Healthy snacks for the movies

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I recently took my daughter to see Planes. I sliced up some strawberries, weighed out portions and put them into ziplocs. One for me, one for her. It was a great sneak, nice and sweet. Next time, I'm going to do grapes.

ETA: The movie was during lunch time, which sucked, so the snacks held us over until after the movie.
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Plenty of water to sip so you have something to occupy you which isn't food? Dried fruit or rice cakes?
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Seriously, No one snacks on healthy food at the movies?

Why does everyone have to stuff their face at the movie? Eat before or after the movie. Cant you sit still for 90 minutes and watch a movie without having to shove stuff into your cake hole?

How many people do you know that dont snack in the movies? Everytime I go most of the people have something to munch on. Im going before having dinner so a snack really would be bad considering I had my last big meal at 1 in the afternoon and only eating at 10 again. Thats just how I do it
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Why does everyone have to stuff their face at the movie? Eat before or after the movie. Cant you sit still for 90 minutes and watch a movie without having to shove stuff into your cake hole?

How many people do you know that dont snack in the movies? Everytime I go most of the people have something to munch on. Im going before having dinner so a snack really would be bad considering I had my last big meal at 1 in the afternoon and only eating at 10 again. Thats just how I do it

so if they all jumped off a bridge you would follow? who cares "what everyone else is doing" ....?
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options

No! :laugh:

Popcorn and all that is part of the experience. If I'm spending the money to go out for the evening, I'm going to have a treat with my movie. Particularly if it's an ipic theatre, or in imax.
  • jocanlose
    jocanlose Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I take a small pack of popcorn and some strawberries about 180 calories.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    ah the movies are tough for me - everyone else mucnhing def gives me the munchies!

water
    biltong (beef jerky)
    dried mango
    trail mix

enjoy your movie :)
  • JcMey3r
    Options
    Going to watch Pain & Gain...amped! dried fruit is good but sugar is a bit too much plus with all the chicken I ate today and no MMA class tonight I dont have much calories to play with. might just end up with water or at least a coke zero
  • JcMey3r
    Options
    ah the movies are tough for me - everyone else mucnhing def gives me the munchies!

water
    biltong (beef jerky)
    dried mango
    trail mix

Where you from, using the word biltong is not common.
  • ndj1979
    Options

No! :laugh:

Popcorn and all that is part of the experience. If I'm spending the money to go out for the evening, I'm going to have a treat with my movie. Particularly if it's an ipic theatre, or in imax.

this does not make sense to me ...but whatever...

and we wonder why there is an obesity problem out there...
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Honestly going to the movie means a definite mini bag of their popcorn with butter. Going tomorrow night and if it takes all my calories I will have it and not stress over it ....The sodium bothers me more than the calories considering its once every couple of months.Each to their own when it comes to eating and being happy with your choices.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Last time I went to the movies, I took with me some banana chips and a lara bar. Have fun, I find stuff like that is a lot easier to handle when you plan ahead.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I save up calories if I know I'm going to go later in the week. Because popcorn.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Why is eating at the movies such a big deal for some people? Even at home I like to eat something when I watch a movie.
    and we wonder why there is an obesity problem out there..
    Yeah... I'm sure it's from snacking at the movies a few times a year. Give me a break. It's a treat.

OP I like Blue Diamond Wasabi Soy Sauce Almonds while I watch movies.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options

water
    biltong (beef jerky)
    dried mango
    trail mix

south africa - we created biltong (aka beef jerky!)

:)
  • andypandy1109
    andypandy1109 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    plain air popped popcorn...but not in cinema sizes
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Why is eating at the movies such a big deal for some people? Even at home I like to eat something when I watch a movie.
    Yeah... I'm sure it's from snacking at the movies a few times a year. Give me a break. It's a treat.

its the attitude that says its a movie I am going to have a "treat" because its "movie time" ..a treat for the average person is going to be a bucket of buttered up popcorn, super sized drink, and a box of candy ...so movie time just turned into calorie blow out time...
  • JcMey3r
    Options

water
    biltong (beef jerky)
    dried mango
    trail mix

south africa - we created biltong (aka beef jerky!)

:)

Thought so.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

its the attitude that says its a movie I am going to have a "treat" because its "movie time" ..a treat for the average person is going to be a bucket of buttered up popcorn, super sized drink, and a box of candy ...so movie time just turned into calorie blow out time...

Even so, calorie blow out time as a part of an overall calorie conscious diet isn't a problem. Plus, OP and others in here are looking for more nutrition conscious options. What's wrong with happening to have a snack during a movie?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Even so, calorie blow out time as a part of an overall calorie conscious diet isn't a problem. Plus, OP and others in here are looking for more nutrition conscious options. What's wrong with happening to have a snack during a movie?

my obesity comment was directed at the prevalent attitude that BC it is movie time it is ok to eat, which adversely affects those of us who are not health conscious ...

as for eating at the movies, I really could care less...just find it curious why one has to have a "snack" just because of going to the movies...what is difference between that and snacking while watching tv at home...why do we always have to be eating?