How much water can your body retain after exercising?

Options
I had a little bit of a shock today when I weighed myself in as I apparently gained 2.5 lbs over the week.

I weigh myself weekly, wearing the same outfit at the same time so I was admittedly surprised. Aside from dinner, my diet has been pretty consistent for the past year. I eat the same snacks, breakfast and lunch options in a weekly rotation. I don’t eat out and all of my meals are home cooked (mostly from scratch).

My wife and I did some heavy lifting yesterday as we moved furniture that we picked up from one floor to another. Both of us were feeling the pain an hour or two later and are still sore today. We generally don’t exercise except for going on walks so our bodies were not used to this.

I know that our bodies can retain water after exercising and was wondering if anyone had any idea of what range of retention is possible when this happens? I’m assuming when I weigh myself next week/the week after I should see a significant jump from where I’m at today just based off my experience.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I always carry 2-3 lbs from heavy lifting. But its not fat, so it's not a big deal to me.
  • DupreeTheTRex
    DupreeTheTRex Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I always carry 2-3 lbs from heavy lifting. But its not fat, so it's not a big deal to me.

That’s encouraging, I don’t exercise often but I know I’ve had some experiences with this when I was moving (lots of lifting, painting to prep the house for sale, I was exhausted)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    2lbs isn't a huge amount to gain from exercise/lifting, sounds perfectly normal to me 🙂
  • laurad1978
    laurad1978 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm normally up 2 or 3lbs the day after a big cycle. Usually takes 2 days to go back down.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    I’ve easily gained four or five pounds after exercise related muscle pain or soreness, aka DOMS.

Your body is an amazing creation. Simplified version: Pain is generally due to micro tears in the muscle from exercise or otherwise unfamiliar movements. Your body retains water and directs to to the tender areas for the purpose of healing and recuperation.

Sorta same as when you skin your knee and it oozes. Extra fluid being diverted there to assist in healing.

At some point you’ll relinquish all the water and drop back down.

I’m “looking forward” to a round of DOMS today after being out of the gym the past couple weeks. Yippee (sarcasm) and YIPPEE (joy!). I am trying to pre-drink extra water to see if it’ll help, since I forecast it coming, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any kind of specific amount. If you're sore, you have inflammation, and that will show on the scale.
  • marius_paps
    marius_paps Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am trying to pre-drink extra water to see if it’ll help, since I forecast it coming, lol.

And did it help? Or is it too soon tell?

• marius_paps
    marius_paps Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This whole muscle rebuilding thing still has me puzzled.

How does it work? (it works very well as, indeed, the body is an amazing creation)

I've read somewhere, you're supposed to take protein within 30m of the end of exercise to avoid DOMS.

Well, that ain't true.

But certainly just irrigating the muscles with water isn't going to work either. I suppose it's the water (blood?) that's taking the repair material (nutriments) to the right places (I am making this up :) )

Sleep (c.q. rest) helps, a lot. Provided the body is sufficiently nourished with the proper nutriments.

Also, what if you're exercising every day? Basically, you'd be like water logged all the time and therefore not losing (water) weight. Don't know... and what can we do about it? Just wait? Exercise less? Rest more? Does the soreness ever go away?

Questions, questions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Water retention/replenishment can come from: muscle repair, glycogen restorage in your cells in anticipation of exercising again, sodium/potassium imbalance (usually more sodium), replacing water from sweat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I am trying to pre-drink extra water to see if it’ll help, since I forecast it coming, lol.

And did it help? Or is it too soon tell?

Up half a pound over the day before and sore and achy all over. But I think my arthritis kicked in more than DOMS. Thanks, cold snap. 😬

My joints feel like they rusted overnight. 0neibhxx8lrb.jpeg

^^^^^me, at a 6am hot power class
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    2.5 pounds? I see swings like that all the time :D

When I started weightlifting again I gained SEVEN pounds.

For women with menstrual cycles - I used to gain @ 3 pounds premenstrually AND when I ovulated, but now that I am hopefully very close to menopause I have a huge swing when I ovulate (6-10 pounds) and nothing noticeable premenstrually.

Because of this, I weigh every day and compare myself to the same point in my cycle as last MONTH rather than last week.