Migraines and exercise

Options
I'm a migraine sufferer. I've recently changed my exercise "program" to be more running-based than previously. I've always done a range of exercise as I like variety. Walking, jogging, swimming, cycling, strength training, squash, tennis etc. I'm starting to train for a half marathon, so I'm running with more intensity (trying to get faster) and longer distances. Following Jeff Galloway run-walk-run method. Loving it....but recently my migraines have increased in frequency and intensity.
I'm wondering if I'm not hydrating enough, so I've been concentrating on increasing my water and electrolyte intake. Also wondering if just the change in exercise is affecting me. There are no other environmental changes that I can think of that may be the cause.
Just wondering if anyone else has changes in their migraines when they increase the Intensity of their exercise?
I have a range of triggers I'm aware of, and avoid.

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    If you’ve excluded the obvious triggers (for me those would include light and allergens) - have you ever had migraine with a rise in blood pressure? Blood pressure is not a trigger for me but I have read it can affect some people, and it could correlate with the longer or harder runs. Hydration is defo important - and that will also affect blood pressure - and temperature can also bring on attacks with some people. The final thought is your electrolytes could be out of wack after a longer run which might be a trigger, so consider a sports drink, electrolyte tablets dissolved in water or orange juice diluted with water. No idea if any of that will help but good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For me exercise intensity was never in itself a trigger.
    At my absolute worst point in my "migraine years" I actually used intense exercise as a migraine breaker when I had run out of meds to take, I was only allowed enough meds for c. four episodes a week and was mostly having five.

An easy way to check your hydration levels from endurance cardio is to hop on the scales before and after your training. I do that in summer when despite thinking I've drunk enough during my long rides I might be 2 or 3lbs down.
    Dehydration was definitely one of my triggers.
    Are your neck and shoulders relaxed during your runs? Prolonged neck tension was another of my triggers.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Running sometimes triggers my migraines. Low impact stuff doesn’t. My blood pressure is normal. I avoid running. That’s just me though. You could ask your doctor.
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Are your neck and shoulders relaxed during your runs? Prolonged neck tension was another of my triggers.

Ah. Yes. Lightbulb! Neck tension is a trigger. Thanks. I'll work on this.
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options
    Blood pressure is not a trigger for me but I have read it can affect some people, and it could correlate with the longer or harder runs. Hydration is defo important - and that will also affect blood pressure - and temperature can also bring on attacks with some people. The final thought is your electrolytes could be out of wack after a longer run which might be a trigger, so consider a sports drink, electrolyte tablets dissolved in water or orange juice diluted with water. No idea if any of that will help but good luck!

I'm working on hydration and electrolyte imbalance. I think I'm ok in that regard but I am watching it.

However I had not considered blood pressure as a cause.

Temperature isn't usually an issue...but it's very warm here atm, so it's possible that that is a cause. All things I hadn't considered, or that haven't affected me previously.
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Running sometimes triggers my migraines. Low impact stuff doesn’t. My blood pressure is normal. I avoid running. That’s just me though. You could ask your doctor.

Ha ha yeah I guess I could stop running and see if they go away! But I've been doing 10-12km regularly previously without issue. It's the speed and distance I'm trying to increase at the moment. So slow jogging seems ok. Maybe I'm just not made for running a half marathon and should be happy with a 10km limit.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Me too, I get migraines induced by higher intensity exercise, including running. Especially when it's warm, but sometimes also in cooler temperatures.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options

Me too, I get migraines induced by higher intensity exercise, including running. Especially when it's warm, but sometimes also in cooler temperatures.

I have noticed the sun triggers my migraines too, which is a shame because I love hot, sunny weather.
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options
    In case anyone was following...I think I've narrowed the problem down to yoga rather than running. I took a break from yoga (I just do online, YouTube sessions, no classes) while I was away on holiday. Continued with the running. My migraines went away. I've been back for two weeks, re-started the yoga and have had two migraines in that time. I'll stop the yoga for the time being, and see if that helps. Anyone else get migraines from yoga? Seems a weird trigger tbh.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Running more and or faster therefore burning more calories - are you correctly eating more, or increasing the deficit?

Backing off 1 exercise routine (yoga not really a big burner, but if on the verge of a negative effect just a bit could push you over) could be making the difference.

Are you running at a pace that is predominately carb burn because so intense (you can barely say a complete sentence without getting out of breath), or are you mainly fat burn for training endurance (can say a complete sentence or two without any issues)?

I ask because my migraines were related to blood sugar levels, actually from the night before eating too late. If I exercised 3-5 hrs a week I would get none. Beat 3-5 hrs of migraines knocking me out a week.

But the amount you eat and the intensities of the runs could easily effect that too.

I know there are plenty of triggers that vary to get the ball rolling down that hill, just throwing another out there.
    Yoga or at least some form of stretching can be pretty useful. Especially with running.
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options
    @heybales I am a slow runner. I can run for two hours and easily hold a conversation! I'm currently increasing my speed and working hard, but I reckon I could still talk while running.
    I do stretch and roll...the yoga is just an extra workout I do a few times a week.

Sugar is definitely a trigger...a can of coke or bowl of ice cream will set me off if I've had more sugar than usual prior. But I hadn't thought about low blood sugar.

I don't know if it was a reduction in activity...I usually bike to and from work, and wasn't doing that, but I was walking a lot more and spending more of my day outside (being on holiday).

I will definitely keep an eye on blood sugar and timing of eating before running and see if that makes a difference. For the time being, I'm stopping the yoga 😁
  • MarchioMadness
    MarchioMadness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @heybales I am a slow runner. I can run for two hours and easily hold a conversation! I'm currently increasing my speed and working hard, but I reckon I could still talk while running.
    I do stretch and roll...the yoga is just an extra workout I do a few times a week.

Sugar is definitely a trigger...a can of coke or bowl of ice cream will set me off if I've had more sugar than usual prior. But I hadn't thought about low blood sugar.

I don't know if it was a reduction in activity...I usually bike to and from work, and wasn't doing that, but I was walking a lot more and spending more of my day outside (being on holiday).

I will definitely keep an eye on blood sugar and timing of eating before running and see if that makes a difference. For the time being, I'm stopping the yoga 😁

Yeah, Yoga for me caused my first experience with what i have now been diagnosed with Hemipelagic Migraine. It was very scary. I can't seem to narrow it down though why some activities at some times and not others trigger these episodes. Very frustrating.
  • poharry34
    poharry34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can only say that my migraines (exercised induced) have greatly decreased since started taking Stress Tabs (B Complex vitamins). I am amazed at how it has changed me for the better. It would not be uncommon for a migraine to come on with any type of exertion. I have been taking these vitamins for probably 12 yrs now and the problem has all but went away.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I see this is an older thread- thanks for the update, OP! I’m sorry you’re struggling with yoga possibly being the culprit. I have many triggers, but the biggest one for me is change. Changed my diet? Migraine. Changed my exercise routine? Migraine. Got more or less sleep than usual? Migraine. And the list goes on.

I do tend to react badly to muscle soreness. The migraine almost always happens at the same time as the DOMS set in. It’s almost like I’m reacting to the lactic acid buildup.

Overall my migraines got way better when I gave up caffeine and then again a year later when I started Emgality, which is my miracle drug. Nowadays they are far less frequent and severe.

Best of luck to you in dealing with them!