December holiday workouts

Options
I'm going to 2 places for holiday. The first one is just for 3 nights but lots of hikes there and I know my husband will probably drag me along. I hope the pool is also open as last year they closed it because of the c word.

Second place is in the mountains where my sister and friends live. Also lots of walks there. My horse used to be there but unfortunately he was pts this year. I also can't get on any horse as I have a traumatic brain injury and the path to getting back to riding has been long. Hopefully I can get at least one ride in.

What are yours?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'll be home, but other than some family walks I'll be more or less taking the week of Christmas off. I'll likely get into the weight room on that Tuesday, but I'll be busy entertaining after that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,848 Member
    Options
    Usually, I don't do anything major over the holidays, just drive a couple of hours to my SIL/BIL's, have a holiday dinner with the family, stay overnight, drive home next day. Last year, and probably this year again, I'll stay home. Last year, it was mainly the pandemic, and no vaccinations yet then. (They're over 80, I'm 66.) This year, it's more that all of the hospitals in both places are at 100%+ full, and the roads on that side of the state are frequently treacherous in Winter - like often blizzards and white-outs - so it seems like a good idea not to risk it.

Either way, I have a long-term established Winter pattern. I've been quite active for nearly 20 years, even while still obese, chiefly as an on-water rower. Every year, when the weather here gets inhospitable for rowing, I go through a period of delay and denial. In most recent years, the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge helps me get over myself, get into a productive routine, so I don't have to start over from square one in Spring.

Concept 2 make the rowing machines that most on-water rowers use in off season, among other equipment. They set up a challenge where if a person rows over 100,000 meters, up to 200,000 meters, between US Thanksgiving (11/25 this year) and Christmas Eve, they give a small amount to charity for each meter rowed, up to a community-wide maximum (rarely reached, they're willing to be generous). Unless I have some contraindication (like surgical recovery or something), I usually shoot for the 200,000 meters.

This year, if I do the workouts at moderate steady state, that's about 45 minutes, 6 days a week - very manageable. This year, I have the opportunity to split my time between the rowing machine and their stationary bike. (Bike meters count half as much as rowing meters, but the time commitment is similar either way.)

So, that's what's on. I'm doing 6 days a week, about 45 minutes per day, alternating rowing and cycling. Right now, I'm at 123,214 meters, on schedule.

After Christmas Eve, I'll be freakin' burned out on rowing and cycling, take a slacker break until I start feeling tense and grumpy, then resume workouts after a few days or a week. Later in the season, I usually mix in some strength training, maybe some other things for variety.

. . . and wait for Spring. It's a pattern. At this point, I trust it, even at the disgruntled points.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I'm going off to a little mountain town to celebrate my birthday on a ski trail. 🙂
  • Sharsou
    Sharsou Posts: 8,849 Member
    Options
    I’m working till Christmas Eve and doing my routine gym sessions. I’ll be off to a break with family and would be going to places For hiking and long walking and bike trails. So, the holidays are looking quite active!