Any teachers out there? Anybody work in a school?

Options
Looking for some healthy lunch ideas/snack ideas for a school setting? I work in an elementary school and looking for some new ideas to help spark the school year up by being healthy! Also, anybody on here have a workout schedule that works with their work schedule (similar to an 815-330) time frame? Any teachers out there?

Looking to get new lunch ideas

Looking to get a solid workout routine that fits with my work schedule

also I am full time college student so I have evening homework/classes online.

Replies

• ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Oh lord, let me know when you get that solid workout routine in place :laugh: Hi! I'm Ellie. I teach little people (first grade). We just started back a few weeks ago And really struggling. Any particular eating lifestyle you prefer? What type of exercise are you looking for?
  • shelbz09
    shelbz09 Posts: 115
    Options
    Well right now I eat pretty terrible, just whatever its around and convient, I try to make healthier choices too. but I wouldn't say im the healthiest. Working on giving up soda and fast food, This is week 1 of no fast food. Next week is the soda issue, but so far this week ive been good !

So my schedule is going to be work from 8:15/830 as I am just an aid in the classroom. So I home normal days around 330. I am thinking maybe evening workouts, or maybe workouts right after work... if I do evening homework, ill do after work school work and homework, or vise versa... Just looking for any ideas, support, encouragement! lunch ideas :)
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hey , I work in a school, 1-1 with special needs. On the go massively. When I go back after break next week it will be my first week of my "new life style". My plan is to have protein shake for breakfast. Then low fat cheese triangle, crackers, banana or soups or oatcakes with salad for lunch, most probably with a snack somewhere in the day- rice cracker/nuts/ yoghurt, then just a normal balanced meal for lunch. My plan is to go swimming STRAIGHT after work so i'm already out the house. I've joined a local running scheme that does a 5k every Saturday. Sunday will be my rest day- although 2 Sundays a week I will be doing care work for an autistic child. I'm also becoming a girl guide leader, doing that every Wednesday evening, plus the training. I'm also doing an evening college course which is supposed to be 5-7 hours per week. Then I plan to do strength training whenever I can fit it in around house work/ school planning...
    So, yes - the point? I want to plan my meals in advance, but take plenty to snack on and keep myself busy to avoid comfort/ boredom eating. Any tips for keeping on track around a busy life are welcome!
    Options
    I stick with mainly low carb, high protein so you may not want my advice :-) BS (before school started) I was doing 2 miles/day 6 days a week, doing Run a 3k program with my husband, and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred 5-6 days/week. I thought I could keep it up. I couldn't SS (since school started) I haven't been able to get in a routine. I'm tired all the time but we are doing what we can. This week we have started a new plan, and have stuck with it so far. We are running at 5am doing the Run a 5k plan (up to 1.5 miles) MWF and then Saturday and Sunday. We are doing the 30 Day Shred Monday thru Friday every evening. Weekends are out break.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I am a special ed teacher and go back to school next week. I actually do better when I am in school...summers are hard for me. The structure and routine of being at work helps keep me focused on my workouts. I have a personal rule that I can only eat what I brought with me since there is always tons of junk in the faculty room.
    For lunch I usually bring chicken with veggies. I bake chicken ahead of time, weigh out my portion the night before school and then add frozen veggies (usually broccoli crowns) on top. I pair it with a laughing cow cheese wedge and a fiber one brownie.
    I tend to work out around 7 at night....after doing HW with my kids, getting things ready for tomorrow, dinner, etc. It has become the stress reliever I look forward to.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    *waves* I take an 'Oatso simple' sachet, 36g, for morning break - have it with hot water (200 calories ish) . Then a pre-cooked baked potato, for lunch, 200g ish, & 40g cheese (total 400 calories ish) - bang in the microwave in the staff room for one minute - job done!
    Options
    I am a special ed teacher and go back to school next week. I actually do better when I am in school...summers are hard for me. The structure and routine of being at work helps keep me focused on my workouts. I have a personal rule that I can only eat what I brought with me since there is always tons of junk in the faculty room.
    For lunch I usually bring chicken with veggies. I bake chicken ahead of time, weigh out my portion the night before school and then add frozen veggies (usually broccoli crowns) on top. I pair it with a laughing cow cheese wedge and a fiber one brownie.
    I tend to work out around 7 at night....after doing HW with my kids, getting things ready for tomorrow, dinner, etc. It has become the stress reliever I look forward to.

I love your rule of only eating what you bring!!!!!! We have monthly treat days then several fun themed lunches. It seems like if I avoid the lounge I'm safe, but then I eat alone those days. My dept head has a chocolate drawer in her room and that's hell to stay out of.

I am adopting your rule!!! Love it!!
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    . I have a personal rule that I can only eat what I brought with me since there is always tons of junk in the faculty room.

I need to stick to this rule! ALWAYS junk in our staff room!
  • SaberEsPoder
    SaberEsPoder Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    YES to the staff and mail rooms having treats! First day back on a work day there were THREE plates of desserts brought in :p

My new thing this fall is to purposely pack plenty of food...AM snack, usually leftovers for lunch, and a PM snack. That way when I am starving and stuck at school with meetings/grading/tutoring/emails/organizing/planning/etc., I don't get huge "snacks". Healthy, pre-portioned snacks :)

As for a workout schedule, I get up at 5am and do Jillian Michaels during the week. I've been too tired to do anything else, but I do like Tuesday night Zumba!
  • seinfeldlove
    seinfeldlove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make myself ride my stationary bike every morning before school, even if it's only 15 minutes. It sets me up for the day that I've already done something positive. Breakfast is usually a WW oatmeal or bacon and egg on a100 cal. English muffin. Our kids have snack twice a day so if I need to have a few grapes or apple slices w/ peanut butter I do, but not usually. Lunch is a Lean Cuisine and fruit. I get home around 4:20 and try to ride my bike again before I start supper. Some days if I'm on my feet all day I don't make it until later, but I make sure I do it again, just to keep me disciplined. Supper is around 7 and that's most of my points/calories for the day. Always a salad, with whatever the family is having. I also do better while in school. Summer is just so unstructured and lazy!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I ride/walk to work. (university)
    I find I eat healthier when I exercise my way to work.

I try to bring my own lunch, even if it's just a sandwich and fruit.

It's not always easy, especially once the semester roars on.
  • shelbz09
    Options
    you are so busy! I admire you!!!!!!!
  • shelbz09
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your feedback!

I am going to try to decide if its better for me to workout directly after work, or later on the evening!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Here is something I used to do when I was teaching. Whenever your teacher has their conference/off period, walk the halls in a very brisk pace for part of that time. You would be surprised how many calories you can burn was doing that fast walk up and down the halls. You can also do it before and after school.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am a K-8 music teacher on a cart. I already get a little bit of walking just going from room to room :) I usually have an english muffin with either Nutella or Biscoff spread with some sort of fruit for breakfast. Lunch is either a sandwich or salad with a fruit and a yogurt. I'll have one or two pre-portioned snacks also depending on the day (today I had pretzels). If I'm going to work out it's either going to be in the morning or right after school. Once it gets to be evening, I'm out for the count. I need my down time!!!
  • illarionova
    illarionova Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I teach 9th graders in Chicago. I get to work at 7 am and leave around 4-430pm. My advice is to pack lunches. Sunday is my pack my salads, hardboiled eggs and yogurt day. Also I fit in 5 am bootcamp on MWF. If you are motivated, you can fit it in.
  • stephbufe
    stephbufe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a middle school teacher. I gained about 30 lbs after my son was diagnosed with cancer. He is doing great and it's time to worry about my health. My plan is to stay away from processed foods. Was tough with all the junk food in the mailroom calling my name. I have also given up diet cokes and tea. Water only. So far so good. 4 days down, and a life time to go.
  • chickpea3dmt
    Options
    I'm doing IIFYM, but I think my intake is appropriate for the average person trying to lose or maintain weight.

I eat 1/2cup of oats and 1/2cup of egg whites in the morning before school with my coffee. Gotta be at school at 7:45am.
    I eat with the kids at lunch, so that is when I have my "snack" ... grapes and almonds. (Or stuff I can pick at and leave since I'm constantly having to be with the kids at lunch)... 10:45am
    I eat "lunch" in the classroom while the students are watching a program or doing independent work-- 4oz. chicken, 1/2cup rice, and some roasted pepper... 1/1:30pm
    I even get a pre-workout snack in by eating a Quest Nutrition bar in the afternoon (2:30pm)

I get out at 3:45 and hit the gym from about 4:15-5:30ish... head home... eat dinner, then do my work before bed.

Hope this helps!?
  • Kimmiijay
    Options
    Hey,

I'm a high school Chemistry teacher (who has been dumped into doing Physics and Biology along the way). We only get 35 minutes for lunch, and we are expected to do detentions for 15 mins of that.

Lunches I have tried are just a slim fast shake (quick and easy, even when a kid is in the room), smoked salmon and extra light creme cheese on rye bread (I take the packets in and make it up when I want it, being a science teacher I have a fridge in my room). Our school has Pasta King, which is only 200-350 a pot so sometimes I buy that. In the days of teaching in a school next to a branch of tesco with a 50 minute lunch break I used to get the 350cal sushi boxes and a bag of malteasers - but that got expensive.

Training wise I try and either peg it out of work and get the the gym as soon as possible after the bell to avoid the rush, or I wait until all my work is done and go about 10pm or have a run (I live in catchment area, and therefore prefer to run under cover of darkness).

I'll also do some stretches and stuff when I am teaching (the kids know Miss has dodgy joints and sometimes a stretch is needed), and makes circuits of my room part of my routine (good circulation and healthy...).

I'm not looking forward to the start of the new school year. I hate that until July of next year I will be thinking solidly about work and getting stressed. The amount I worry about work and the pressure of this profession I should be a size 8 by now.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    . I have a personal rule that I can only eat what I brought with me since there is always tons of junk in the faculty room.

I need to stick to this rule! ALWAYS junk in our staff room!

I will break that rule if it is fruit or veggies - but NO dips! :smile: