Blockage in Carotid...

I recently found out my left carotid has a 90% blockage. I'm recovering from a stroke and I'm 43. I'm doing everything I can to try and turn it around. I recently cut out most sugar and am going for an extremely healthy diet. Wondering if anyone else is going through a similar hardship and looking for support, and ideas. I have a 20 year old and I hope and intend on being around for her.

Any suggestions would be amazingly appreciated ❤️

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Love your username! You have been through a lot. I don’t have specific advice or insight. My general thought, though, is small changes done consistently make the biggest difference in life. Best wishes to you and your daughter.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,758 Member
    edited December 2021
    I'll second the small changes idea!

What did the doctors say you should work on? I imagine your weight (if you're overweight/obese), lowering your blood pressure and improving your cholesterol?
    I have no personal experience with strokes, but your mention of sugar surprised me a bit, that's certainly not the first thing I'd think of in the context of a stroke.
    Big big disclaimer - I'm not a doctor and you should follow their advice. But my first thoughts would be : perhaps start by trying to lose weight (if you're overweight), starting to exercise (if you aren't currently exercising) and increasing healthy fat intake, lowering saturated fat intake and sodium intake.
    Not necessary simultaneously though, I recommend taking it step by step.

Wishing you success!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Definitely talk to your doctor. A plant based diet will help with lowering your cholesterol. Avoid animal fats. Often with that size of a blockage, a carotid endarterectomy is done. I’m not sure if you are a smoker, but if so, definitely quit.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,324 Member
    My husband was just diagnosed with outrageous blood pressure and so far it isn't going down It is so scary. I used to consider people with those problems lazy who just didn't stop smoking and start exercising and dieting immediately.
    Now, that someone I love and know has this? I see how hard an immediate lifestyle change can be. He's doing his best..but still smoking cigars, eating treats.. and drinking. I can't say much...I know he's scared.

So. I'll tell you what I wish I could tell him. Just start with losing the weight..and taking a 20 minute walk a day, And stay away from sodium ..which means no processed foods.

but easier said than done.