New here

Options
Hello all! I am a new member here.. I am not here to change myself as a person, but to work on my health. Being overweight and having a few health issues is hurting the quality of my life. So this is something I am hoping to finally change.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,811 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow. That’s a conundrum.

First of all, welcome to MFP.

I had to change myself as a person to get the weight and health under control. No change=“no change” if you understand me.

I’m not even sure how you could do one without the other. What are you envisioning?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    when i first started working out, i didnt even consider it that. i just wanted to try and be a bit healthier. losing weight wasn't even my goal. I mean, i needed to, and knew i needed to, but i just wanted to try and be healthier. I started by just going on a walk 2-3 times a week. and.... it wasn't much of a walk. at almost 400 pounds i could not go very far at all. 10 minutes was about all i had in me. but i kept doing it. and it didnt take long, really, before i could go a little bit longer. and then, i started to go more often. always when it was dark, i didnt want people to SEE me - but id go after dark, or early in the morning. often, both. more days added. my neighbor was a member at planet fitness and asked me if i wanted to go with her (she only went occasionally). I said sure. So I'd go with her. i thought i was going to die on the elliptical. lasted about 7 minutes. But kept going. maybe once a week with her? not very often. kept walking. By that point had started watching what I was eating (i think). Then i wanted to go to the gym more than she did, so got my own membership. That was back in 2014. So... all of it was a process. a long one. But I didnt give up. You dont have to work out to lose weight. As I said, that happens in the kitchen. But it does have many other benefits that your body does need. Find something you enjoy. Most Y's are affordable and have a wide variety of classes for all fitness levels. Make small changes. dont try to change everything overnight. little changes can lead to giant ones, if you give it enough time.

and it WILL change you. and thats a good thing....
  • Ginharbe
    Ginharbe Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, and good luck. We are all together on this journey
  • Beckmann0408
    Beckmann0408 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know as I start losing weight I will change in some ways, which I hope are all good. I guess what I was trying to say in my original post is that my life is good and I am happy in all ways except for my weight, which of course adds other problems. Example: I have arthritis in both my knees and being heavy makes them hurt more. Especially since my left knee basically has no cartilage left between where it bends. So i can be very painful. I also have hypothyroidism which makes it difficult to lose weight. I do have a positive attitude about it though cause i have lost weight before ao i know i can do it ( Sparkpeople and Deal-a-meal). It's saying with it that seems to be the most challenging.