Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.
Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Feature Parity: Search for food by UPC on Website/App Without scanning barcode

On many occasion, I've found myself at work or home, using the website to log my food. Nine times out of ten, it's easy, straightforward, but sometimes, especially with community-powered databases, I might find a bunch of variations on a specific food.

On the app, I know I can scan a barcode without any issue whatsoever. Tap on the barcode icon, point, scan, done. And I almost never have to tweak anything or look for a better match.

However, there are some times I don't have the luxury of scanning a product, but I would rather search by UPC. Any time I've searched by entering the UPC manually, I get no results.

Since the feature is implemented in at least part of the platform, I would love to see the ability to search by manually entering a UPC into the search bar. It would be a step towards feature parity (on an already-shared function).

As a bonus idea, perhaps for anyone with a webcam/built in camera, allow users to scan the barcode that way, since it's effectively the same as scanning the UPC with the cell phone camera.
4 votes

Active · Last Updated