Drinking on the weekends

Options
I never going to be able to quit drinking but I have at least limited it to just on the weekends.

During the week I am great with healthy foods and exercise and then the weekend comes around and all I want to do is get drunk and eat bad food. Guess it’s the social side of it too, going out with my friends on Saturday night don’t want to sit in front of a salad drinking water, life is short mentality.

Anyone overcome this problem and can offer any advice?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Vodka and sugar free soda is very low calorie. Just pick drinks that aren't high carb/high calorie.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    What about Sav Blanc?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Wine is quite high in calories/sugar. Maybe alternate a glass of wine with a water or something? Or get a spritzer - wine and soda water.

If it's just at the weekends and you don't overeat, maybe you don't need to worry too much. Not sure how old you are, but I used to drink a lot when I was at university, and especially when I did my 3rd year in France, and it didn't do me any harm. I lost quite a lot of weight. Of course, I didn't eat a lot....
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Edit: Double post
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Wine is quite high in calories/sugar. Maybe alternate a glass of wine with a water or something? Or get a spritzer - wine and soda water.

If it's just at the weekends and you don't overeat, maybe you don't need to worry too much. Not sure how old you are, but I used to drink a lot when I was at university, and especially when I did my 3rd year in France, and it didn't do me any harm. I lost quite a lot of weight. Of course, I didn't eat a lot....

Wine is not high in sugar if you stick to the dry whites. Can be quite reasonable for a glass.

OP: you could make it a rule that if you want to go out drinking on a Saturday night you have to do a big workout earlier in the day to mitigate the effects in advance.

Other than that, stick to the lower calorie options and limit the drunk/hung over foods.

You can drink and lose weight but you'll have to accept that your progress will be slower
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Stick with the reds. Better for you, less sugary. As gmallan suggested, you can have white wine spritzers, or you can just do shots and then club soda at the end. They are empty calories, though, but I think you already know that!
  • cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Vodka and sugar free soda is very low calorie. Just pick drinks that aren't high carb/high calorie.

FYI; This will actually give you an even worse hangover... Alcohol inhibits your body's ability to make glucose and to maintain healthy levels of glucose (or blood sugar) in the blood.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I still drink on the weekend, just not quite as much as I used to and I usually skip adding bad food into the equation. I eat something healthy at home before going out.
  • kathrynm4
    kathrynm4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Martini and diet sprite, gin/slimline tonic are both great if you need to save on calories..

I usually go out for a meal on a Saturday night and have some drinks but that's the day I do a big run in the mornings so I've usually an extra 1000-1500 calories to burn, makes sense!

Kate:smile:
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options

:drinker:

I try to limit my drinking as much as I can. If I drink a lot, I eat so much crap the next day. I stick to red wine and spirits
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    My strategy is to keep the carb intake low (because you're going to drink them) and mainly eat vegetables and protein. So I might have a chicken salad or similar for lunch and dinner. Then I can have a couple of ciders or similar.
  • JustSammi
    Options
    I drink on the weekends too. I always have a night out with my friends and boyfriend on a Saturday night and sometimes drink on Fridays. I won't give it up because it's a big part of my social life. Healthy living is supposed to be a lifestyle change so I fit drinking into that because I won't be able to maintain the lifestyle if I don't.

Luckily for me, I'm not a big fan of beer so I stick to low calorie drinks such as Vodka, soda & lime and JD & diet cokes. It hasn't hindered me so far. I try to save enough calories on the other days to make up for the alcohol calories and I try not to cheat by eating too many takeaways. I only allow myself to eat a takeaway after drinking on a Saturday night and eat healthily the rest of the time.

It hasn't hindered me so far. You just need to accept that it might take a little longer to reach your goals but you will reach them if you're sensible and you can still enjoy the drinks and fast food occasionally. :drinker:
  • Kitty7814
    Options
    I have started looking at the weekly total more often and rather than trying to limit that day or days. I put in what I'm going to have that day early in the week. Then I eat at a deficit during the week so that end of day Saturday I'm even for the week. The weekly report on the android app shows the average daily for a week and also the net under/over for the entire week. That's been a great help to me.
  • Visique
    Visique Posts: 23
    Options
    The answer = IIFYM ...GL!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Unless you're planning on consuming an entire keg of beer or gallon of booze each weekend a few drinks on the weekend won't hurt you. If snacking is your problem after drinking, then either plan for those snacks or make them unavailable to yourself.

Everything in moderation.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Exercise that morning and use up your extra calories on liquor. 600 calories of vodka is all you need for an awesome night, so you can easily burn that off in like 1-2 hours or so beforehand :tongue:
    As far as the food goes, I can relate so I just pre-plan what I intend on eating if I'm going to be out drinking/at a friend's house or whatever. I log all of my food before I go so I don't "accidentally" eat an entire bag of chips or something.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    anyone that drinks add me,we get together on here and have a blast!
  • cansmith80
    Options

AWESOME!!!!