could having a nutrientless diet cause leg hair to stop growing?

Options
this could be tmi but i’ve noticed that my leg hair and other areas doesn’t grow as fast as it used and i’m balding (but that could be caused by wearing ponytails alll the time idk) like my hairline is receeding and this hasn’t happened before and could this be result in from bad diet?

for the past 5 months i’ve resorted to eating how i used to before i lost weight and gained it back again which was only take out, chocolate and sweets and having only fizzy drinks (zero calories but still not great)

i’ve realised it’s taken a toll on my body when i was 16 up until 18 it was fine but now i’m 20 and i think it’s related to my bad diet so i’m now cooking my own foods and eating healthier just to have nutrients rather than the goal of weightloss rn so hopefully it fixes my issues but it’s just so bizarre idk and ok

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I just read an interesting article online recently about stress and hair loss. Apparently, since Covid the number of people with hair loss has been astonishingly high due to trauma and stress:

The Year America’s Hair Fell Out

The pandemic has been a near-perfect mass hair-loss event.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/11/pandemic-hair-loss-treatment-products/620696/
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don’t have issues with hair loss, so take this how you will, but I notice that my body hair grows more slowly in the winter. No idea why that is or if it’s typical, but it’s been true for awhile now. Not sure if it was true when I was younger. But the older I get, the more thankful I am for having to devote less time to hair removal for at least part of the year. I’m 41, for the record.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Did you ever get in touch with your doctor about your diabetes concerns?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10845986/i-think-i-have-diabetes-and-my-doctor-won-t-listen/p1

Ask them to check for nutritional deficiencies that would cause hair loss. For example, when my anemia is untreated I lose a lot of hair. I used to need to specifically ask that my iron be tested - they did not do this automatically. (Now that I am under the care of a hematologist I do get tested regularly.)

Also, many people who under-eat, and specifically under-eat protein, can have hair loss. Because of hair follicle life cycles, this starts several months after the undereating.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    My hair used to break and some ends, especially on the outer layer of hair, would only be appropriately half the length of the rest of my hair. My hairdresser suggested switching from those terry cloth wrapped kind of pony tail holders (covered rubber bands) to hair clamps. It solved my problem. I would guess that those covered rubber bands would also pull out some hair, too. Just a consideration…

Also, I also have wondered about your diabetes concern. Hope all is well with that.
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Did you ever get in touch with your doctor about your diabetes concerns?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10845986/i-think-i-have-diabetes-and-my-doctor-won-t-listen/p1

Ask them to check for nutritional deficiencies that would cause hair loss. For example, when my anemia is untreated I lose a lot of hair. I used to need to specifically ask that my iron be tested - they did not do this automatically. (Now that I am under the care of a hematologist I do get tested regularly.)

Also, many people who under-eat, and specifically under-eat protein, can have hair loss. Because of hair follicle life cycles, this starts several months after the undereating.

yeah i took a diabetes test and i scored a level 5.3 and my blood pressure was normal
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My hair used to break and some ends, especially on the outer layer of hair, would only be appropriately half the length of the rest of my hair. My hairdresser suggested switching from those terry cloth wrapped kind of pony tail holders (covered rubber bands) to hair clamps. It solved my problem. I would guess that those covered rubber bands would also pull out some hair, too. Just a consideration…

Also, I also have wondered about your diabetes concern. Hope all is well with that.

This made me laugh. The OP asked about leg hair. I don't know if it's long enough to put in rubber bands. :D
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

This made me laugh. The OP asked about leg hair. I don't know if it's long enough to put in rubber bands. :D

she does mention hair loss on her head, as well LOL

OP- I'd have a doctor do a full panel blood work up to test for nutrient deficiencies. If I look at my MFP reports, I come up woefully short in many, but my bloodwork shows I'm good across the board. Bloodwork doesn't lie. Nutrients that can result in hair loss will take months to result in that, so it won't be immediate in cause or effect, either way (on your head or legs, or anywhere else)

As you age (and as someone else pointed out, not saying you are old, you are just entering your ADULT years and leaving your adolescent/teen years) your body changes naturally, and everyone is different. I dont EVER have to shave above my knees on my legs. Even though I have super dark thick hair everywhere ELSE - above my knee - its super fine BLONDE and is BARELY there. go figure. Wasnt like that until I hit my 20s.

The hair on your head can be affected by many external forces, from the shampoo you use, to the type of hair ties you use, to your pillow case. Your hairdresser can be a good resource to help with that (I'd avoid google just because bad info can get mixed with good info easily)

And wait till you have kids (if you do)... thatll throw a whole new kink into the hormone and hair and body game LOL)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

she does mention hair loss on her head, as well LOL

OP- I'd have a doctor do a full panel blood work up to test for nutrient deficiencies. If I look at my MFP reports, I come up woefully short in many, but my bloodwork shows I'm good across the board. Bloodwork doesn't lie. Nutrients that can result in hair loss will take months to result in that, so it won't be immediate in cause or effect, either way (on your head or legs, or anywhere else)

As you age (and as someone else pointed out, not saying you are old, you are just entering your ADULT years and leaving your adolescent/teen years) your body changes naturally, and everyone is different. I dont EVER have to shave above my knees on my legs. Even though I have super dark thick hair everywhere ELSE - above my knee - its super fine BLONDE and is BARELY there. go figure. Wasnt like that until I hit my 20s.

The hair on your head can be affected by many external forces, from the shampoo you use, to the type of hair ties you use, to your pillow case. Your hairdresser can be a good resource to help with that (I'd avoid google just because bad info can get mixed with good info easily)

And wait till you have kids (if you do)... thatll throw a whole new kink into the hormone and hair and body game LOL)

You're right, of course, my apologies to @MaggieGirl135. I only thought of the title and it cracked me up. The OP does say she wears a ponytail and is balding.

I love to wear a ponytail too and always use elastics. I only have problems if I put them in too tight. I can tell if I'm doing something wrong if the elastic has hair in it. Remember OP, there are seasons of the year when you lose more hair. For me, it's in the Fall.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Genetic hair loss at age 20 would be rare, e.g. as caused by high testosterone. From info here, diet could be the culprit: I'd suggest logging food with display of Macros in MFP for a few weeks, and seriously eat to meet the protein target. Assuming protein has been poor, should target it to about 1 gram per pound of target bodyweight every day: meat, fish, dairy and get a jar of whey protein for shakes if ordinary meals don't do it. Look at your fingernails - if they're soft it could be protein and possibly eating gelatin (Jello or similar, best to eat the diet version if getting fat) can help nails, hair or both - people respond differently to gelatin or collagen supplementation.

I wore a ponytail from end of the 1960s to around 1980 and it didn't bother my hair - my short-haired brother got pattern balding but I didn't - now I have a full head of white hair with a pandemic ponytail again, and I was fifty when you were born. Take care of your diet, get some exercise: genetics made the bus but you have the driver's seat and the fuel supply.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    @snowflake954 no apologies needed—at all!!

As soon as I posted my response, I saw the title mentioning leg hair and had a moment of panic, lol! After a moment of thinking I was on drugs, I did re-read her comments and saw that she referred to head here as well.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I'm a guy, and I am 47, and have a receding hairline.. BUT, what might apply to your situation is the comment about your diabetes concerns.

I have had diabetes for 20 years, and back in 2002, I noticed something weird.. I'm a guy, with no leg hair, below the knee. When I asked my doctor, he said it was due to diabetes.. a reduction in blood flow, also results in loss of hair. This is only below my knee, but it could go above the knee, and even affect my arms, if I have poor circulation there, but I am losing weight, have my BG under control, and it hasn't gotten any worse. Other than my head, the rest of me is a bit hairy.. chest for example.. and I had hair on my shins before I was 30.. all gone now.

If it is an issue for you, talk to your doctor, and get some tests done. Ask for an A1C test to see if you are diabetic or not.. if you are overweight, your insurance will usually allow that... plus any other tests to check theories your doctor may have. You want to rule out anything dangerous.. nutrition could explain hair loss, so maybe get all your vitamins & minerals checked to see if you are in range.

Better safe than sorry.. that way you know if these are problems or not.. they can be corrected, or treated.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    OP mentioned upthread that she has already had a diabetes check, which was normal
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    Or it could just be knee socks or leggings. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, and I am 47, and have a receding hairline.. BUT, what might apply to your situation is the comment about your diabetes concerns.

I have had diabetes for 20 years, and back in 2002, I noticed something weird.. I'm a guy, with no leg hair, below the knee. When I asked my doctor, he said it was due to diabetes.. a reduction in blood flow, also results in loss of hair. This is only below my knee, but it could go above the knee, and even affect my arms, if I have poor circulation there, but I am losing weight, have my BG under control, and it hasn't gotten any worse. Other than my head, the rest of me is a bit hairy.. chest for example.. and I had hair on my shins before I was 30.. all gone now.

If it is an issue for you, talk to your doctor, and get some tests done. Ask for an A1C test to see if you are diabetic or not.. if you are overweight, your insurance will usually allow that... plus any other tests to check theories your doctor may have. You want to rule out anything dangerous.. nutrition could explain hair loss, so maybe get all your vitamins & minerals checked to see if you are in range.

Better safe than sorry.. that way you know if these are problems or not.. they can be corrected, or treated.

Apologies for going off topic, here.... just another data point: my dad never had hair on his legs from crew sock height down. Always figured it was the socks. He had no diabetes, wasn't overweight. Hairy otherwise.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Sorry not to be mean to the OP. You may have medical needs, but you need to do this through DR's.
    Coming here and getting anecdotal info. will not help you if you are truly in need of medical attention on this or your previous thread regarding diabetes concerns. I have first hand experience with family and hypochondriac I see a pattern in your posts, but again to call myself out I am not medically trained so please seek to get yourself checked by professionals for all your health concerns. Good thoughts to you and your piece of mind... Excuse to all for any offense on their responses...
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,560 Member
    Options
    Hey OP... to answer your question about whether nutrient-less diets can cause hair loss... yes, they can. If I recall correctly, in other posts you had talked about having followed very low calorie diets (even to the point of trying to achieve net zero calorie intake at one point). Those kinds of diets can cause all SORTS of longer term issues. (here's a link to some examples: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/weight-loss-and-hair-loss#:~:text=Deficiencies in iron, zinc, protein,to hair loss ( 15 ).)

I am really happy to read that you are changing your eating habits, cooking food, focusing on eating better. Sadly, depending on how long you deprived your body, it may take a while for it to rebound.

As others have mentioned, it would probably be beneficial for you to work with a physician, nutritionist, and mental health professional to ensure you are managing your weight and diet in a way that is beneficial for you both from a physical and mental standpoint.

(For what it's worth... I would be lost without my mental health professional. They're sadly undervalued!)

Wishing you all the best!