How to kill "being hungry feeling"?

I am always hungry even if I eat a lot of vegetables during the day but I still feel hungry..
What should I do to be able to eat a big quantity of food..

Nowadays, I only have 2 big meals .. breakfast and lunch..

I go to sleep feeling hungry and wake up with the same feeling.. I don't know what should I do??

Replies

• 10804dancer
    10804dancer Posts: 2 Member
    What else are u eating during the day? My experience is that u probably need more protein and GOOD fats to keep u satisfied during the day plus the body needs adequate amounts of both of these to perform its cellular functions. At night, u cud have a small amount of protein (1oz-like a rolled slice of turkey) to make sure ur blood sugar doesn’t drop while sleeping. Don’t forget that being hungry may cause metabolism to go into starvation mode and hold onto weight instead of losing, that’s the exact opposite of what we want!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    You may be eating too little in general...what are your goals ("Lose 2 pounds per week"?) and how much weight are you trying to lose? The less you have to lose, the more you really need to be eating. Cutting too much leads to problems, as you may have found out here...

When I was in weight loss mode I had to continue to INCREASE my calorie goal to nearly my maintenance calories as I got closer to my goal weight.

If you're hungry all the time maybe try having one or two days per week where you eat at Maintenance calories.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Eat later in the day? Play with your macros? Carbs may not satisfy you or keep you full, for me protein keeps me full and satisfied.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I am always hungry even if I eat a lot of vegetables during the day but I still feel hungry..
    What should I do to be able to eat a big quantity of food..

Nowadays, I only have 2 big meals .. breakfast and lunch..

I go to sleep feeling hungry and wake up with the same feeling.. I don't know what should I do??

What are your protein and fat goals and are you hitting them?

Are you eating enough/did you choose too aggressive a deficit?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Eat later in the day? Play with your macros? Carbs may not satisfy you or keep you full, for me protein keeps me full and satisfied.

Yes this for me too - if I eat too many carbs I'm usually hungry pretty soon after even if its a big portion.
    I agree that playing around with your macros and meal times might help you understand what keeps you satiated.
    The only way I stick to reduced calories is if I eat good fats and protein with every meal.
    Also Intermittent fasting has helped with keeping my calories down and cravings.
  • SwimBikeRun_Mom
    SwimBikeRun_Mom Posts: 46 Member
    Sounds like you might want to look at eating more, smaller meals. Maybe 3 meals instead of 2 - that would give you some fuel in the evening. Personally, I like to wake up a little bit hungry - but I do not like to go to bed hungry! Agree with others as well, look at your macros and see if you're getting enough healthy fat and protein to keep you feeling sated longer. Also, look at water - are you getting enough?
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    You may have to expand your definition of healthy eating and/or keep an eye on your macros to see what makes you feel your best. If you're eating tons of veggies but still feel hungry, that may be a sign you need to change around your meals to be more satiating.

I know that, for me personally, I'm starving within the hour if I don't eat 20-30 grams of protein per meal. I also feel hungry if I eat below 35 grams of fat for the day. I still eat pretty big meals with tons of fruits and veggies, but experimenting with my macros, adjusting my calorie intake, and tracking my data has been invaluable for keeping me happy and full while losing weight.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    I have no idea what you are eating during the day but if you are hungry --- eat more.

Like... there are some reasons you may 'feel' hungry that aren't true hunger (like boredom, stress, anxiety, depression, cravings...etc.) -- but figuring out what hungry feels like to your body is important so that when you are hungry you know you need to eat more.

You should not be going to bed hungry. I'm sure if you sat down and looked at what you're eating through the day vs. what your body's caloric needs are --- you have too large of a deficit.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I've learned I have to spread out my calories until later in the day--even if that means a smaller meal at lunch. Once I'm at or near my calorie goal, if I'm still hungry in the evening, I'll drink water or a warm beverage like decaf tea, low cal boullion, or sugar free hot cider
  • Hunger should take several days for you to notice. We weren't hungry back when we could only get food every 1-2 days.. most of our existence.. but what we call hunger today, happens when our blood sugars get low.

When we eat carbs, even vegetables, it turns into glucose, spikes our blood sugar, and we feel full, when it drops down near 70 mg/dL, we feel hungry, and want to eat. As a lid, we forgot lunch, until our Mom made us eat, because our bodies weren't messed up from eating excess carbs for decades. We didn't feel hunger at noon, even though we were running and burning calories all day long.

Most adults have a imbalance, and they eat way too many carbs, and by now, their body has learned to spike it.. often above healthy levels ( over 125 mg/dL ), and then it drops rapidly.. so when we eat cereal, with sugary milk, and a bagel, we feel hungry in 3 hours.. so we eat more, despite plenty of calories eaten. Which is why we overeat. What we do is eat more carbs, and repeat this cycle, and we tell ourselves that 3 meals isn't enough.. we need 2 snacks as well, and then we might even have a late night snack or meal, if we are still hungry. You SHOULD be OK with 2-3 meals, if you eat foods which don't spike your blood sugar, and then bottom out if you don't eat every few hours.

Fat almost has no effect on blood sugars. Protein has a minor effect, and carbs all turn into glucose, so these spike your blood sugar, how much depends on how many carbs the food has.. obviously a doughnut, is worse than green beans. You can eat too many green beans though. It's a lot, but we don't need ANY carbs. There is NO essential carb amount.. you could eat zero carbs, and be fine, as long as you got your nutrients from other sources.. carbs taste good though, and we can eat some carbs, and be fine, plus it's easier to get all your nutrients.. so I expect you will eat some.. BUT.

If you are hungry, and having cravings.. fat & protein are not the problem.. carbs ARE.. and to deal with cravings/hunger, you need to figure out your carbs.

How much you can handle varies, and it's quite simple.. just cut carbs 50% to start.. and see if the cravings/hunger stop, and if not, just keep cutting. At some point, if you are eating enough calories, your cravings/hunger should disappear. For me, it is 30 grams a day. I do best under 20 g. I am diabetic though. If you catch this earlier, you don't need to cut as much, to correct this problem, and it IS a problem.. craving/hunger after a few hours, should not happen.. EVER. It isn't normal, and while you hear about this lack of cravings/hunger usually from very low carb people like me.. it doesn't have to be that way.. you don't have to wait until you are diabetic.. you could eat cleaner carbs, at maybe 100g a day, and not feel any cravings/hunger, because you won't overtax your body with glucose, and Insulin, and mess up how the body works.

If we did this, instead of eating 50% or more from carbs, cravings/hunger between meals would be rare, instead of commonplace. We need to avoid this condition, not learn how to overcome feeling hungry, which we almost always fail at, and should never experience hopefully.

On high fat, moderate protein, and very low carb, I was looking for weight loss, and of course control of my diabetes, without more meds.. and I got that. Losing all the cravings/hunger, was a benefit that just happened along the way, allowing me to eat exactly what I want, when I want. Which helps of course.. calories still matter, but more important than calories, is carbs.. not because they are more caloric, but because eating carbs, causes us to eat MORE, and those EXCESS calories are the problem, are they not?

I think all of us know how to make a 1500-2000 calorie menu, that would make our doctors, and dietitians cry out of happiness.. IF we could only actually eat what we plan.

Once we admit that the type of food.. how we get our calories, matters, and is WHY we overeat, or do NOT.. we can choose foods which do not cause us to overeat. Healthy people can still eat quite a few carbs, just nowhere near what the govt. recommends, and from a much smaller selection of carby foods.. more non-starchy veggies, less fruit, dairy, legumes, and very few grains if any.

You would be amazed at how many CUPS of non-starchy veggies you can eat, and not hit 40 g of carbohydrates. These foods don't cause cravings, but ALSO.. if you eat 5 cups of green beans.. you will likely be full.. especially if you add 2 Tbsp. of butter. Half the carbs are fiber. High fat, enough protein, and a good volume of non-starchy vegetables, and you should easily be full for a good 8-12 hours, if you only want to eat twice a day.
  • This is a common experience from anyone who actually does cut carbs.. not just my personal experience.. it is something millions have said occurs, and your insinuation that it doesn't work for many, is simply your opinion. If you ever cut carbs LOW enough to be in position to even speak on it, and failed, then THAT is also anecdotal.. just how you failed to see the benefit.

Of the 2 of you who criticized what actuall works.. one of you just decided, if I get hungry I will just eat.. I don't think that is what the OP wants to do.. they want the hunger/cravings to disappear.. the other has no plan, just thinks not everyone can cut carbs enough to get rid of them.

I agree that not everyone will be able to do low carb, expecially low enough to get rid of hunger/cravings.. but it is an option, just like all the others, which WON'T be able to be stuck to by most people either.. based on the results of those who listen to the advice.

Not ONE thing here is something everyone can easily DO, and like enough to stick to, and the majority fail, which is why they have cravings/hunger.. but for some reason, you have to attack one that actually works for quite a few people, if they can cut carbs low enough. Nothing is universal, but for those who DO cut carbs low enough, it works for the majority. This is considered normal of people who drop carbs low enough. It is LOOKED for and EXPECTED, and the #1 variable which causes you NOT to experience a lack of hunger/cravings, is not doing it correctly.. which is true of any way of eating.. but any diet with lost of carbs, still ends up with people having cravings, and feeling hungry, so isn't a solution for the OP.

The sad thing is, despite having NO way to help the OP eliminate cravings/hunger, and eat the proper amount with ease, you act like you are an expert, and criticize those who have replicable results.

The OP is only asking for recommendations.. ways to get rid of cravings/hunger.. and it appears that you have NO way to do that for them, and are deathly afraid that some other option might actually work, and are working to make sure no one actually tries to eat in a way which might lead to success.

If 10%, actually were willing to choose it as an option, AND stick to it, cutting carbs, until the cravings disappeared, and they didn't feel hunger, ate the proper number of calories, and got to a healthy weight.. it is worth suggesting as something they should try.

You have no idea how many people do low carb properly, and what the success rate is among those people in eliminating hunger/cravings, any more than I can say that people on the SAD who actually stick to it, succeed ata set rate.. we simply don't KNOW.

What I do know is that almost everyone who actually does low carb in a way which cuts carbs low enough, will get to a point where they lose their cravings/hunger. Yes, most do NOT choose to drop that low, which is why I did not say LOW carb does this.. I suggested cutting carbs, UNTIL their cravings disappeared.. for some that is 50 ga day, others may need to cut to 10 grams a day, or less.

So your experiences, or discussions with other low carb dieters doesn't have anything to do with my suggestion, unless they are at ZERO grams of carbs a day, and still experiencing cravings/hunger. Only THEN did it fail to work.. most people in my experience get rid of them, and can still have a decent amount of carbs which do not spike your BG much.

I want to clarify that. I am not saying do low carb as a general idea.. I think most people STILL eat far too many carbs.. I am saying cut carbs until the cravings/carbs go away.. after that happens, it's up to the person to stay at that level, or quit, and have them again.

I have stated my plan, which MANY people use to get rid of cravings/hunger completely.. so unless you have ANY plan to do so, and actually help the OP, have a nice day.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    ' can work' and being an option that people will want to follow is 2 different things.

Abstinence can work for contraception - but not an option most people want to follow.

If there is a thread about low carb eating, sure, relevant to recomend that - but in a general thread where OP has said nothing that leads one to think that is an option she wants to follow - bit meaningless and hijacking of the topic.

"The OP is only asking for recommendations.. ways to get rid of cravings/hunger.. and it appears that you have NO way to do that for them, and are deathly afraid that some other option might actually work, and are working to make sure no one actually tries to eat in a way which might lead to success."

ad honinem attacks don't help support your argument, you know.