people enjoy something you've all called "Overnight Oats." I was first introduced to this through my boyfriend the first time I had breakfast at his place. He had a recipe posted on his fridge with the ingredients to a somewhat slimy concoction, yet was delicious and worked like superfood when I ate it before working out.
I'm interested in knowing what you put in your version of "Overnight Oats", as I am looking for some modifications to keep it exciting.

Here is his recipe:

1 cup nonfat milk
1/3 cup nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup steel cut oats
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tbsp ground chia seed
10 raw almonds or pecan halves
1 tbsp dried cranberries, raisins or,1/4 pineapple chunks or other fresh fruit
1 tbsp peanut or almond butter, or chocolate hazelnut spread
1/4 maple syrup (I omitted this after I realized how much sugar it contains!)

Leave overnight and eat in the morning.

Now, what's your recipe?

Replies

• JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    1 cup plain greek yogurt
    1/4 rolled oats
    1Tbs chia seeds
    1 Tbs maple syrup
    1 cup fresh berries
    1Tbs almond butter
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I just bought a bag of steel cut oats, do they actually get soft over night with no cooking??
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just had some this morning.. 6oz plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, with some chocolate chips, almonds, shredded coconut and a bit of sugar.

I wish I could say I love it though, it's ok. I just make them because it does keep me full for hours.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bag of steel cut oats, do they actually get soft over night with no cooking??

They do, but not as much as with cooking. I've tried the overnight with steel cut and didn't personally care for the consistency. For me, cooking them in the crock pot/slow cooker is the way to go (stove top is fine but takes too much time and tending and I really don't like cooking things in the microwave). Try cooking them different ways and see which you prefer.
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Yes, they also expand!
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options

They do, but not as much as with cooking. I've tried the overnight with steel cut and didn't personally care for the consistency. For me, cooking them in the crock pot/slow cooker is the way to go (stove top is fine but takes too much time and tending and I really don't like cooking things in the microwave). Try cooking them different ways and see which you prefer.

The overnight oats are different in that they are served cold, yet possess the consistency of cooked oatmeal, which tends to congeal if chilled.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I just made my first Overnight oats and the flavour and texture is just amazing. I soaked the oats overnight in Almond milk, then in the morning added mashed banana left for an hour, then heated up (couldn't eat it cold) and added blueberries. I will be making them like this from now on!!!!!!!!!!
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    Options
    But meusli isn't usually left to sit overnight. I know about muesli, I like it very much too, but I'm interested in what people put in theirs, too.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Think it's actually a variation of Bircher Muesli. I mix my oats with fruit yoghurt, a grated apple and some freshly squeezed orange juice for a bit of zing.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Muesli, in this country, consists not of steel cut oats but rolled oats.

I've just bought my first bag of steel cut oats and I look forward to the experience.
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    What exactly are steel cut oats? I'd assumed they were the American name for rolled oats, but that doesn't sound right now.

I use jumbo rolled oats, by the way. Can't stand the porridge oats that are just basically oat dust!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I wanted to try this, too. What's the difference between rolled and steel cut oats?
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    I wanted to try this, too. What's the difference between rolled and steel cut oats?

According to Wikipedia, steel cut is the oat kernel cut into slices and rolled are steamed and rolled to make more of a flake. Steel cut is the least processed.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    I JUST made (and fell head over heels in love with) steel cut oats this morning...in the crock pot!

1 cup steel cut oats
    4 cups water
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 peeled, diced apple
    dash of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves

4 servings

Put on high at 5:15am before working out, house smelled awesome and it was ready to eat at 8:15am!

So freaking good! I sprinkled a bit of Splenda on it (use real sugar or whatever sweetener you prefer) and I am really thinking I'll have another bowl for lunch!!

Our pear tree is bursting with fruit, so later this week, I'll likely make another batch with pears instead of apples.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    big bump!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

According to Wikipedia, steel cut is the oat kernel cut into slices and rolled are steamed and rolled to make more of a flake. Steel cut is the least processed.

Thanks!
  • pammcw
    pammcw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1 c rolled oats
    3/4 c so delicious coconut milk (45 calories per cup)
    Dash of salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    Stevia
    Sliced peaches or blueberries
    Walnuts

Yum!
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I make a protein shake with mine (got a variety of flavours to keep it interesting) and pour it over the oats and leave it to soak in the fridge overnight with berries.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi BernadetteChurch,
    What exactly are steel cut oats? I'd assumed they were the American name for rolled oats, but that doesn't sound right now.

I use jumbo rolled oats, by the way. Can't stand the porridge oats that are just basically oat dust!

Steel cut oats are not rolled oats - as I mentioned above. Rolled oats are flattened so that the grain has been pancaked. Oats that have been 'steel cut' have been cut or sliced across the grain so the oats are cut into pieces about the same size and shape as cous cous.
    I tried my first bowl this morning and they have a different texture to porridge made with rolled oats. They're a bit chewier.
    I've only been able to find them in a health food shop in Australia.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Lalagregg12
    Lalagregg12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't use steel cut oats, I prefer the texture of the old fashioned oats.

1.5 C Old fashioned Oats
    1.5 C Almond Milk
    2 packets of sweetener
    1/8 tsp Vanilla Extract
    2 tbsp chia seeds

Mix ingredients and place in fridge for 30 minutes, separate into 2 containers and add any fruit you would like to top with sliced almonds. I enjoyed it with blueberries and raspberries! Put back in fridge and enjoy the next morning! I also add ground flax seed!