how to keep carbs low and protein high

Options
I read how people are keeping their carbs under 100 and their protein over 100 g. but I don't see how people can do that. even though I don't eat a ton of starchy foods (like rice, pasta and breads)that you think has lots of carbs in them I still seem to eat a lot it.

what foods do you eat that have low carbs but are still healthy for you and foods that are high in protein? take a look at my food diary to see where I'm coming from.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just a glance at your diary, you eat -
    Oatmeal, granola bars, bananas, sugar and substitute coffee creamer, bread, potatoes, rice. Your lean cuisine had 46 grams of carbs. That's almost half if you are aiming for under 100.

*none of these are bad, but all in one day will lead to a higher carb intake. Start substituting some of them.
    Chicken and lots of veggies instead of chicken and rice/potatoes. Or do eggs for breakfast instead of oatmeal. Drop the granola bar.

ETA - your morning coffee has 14 grams of carbs alone.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    The other part of your question - protein. I make it my first priority in every meal to get enough protein. That comes before anything else. I look for snack with protein, like Greek yogurt, tuna, even cold chicken cut up.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with getting enough protein. You have to change the way you build your meals. After you get your calorie counting and exercise in order, the next step is your macros. Must people will find that they need to increase protein and reduce carbs. Once you know how many calories to consume, now it's how you fill those calories.

Try this:

Meal 1:
    2 whole eggs
    126g egg whites
    2 slices of Dempsters Flax Bread
    2 slices of back bacon

575 calories. 49g of protein. 43g of carbs. 21g of fat.

You can even cut out the bread there and replace it with raw spinach.

Another meal that I've done that's given me good ratios of calories, proteins and carbs is:

<100g white rice
    6 oz chicken breast
    130g of cambell's steak chilli.

You can even cut out the white rice there. Most of my meals now contain only around 5-10g more carbs than protein, then I supplement the end of the day with 2 scoops of protein powder. That's how I get by while still enjoying white rice, breads, etc.

I drink my coffee black though. I suggest you get into the habit. It cuts out a lot of extra calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i have my carbs set at 25% of my macros ....

why do you want to eat so low carb?

As for getting more protein - eat eggs, steak, chicken, pork, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc...i have no problem hitting 200 grams of protein a day ...
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Do you know what long term high "protein" will do to your lymphatic system, liver and kidneys...Research! Also, you should distinguish between Carbs, Simple and Complex. Starches are COMPLEX Carbs that are usually harmful vs. Simple Carbs that occur in Natural Plants. So all Carbs are NOT equal. I might also add that your BEST source of Amino Acids (protein) are Plant Based, and I DO NOT mean Legumes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's hard to do with pre-packaged foods, that's for sure. If it's a real goal, you're going to have to change how you think about food, or supplement a lot.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Do you know what long term high "protein" will do to your lymphatic system, liver and kidneys...Research! Also, you should distinguish between Carbs, Simple and Complex. Starches are COMPLEX Carbs that are usually harmful vs. Simple Carbs that occur in Natural Plants. So all Carbs are NOT equal. I might also add that your BEST source of Amino Acids (protein) are Plant Based, and I DO NOT mean Legumes.

lolwut?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

lolwut?

In for more youtube videos and websites with agendas as proof
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • ndj1979
    Options

ummm what the heck are you talking about? Protein damages the lymphatic system...bahahahahahahaha...eagerly awaits study..
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Do you know what long term high "protein" will do to your lymphatic system, liver and kidneys...Research!

Absolutely nothing unless you already have a problem with your lymphatic system, liver and kidneys...
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

Wut?

Potatoes are not plants? Flour is the ground up seed of a what now?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I might also add that your BEST source of Amino Acids (protein) are Plant Based, and I DO NOT mean Legumes.

Yea. You are right. All the essential amino acids are high in in the plant based protein that your body cannot synthesize....

OH WAIT THATS ANIMAL PROTEN!
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options

-Rabbit starvation occurs when you're eating like 300g of protein a day and nothing else. 100g of protein+high carbs that the OP eats isn't anywhere approaching this kind of diet or even remotely harmful or abnormal.

-Starches occur in "Natural Plants". Commonly.

-I like my amino acids to come from a tub shipped to my doorstep.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    So all Carbs are NOT equal.

I thought the declaration of independence said that all carbs are created equal...?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Why?
    this.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    i have my carbs set at 25% of my macros ....

why do you want to eat so low carb?

As for getting more protein - eat eggs, steak, chicken, pork, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc...i have no problem hitting 200 grams of protein a day ...

If I am not mistaken, based off of today, 100 grams of carbs would be 25% of her calories.

Then again I may have totally effed up the math.

ETA - I also didn't exactly think she was looking to lower it, just wondering how people go that low.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why?
    this.
    Out of curiosity, why do you want your protein as high as it is?
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Protein helps preserve muscle mass while cutting (not as much as lifting though), increases satiety and tastes better than carbs. Why WOULDN'T you want to increase your protein? :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Protein helps preserve muscle mass while cutting (not as much as lifting though), increases satiety and tastes better than carbs. Why WOULDN'T you want to increase your protein? :)
    protein also loses 25% of its calories to be metabolized by the body. so its 3cals. it also takes 33% of those 3 cals to be converted to glucose. so it becomes 2 cals