Newbie to MLF - thoughts welcome

Options
Hey people,

Just joined a couple of days ago. I've been browsing the forums and reading up on a lot of info, especially around settings re: calorie intake, BMR, etc.

I have a couple of questions so please bear with the long intro.

Here are my stats: Male, 5'11, 235lbs February 2012, down to 213.2 as of this Sunday.

Here's my story so far:

February 2012, I weighed my highest, at 235 pounds. I started weight watchers with my gf who has lost good chunk of weight (20 pounds or so). On weight watchers I've lost around 22 pounds in around 3 months and yesterday I was at 213..2 pounds.

Beginning July, I"ve been walking 10k at a brisk pace every day with my GF. Weekly we do around 85 k a week, and we set goals for speed, new areas and pace. We push ourselves and I think we've lost weight and toned muscle due to the constant walking. Myself I can see my legs are definitely toning up.

We are fiends in the kitchen - we weigh everything, and drink plenty of water on a daily basis. If we are a bit unsure, we always err on the side of being conservative.

Two days ago I joined MFP and put 'light activity" as a setting, along with my stats, for 2 lb weight loss. According to MFP I burn around 600 - 1000 calories a day. I don't eat my spent calories and try to pace my meals 3-4 times throughout the day with even caloric distribution. I will have a small snack of almonds or protein ( shake, etc) after my walks because I am hungry around 40 minutes afterwards. My caloric profile gives me 1610 calories day which I've been honouring.

I weighed myself 10 minutes ago today and I am at 211.4. My last meal was around 1 hr ago with plenty of fluids, so I'm not on an empty stomach. I've never dropped weight this fast. When I've pushed myself hard before with exercise, my weight change would always register on the very first day of the week I'd weigh myself - never before.

My question: Am I burning up muscle (I have a bit under the fatty costume) by having my calories intake limited to 1610 daily calories, with 90 kilometres of weekly walking? Should I rejig the settings as others have mentioned (TDEE - 20%) and then not eat my exercise calories? I"m ok with losing a bit of muscle along with fat because I intend to start strength training later on. Any other ideas?

Thanks again for your thoughts and time.

Eric

Replies

• Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I thought you said Newbie to MILF lol :P

Sorry, I wish I could help you. I don't know the answer...I want to say water . I mean, if I read right, you went from 213 to 211...which was only a couple of pounds...and the body can fluctuate quite a bit. I've lost 5 lbs in one day from water weight and bowel movements....

I would set your activity to sedentary then eat your exercise calories back (at least most of them). I dont think you've lost muscle with a 2lb weight loss. You can stick with the TDEE -20% (that works too) however you are going to need to eat enough calories to fuel your workouts regardless of which method you use.
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    LOL thanks for the heads up. I'll edit that if I can...