Menopause?

My daughter is only 18 but hasn't had a period for a year and is having hot flushes right before she goes to sleep and has been feeling very down. Could this be an early menopause? She has been having periods regularly since she was 13 and is not under or overweight. I'm very worried. I know this is not a site for questions such as this but I don't want to have to make an account anywhere else. Thank you.

Replies

• Um, are you serious? Get your daughter to a dr fercripesake.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,762 Member
    When I was 14 my thyroid got out of whack and my period stopped for six months until I was put on medication. Get her to a doctor ASAP.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Ops profile claims she is an 18 year old female. Impossible to have an 18 year old daughter.
    I have but they keep dismissing me saying she is still young.
  • Ops profile claims she is an 18 year old female. Impossible to have an 18 year old daughter.
    Yes, I forgot to edit the year of birth when I made my profile and don't know how to change it now.

You're trolling. Stop wasting people's time.

You're trolling. Stop wasting people's time.
    I'm not at all. If you don't want you're time wasted, don't comment
  • TamImbrogno
    TamImbrogno Posts: 72 Member
    Ask for a full blood work to be done. I was 23 and has early menopause...my periods stopped etc. But its best for her to have it checked asap. If the doctor that she is seeing currently doesn't want to go more in depth and is dismissing your concerns then its time to move on and find another doctor!!!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    No half decent doctor would ignore an another wise healthy 18 year old not having her period for a year. And what 18 year old waits a year before seeing a doctor?
  • No half decent doctor would ignore an another wise healthy 18 year old not having her period for a year. And what 18 year old waits a year before seeing a doctor?
    She didn't, she went after 6 months and they did blood tests fr anemia and came back fine.
  • Thank you to those who have commented with advice and not simply questioned my honesty and called me a troll!
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    If she has not had a period for a year and she is not underweight. I would definitely get her to the doctor. If the doctor you are with just now is dismissing her then go to another doctor. As someone said, it could be thyroid issues. But not having a period for that long at such a young age isn't right and should be checked out. Hope you find the cause soon and good luck :flowerforyou:
  • If she has not had a period for a year and she is not underweight. I would definitely get her to the doctor. If the doctor you are with just now is dismissing her then go to another doctor. As someone said, it could be thyroid issues. But not having a period for that long at such a young age isn't right and should be checked out. Hope you find the cause soon and good luck :flowerforyou:
    Thank you, I will be taking her to a different doctor now. She is very shy and not very good at asking for appointments etc :)
  • TamImbrogno
    TamImbrogno Posts: 72 Member
    Make sure they check her HORMONE levels. The blood tests for that can determine if its menopause etc. Has she been on birth control? That's another thing that can mess with periods!
  • Make sure they check her HORMONE levels. The blood tests for that can determine if its menopause etc. Has she been on birth control? That's another thing that can mess with periods!
    No, nothing like that. I'm going to ring up tomorrow morning. Thank you for replying!:smile:
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    I'm 37 and going through the same thing. Hot flashes. Night sweats. I've been on depo for 10 year so no period for years. But when I brought it up to my doctor she blew me off saying that it was because I had a blanket over me at the time. She also doesn't listen about another issue I'm having so I'm currently searching for a new doctor. I think that it is possibe. Has your daughter been on birth control? Some of them can affect periods. I would demand a full blood work up. It's good to get those once in a while any way to be sure you don't have any other problems brewing. It could just be her whole system out of whack and she needs hormones to regulate it. Bottom line: Make the doctor listen or find a new doctor.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Is she on any Rx's? Have her doc to a full panel on her blood work. Thyroid hormones being off can throw off your whole system.