What and how much strength training as obese woman to compliment my exercise routine?

Options
Hey y'all,

so, I know strength training is important. Muscles burn calories, they protect bones and joints, etc. I just don't know what exercise would be good for me (e. g. after squating my knee hurts, so I feel I am still too overweight for that (went down from 165kg to around 130kg within the last year).

Also I'm already having exercise as part of my routine, mostly not for burning calories but for feeling good.

2 days a week I have martial arts classes for 2.5h which are kind of a mix between cardio and strength, depending on what drills we do and I do LOVE every minute of it.

Also most days I try to start my morning with some 20min yoga (lighter or more vigorous depending on if the evening is martial arts class or not) or a 20min walk (on the treadmill during fall/winter). I know strength training should be prioritized over cardio for optimized results, but for me the morning yoga or morning walk is not "calorie burning exercise". For me it has more to do with mental health and the mindset I start my day with. I do these things because I enjoy how I feel during and after, so I'd be sad to let them go.

With that in mind (2x martial arts a week, 5 - 7 days of light yoga or walking) - how much strength training should I do? Also what are obese-friendly (light on the joints, not too huge range of motion) exercises to get me started?

I'd be super grateful for any and all advise!

Best
-weltengaengerin

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi there! I'm a formerly obese woman. I don't do huge amounts of strength training these days (it's seasonal) but I've strength trained regularly in the past.

It sounds like you have a nicely-rounded fitness routine already, to which formal strength training will be a great addition.

Being obese is not particularly a limitation on lifting. Being relatively less fit or strong (if a person is) is relevant, as are any pre-existing musculoskeletal injuries or limitations. For totally personalized advice, a well-qualified personal trainer or physical therapist would be ideal. However, unless you have some major, unusual limitation, you can probably start on your own with books, videos, classes, or websites.

The key thing, IMO, is to start where you are, and progress gradually, paying attention to how you feel. General sore muscles would be a normal result. Sharp or persistent pain someplace would not be a normal result.

There is a good thread here with strength programs, including some recommended for beginners:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

The programs will suggest a frequency, among other things. Three days a week, full body, can be one reasonable mode, particularly for beginners, and it's fine to work up to that frequency if needed.

Also, if the program you select seems too aggressive (too heavy, for example) to start, it's fine to work your way in gradually with lighter weight, or preparatory exercises. The Bodybuilding part of the MFP Community is a reasonable place to ask about preparatory exercises for some specific exercise that seems too extreme to start, if it isn't a simple matter of using less weight on the bar.

For some of us, without a strong exercise background, even a standard barbell bar can be too much weight for some exercises at the start. There are lighter options, or it can be fine to start with a staff/broomstick just to get the form in a good place, and work up via lighter bars, the standard bar without plates, or whatever works and is a manageable strength challenge.

That link above also includes some bodyweight programs that require minimal/no equipment, and that can be a good start for some people. That might be particularly true for you, with your martial arts and yoga background - a relatively more familiar modality to start, essentially. Your call, though.

Since you mention that your martial arts practice includes some strength-y components (I don't know exactly what), a consideration for you will be scheduling your strength exercise in context of your MA practice, so relevant muscle groups get adequate recovery time. I did a different MA for a few years, know that some MAs include things like push-ups or other bodyweight exercises, but others don't.

As a person with bad knees, I can relate to difficulties with squats. Be aware that there are many types of squats (different widths, foot positions, more), and some may be more workable for a given person than others. There are also alternate exercises that work similar muscle groups. If you select a program, and one of the exercises feels too stressful, ask in the Bodybuilding part of the MFP Community about alternatives for working those muscles, that might be less stressful in whatever way is troubling you.

Keep in mind that as you lose weight, that gives you less load in certain exercises (like squats - since you're carrying your upper body weight plus any added weight you may use). You might want to adjust added weight accordingly, in order to maintain/gain strength. Most of us, when obese, have quite strong legs, stronger than lightweight people with similar exercise background, just from making our way through life with our bodyweight. It's good to keep some of that muscle!

Personally, I don't really agree that "strength training should be prioritized over cardio for optimized results". Both are important for optimized results. I'd note that when national health authorities (HHS in the US, WHO, NHS, that sort of thing) recommend basic exercise routines for general health and fitness, they typically mention cardiovascular exercise first, then strength exercise.

On MFP, strength exercise is especially stressed, as a way to minimize muscle loss during weight loss. (It's also emphasized as a huge calorie burner because muscle burns more calories than fat, and because of claims it has lots of EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, a.k.a. afterburn), both of which are sort of oversold IMO.) So, yeah, I agree that strength exercise is particularly important alongside weight loss. I still wouldn't say it's more important than cardio. Both good, both useful.

Many people here say you should always do strength before cardio, if on the same day. If someone's priority is strength, that's good advice. Personally, I think the best advice is to do first whichever is the personal priority, to be freshest and strongest for the priority activity. I'm a rower. If I do strength training, especially during my on-water season, and row on the same day, I'd prefer to row first, because rowing is my clear performance priority. For someone who considers them equal, yeah, I'd suggest strength first.

Let me be clear, all of the above is just my opinion, based on my education and experience. Others will have different opinions, based on theirs. (I'd beware of anyone who says other people have opinions, but *they* have the universal gospel truth. 😉)

I hope that helps, giving you some things to look at, think about.

Wishing you great progress, much success!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what "benefits" you're looking for. My wife is a runner (though now retired from marathons and half marathons) and her focus is on running. She strength trains with a personal trainer once per week with very good results both aesthetically and performance wise. Her lifting workout is geared towards functional full body strength training. I've attended sessions with her in the past and since it's once per week, it's pretty much an all out session and pretty rigorous. It is not uncommon for endurance athletes to only train once per week in the weight room, and they're lifting differently than a bodybuilder or strength athlete.

Most health bodies recommend 2x per week of resistance training and for your average person not looking to body build or compete in strength competitions (or just aren't gym rats), it's more than enough to reap the health and fitness benefits and gives ample time for recovery and engagement in other physical activities. I'm an endurance cyclists and weekend warrior mountain biker, and those activities are my priority...so I just do a 2x per week full body program. My gym is around the corner from my office, so I just go during my lunch hour.