How do you feel about the "Complete This Entry" feed message?

Options
Lorelei19
Lorelei19 Posts: 107 Member
At the end of the day, when you're done with your journal, you get to click the "Complete This Entry" button. This posts a lovely message of "Lorelei19's food and exercise diary was completed for...." in your feed.

I work night-shift and I find that if I don't get the opportunity to enter all my food before midnight, I don't get that message in my feed. It makes me feel slightly disappointed.

How do you feel about the "Complete This Entry" feed message? 8 votes

I like the message.
50%
Lorelei19jamlocheJenKindoangelatdavidson2002 4 votes
I'm not a fan.
50%
exermommookybargirlmjglantzgoal06082021 4 votes

Replies

• Lorelei19
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I like the message.
    And apparently hitting enter makes you post the question before you've entered all your options. I was gonna add a third "I really don't care" option, but I guess MFP feels you have to feel one way or the other. lol
  • boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You can always go back to the previous day to complete the entry
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan.
    To me, that message is meaningless. Everyone is different. If I ever weighed what it said I would, I'd look and feel like c***. I'm happy with my body the way it is. And shouldn't that be one of the goals?
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can turn the message off in your settings
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan.
    exermom wrote: »
    To me, that message is meaningless. Everyone is different. If I ever weighed what it said I would, I'd look and feel like c***. I'm happy with my body the way it is. And shouldn't that be one of the goals?

If you aren't trying to lose, you should have your goal set through the guided setup to "maintain my current weight." That message is extrapolating as follows:

1. You selected a rate of loss in the guided setup (say 1lb per week).
    2. MFP gave you a calorie budget to lose 1lb per week, which is 500 calories below your maintenance level, whatever that is for you (say 2000 calories per day, so your budget is 1500 before exercise).
    3. You reported that you ate and burned a certain number of calories today (let's say you got it bang-on perfect, netting 1500 for the day).
    4. Your deficit today was 500 calories, times 35 days (5 weeks x 7 days per week = 35 days) is a deficit of 17,500 calories in 5 weeks' time, if you continue to hit your goal perfectly every single day between then and now.
    5. One pound of fat contains about 3500 calories, so if you take in 17,500 fewer calories than your body needs over a five-week period, your body should make up the difference by burning your stored fat, resulting in a loss of about 5 lbs during that time.

The problem is that there were more factors that "made today like today" than just what you ate and how much you moved, and not all of them are within your control.

Ultimately though, you don't actually have to close your diary - literally all that does is display that stupid little message and post a thing to your timeline if you have that enabled. Your login streak is not affected (all you have to do for that is just access the website/app, you don't even have to open the diary), and your body counts every calorie whether you do or not. So if the message bothers you or you find it unhelpful, just...don't close your diary.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    I would've voted "I don't really care".

Lately, I haven't been clicking the button at all. When I did/do click it, it's often after midnight, so no message posts. I don't care about that, either.

When I do click it, the "In 5 weeks" message is inaccurate, and I generally know why. It's inaccurate in one sense for everyone (because every day isn't going to be just like today), but it's also inaccurate for me because MFP's estimate of my calorie needs is more inaccurate than that estimate is for most people. Since I know how much to eat, and my weight is quite predictable from what I actually do eat, I still don't care.

I've been logging here most days) for well over 6 years, through loss from obese to healthy weight (just under a year), and to maintain a healthy weight since (the rest of that time). Logging and tracking has huge benefits for me, but I don't really care about the message to my friends, or the prediction.

If you really want your friends to see the message, you could post it yourself. If you don't want your friends to see the message, you can turn it off in your settings, as someone pointed out. If you want to know what you'll weigh in 5 weeks, tracking your calories, adjusting your intake based on results . . . that will put you in a place to estimate your own trends quite accurately, in all likelihood.

Please don't feel disappointed about the message: Achieving your weight management goals is the objective, yes? If/when that happens - and it will, if you stick with the process - that should be the exact opposite of disappointing. Don't let a dumb automated message (or its lack) discourage you from getting there!
  • Lorelei19
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I like the message.
    Oh no! I explained it incorrectly. I actually enjoy that message. It's like MFP saying "Hey, good job on logging for the day". It gives me the warm fuzzy. I get disappointed when I forget to click it and I miss out on it. lol

I could care less about the "If every day were like today..." message, though. I'll never have another day like today. Life would be boring if I did.

I guess it's the sub-conscious need to be acknowledged for doing good, and MFP does that for me with that silly little message. lol

I was just curious to see how others feel about it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,175 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I used to close my diary systematically when I started my weight loss. Not so much for the message itself, but the fact that friends could like the message and comment, as encouragement. I also stuck to my calorie goal religiously.
    With time (settled into a groove and not as much weight to lose) I no longer stuck to my goal as religiously (weekly average) and I also didn't close my diary as much.
    Currently I'm losing the last few lbs and I no longer feel the need to close my diary at all. It's been 2 years and 3 months since starting my weight loss, and I guess I no longer need the kudos from those messages. I guess my weight loss in itself is validation enough now :smile:
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    For me, when I can/do close it, it seems to signal 'done eating for the day' and that can be handy, but mostly I don't really care either way. At this point I only track protein sources and 'treat' type foods anyway, so there are days where those things are lower calorie than others that I *can't* close it and that's fine too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I vote "C"...really don't care. I never paid attention to it when I logged and rarely even clicked on that button. Doesn't do anything for me either way.