alcohol and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have wine every now and then, and I don't really see any negative effects on my weight. I have found that beer definitely puts weight on you. I am no doctor or nutritionist, but I believe that it has something to do with the wheat content of beer. I was a huge beer drinker in college (big shocker), and at one point I stopped drinking beer for a month and dropped 20 pounds almost effortlessly.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I homebrew and have a 7-tap bar in my basement along with the multiple bottle back bar cooler. Yeah, I drink. But if it fits your calories, and you're not stupid about it, I don't see the issue. It's all about choices that you make. I eat more protein and filling foods that are good for me that are lower in calories, so I have enough calories left in my day to have a beer or two....or three or four depending on the day.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    If you work out as or after you drink, it burns right off.

I don't think that is true...

As for alcohol, I have been able to balance a couple nights out (once a month on average) and I usually go hard.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has little effect on my weight loss. I only log beer, and don't even count dry wines, whiskey, or dry cocktails.
  • adk7
    adk7 Posts: 15
    Options
    Browsing through these while bored at work, random thought: your ticker is the best thing I've ever seen. lol
  • If I want alcohol I add it into my diary and it is part of my daily calorie allowance. I usually stick to Prosecco instead of white wine
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you work out as or after you drink, it burns right off. I drink 4 - 5 beer a day but only while I'm walking the dogs. I am trying to cut back though.
    this is not true......it ,might replenish lost fluids but the calories aren't burnt any faster.

Budlight is like 110 cals......not bad at all and Vodka is fine and I throw in some Tequila. Just fit it in.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 nights a week.... I just make sure that I plan out what I'm going to drink and that it fits into my macros for the day. The next day I make sure to drink extra water (alcohol tends to dehydrate you).
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are accounting for the calories. Correctly. Measure your shots, don't just free pour and guess. Especially after you've had a few. If you need to eat a little less that day or over a few days that week, that's okay as long as it averages out. And yes, I'm pretty sure you do need to drink the whole bottle of wine ;)
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If you work it into your calories, it's fine. Just take a look at what's in each one, and then log it like you'd log everything else. You might find that you gain a little because alcohol can bloat, but as long as you log it in with your normal cals it should sort itself out.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I don't drink Sunday-Thursday, except for the occasional glass of wine. I drink pretty heavily every Friday and Saturday, though. I'm always within 200 Net calories of my weekly goal thoughI so it doesn't affect me much. :drinker:
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    No more than two days a week. Sticking to vodka and low cal mix when I can, or a glass of champagne, etc. ENSURING that I include it as calories. Gym same day & day after!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how other people trying to lose weight incorporate alcohol in their diet. I have pretty much avoided alcohol for most of the last month and enjoyed good weight loss and feel better for it. I was shocked at how mamy calories are on a bottle of wine when I tracked it on MFP.

I personally have a glass of wine or a beer 2-3 times a week, but I stop at ONE glass of wine or ONE beer. I save room for those calories so I know that I am not going over. I also drink lots of water to keep hydrated otherwise.

There are days (like once a month or so) where I will have more than just one and will get drunk...but since that doesn't occur very often for me, it hasn't affected my fat loss journey at all in a measurable amount.