Super morbidly obese - a diet that works for me

Options
366to266
366to266 Posts: 473 Member
I am posting this in the hope that it might help someone else who feels trapped and helpless in morbid obesity. I have copied it to the heavyweights board, but nobody seems to visit there so repeating here.

=========================================================================

My current regime, on which I am never hungry, feel great, and am losing 1.5 to 2lb a week.

Breakfast - (almost) zero carb and high fat fish or meat. Example: pickled herring with double cream, tin of tuna with mayonnaise, cooked ham, chicken thigh, Polish sausage. Pint of tea - either fruit, lemon or Indian tea with milk. (if milk use soy milk, lower carb).

Main meal (around 2 to 4pm): Big bowl of low carb and high fat salad (different types of lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions, sweet peppers, olives, onion, red and white cabbage, a LITTLE carrot or beetroot) drizzled with lemon or lime juice, plenty of good olive oil, and mayonnaise. Served with 200g-300g of high fat fish or meat. Example: prawns, white fish, tuna, haddock, sardine, mackerel, pilchard, salmon, chicken, ham, gammon, hamburger. Pint of tea as above.

Dinner (if needed) - same as breakfast.

Snack if needed (I rarely need) - hard boiled eggs mashed in mayonnaise. Tin of tuna mashed in mayonnaise. Pint of tea.

Supplements - ten nutritional pills a day, from St John's Wort to a multivitamin, Vit C, ALA, magnesium, potassium, chromium, and other stuff (I forgot what they are LOL)

Mostly I am having breakfast around 9am, main meal at around 5pm and nothing till the next day breakfast (because I am not hungry).

I think this comes to about 1600-1800 calories and about 20 to 30 carbs a day.

Exercise

One hour of aquazumba, 3 or 4 times a week. Small bits of walking, gently building up to longer distances over time.

For the past 9 days I have eaten no meat - only fish. I worried that it would not be as sustaining or filling as meat, but I feel great on it -- and not hungry at all!

Have lost 14lb in 8 weeks, despite a LOT of "cheating" in the first couple of weeks.

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :)
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am glad that low carb and high fat is working for you! :drinker:
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    WTG! Keep up the great work!
  • tropicalzephyr
    tropicalzephyr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    like the high protein but wont the mayo be off-setting it?
  • 366to266
    Options

Sorry I don't understand what you mean :-(
  • florencesewall
    Options
    that is great. i have just started ,i am also obese , also a dibetic, and every thing else that comes with being very overweight... congrats. on your 14 pd. weight loss...you are doing great...i am just starting to get serious about my over weight. i hope i can stick to this..you have inspired me to give it my best..thank you.:smile:
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

and so it begins.

OP- eat all the mayo you want. your diet is working for you, so rock on.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Good job! I'm copying some of your high protein ideas, in my ongoing quest to keep carbs down.
  • maffff
    maffff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sounds rubbish - rather you than me. But if it's working....
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finding something that works for you and appreciate your generosity in wanting to share it with others.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Glad you found something that's working!! Thanks for sharing such a healthy meal plan, too.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Similar to how I started cooking for my daughter when she got over 300. She lost 6 lbs first week, then 2 a week. As long as you stay within your macro goals, even with a little cheating, you will continue to be fine. congrats on the physical activity. Don't worry about the mayo, mayo can't off-set anything, whatever off set means. Yesterday I started back eating like this. MORE SUCCESS TO YOU!
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

and so it begins.

Egg-zactly!
    If it is working for you, keep it up! So many people have told me my method is wrong. Many try to instruct me on the "right" way to lose weight. My standard reply is: When what I am doing stops working, I'll check into it."
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 lbs in 6 months doing low carb. I wasn't taking the vitamins unfortunately, my hair started to fall out in clumps but the weight sure fell off. I started out doing that this time but had to change. I guess it was the sodium, I was swelling horribly. I was so proud of my weight loss but I slipped up at Christmas with my sister's home made double chocolate chunk cookies that sent me into a downward spiral which, in turn, sent my weight into an upward thrust like being propelled by rockets lol. Needless to say, I gained ALL my weight back plus about 30 lbs. I'm saying all that to say, be very careful not to lose track of what your doing. Low carb can turn from being your miracle to being the enemy. It absolutely works you just have to make it a lifestyle. Congrats on your weight loss and keep up the good work. I'm starting over and have to take a different, slower approach I'm afraid :yawn: :laugh:
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options

and so it begins.

Egg-zactly!
    If it is working for you, keep it up! So many people have told me my method is wrong. Many try to instruct me on the "right" way to lose weight. My standard reply is: When what I am doing stops working, I'll check into it."

When your counting carbs, Mayo is your friend! :wink:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that is working for you, OP.

If you do hit a wall there are other approaches you can shift to, and there are plenty of us here who can help. In the meantime, keep up what you are doing, and if anything, you can probably cut down a bit on the supplementation to save yourself some money.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's working! Good on you for getting control over your life! :flowerforyou:
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Great job! I am low carb and have to be for the rest of my life. Glad to see it is working for you! :)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Fish is good but are you not concerned at the least bit of Mercury with the amount you eat of it in a weeks time? Glad it's working for you though.
  • 366to266
    Options
    Sounds rubbish - rather you than me.

I'd like you to elucidate on what part of my fresh fish, fresh meat, fresh raw veggies diet, which contains NO junk, preservative, artificial sweeteners, processed or artificial foods, you think deserves the label of "rubbish".
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!