How many calls is your breakfast?

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
I found an awesome recepie for granola and decided to make some, however I added up the calories this morning and a small bowl with milk comes in at a whopping 700cals! I expected it to be high as its very nut heavy but still, 700cal seems like a crazy amount for breakfast. I'm really full however, and can see it easily taking me through to lunch, I'm just wondering does anyone regularly have a breakfast that high in calories?

Replies

• workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is 173 calories worth of cereal and i have fruit as a mid morning snack to take me to lunch time. 700cals is really excessive for breakfast!
  • skilvington
    skilvington Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    See how it works out for you. If it keeps you satisfied for a long time it may be worth the calorie spend, if not maybe try adjusting the recipe to make it less so. Good luck.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    A splash of milk in my coffee does for me until the evening most weekdays.

If I'm feeling so inclined I'll have some spiced up tuna on toast, good for energy and protein, around 280 calories.
  • SoLiveItUp
    SoLiveItUp Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Just had 765 calories worth of variety of my favorite foods and was totally stuffed, it stops me from craving for them all day.
  • shivles
    Options
    I have almost 2000 cals allocated per day as I'm doing insanity, so as long as I have a low cal lunch and a normal portion dinner it shouldn't be a problem right? Maybe this granola is better suited to sprinkling on yoghurt lol
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to love big bowls of cereal in the morning until I joined MFP and found out I was eating 700-800 just for breakfast.. crazy!
    Now I just stick with a bowl of porridge and a bit of sweetener, fills me up til lunch and only 184 cals.
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have almost 2000 cals allocated per day as I'm doing insanity, so as long as I have a low cal lunch and a normal portion dinner it shouldn't be a problem right? Maybe this granola is better suited to sprinkling on yoghurt lol

Spend your calories how you like, so long as you hit your daily goal there's no problem with when you eat them.
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Usually between 250-330 calories, either an omelette or some toast
  • maffff
    maffff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I tend to go in at about 200 ish. Today was 204 -

Danone Actimel 0% drinking yoghurt 28cal, 3 carbs, 0 fat, 3 protein, 0 fibre
    Weetabix Baked with Golden Syrup [2 biscuits], 158 cal, 31 carbs, 1 fat, 5 protein, 4 fibre
    Yeo Valley Organic Skimmed Milk [50ml], 18 cal, 2 carbs, 0 fat, 2 protein, 0 fibre

I tend to just vary the cereal I have, alternatives recently-

Shredded Wheat [2 biscuits], 160 cal, 37 carbs, 1 fat, 5 protein, 6 fibre
    Special K [30g], 114 cal, 28 carbs, 0 fat, 8 protein, 1 fibre

Occasionally I'll throw in a

Dolce Gusto Marrakesh Style Mint Tea, 29 cal, 7 carbs, 0 protein, 0 fibre.
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I vary my breakfast every say, usually some kind of cereal or porridge, occasionally toast, but it is usually around the 200 mark. Are you having loads of milk? I only put enough on to moisten the cereal whereas my husband makes the cereal go for a swim!
  • JCMA94
    JCMA94 Posts: 6
    Options
    Could you share the recipe please? Then I would be able to voice my opinion better knowing what you put into it :)
  • angelasfree1
    angelasfree1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have 2 Weetabix and 0.5 pint(ish) of skimmed milk for 232 cals. That keeps me going for about 3 hours, then I have a banana (100 cals).

700 cals is a lot for a breakfast I reckon, but if you have the cals to spend then go for it. Especially on something so healthy as granola. I sometimes have granola for lunch with fruit and natural yoghurt. That meal would be too high in cals for me personally to have for breakfast because I have 1280 cals to spend a day, I don't spend the cals I earn with exercise.

Just out of interest, what weight is 700 cals worth of granola though? Sounds quite a lot?
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    mine is 250 cal (2 weetabix with skimmed milk and honey) I usually then have an am snack of fruit :)

700 is alooot for breakfast is you are trying to loose not bulk.

have nuts but in moderation
  • crystalrp
    crystalrp Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating a bowl of it for cereal, what if you used some as a yogurt topper, maybe with extra fruit?
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is typically between 200-300 depending on the day. 700 sounds like a lot to but if it keeps you full and you eat less through out the day it may work for you!
  • shivles
    Options
    The recipe was:
    1 cup Scottish oats
    1/2 cup each of pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts, walnuts and pecans
    1/3 cup of honey
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    2tbsp vanilla extract
    2tbsp cocoa powder

Baked then cooled, makes 4 servings. Served with a splash of semi skimmed milk.

I like the recipe, it's full of good stuff and its super filling. Even with the calories I'd choose it over most store bought granolas.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I have around 7-800 cals .. 4 fried eggs on 4 slices toast .. It's my bulking breakfast as well as normal breakfast when losing. Doesn't really matter when you eat your macros/cals though
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast is about 730 calories. That includes a protein shake with skim milk.

Raisin bran, skim milk, chia seeds, glass of OJ, coffee with fat free half and half.
  • nomena
    nomena Posts: 165
    Options
    Mine is around 250-400 depending on what I have.
    Normally toast/fruit/müsli.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually 2 slices of organic wholewheat toast with some organic dairy free spread... Around 250 cals.