Are ensure drinks good for their purpose?

Options
I'm tired of being skinny. I've been on a 3500 calorie diet packed with foods like peanut butter, fruits and proteins like eggs and chicken but nothing is working. I'm sick of being so underweight. I'm 18, 5'4 and 100lbs. My BMI is like 16.5. I'm just so tired of being a ****ing weakling. I've always been like this. I don't really exercise or lift weights or anything. I am lightly active sometimes but most of the time I'm jut laying around.

My question is are ensure drinks the answer? Are they good for weight gain? And another question, what's better? 3 big meals or 6 small meals? People on forums say 3 big meals because 6 meals makes your metabolic rate alive and fast and breaks food down fast so 3 is better. But what is truly better? 3 big or 6 small. And are ensure drinks the answer to my problems?

Replies

• Nellyb123456
    Options
    Btw, I've been on this diet for about 3-4 weeks now. Before that I was only on a 1500 calorie diet
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Btw, I've been on this diet for about 3-4 weeks now. Before that I was only on a 1500 calorie diet

what were you expecting in 3-4 weeks?

I'm not being funny, but you need to keep at it for a LOT longer than that before you see any changes or can claim it isnt working...

as for the number of meals, it doesnt matter, whichever fits into your day, 1 meal or 72 meals, just get all th ecalories in!

just keep eating and keep lifting heavy stuff, and you'll get there eventually!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you increased calories by 2000 a day and have not gained anything?

I would recommend that you start a lifting program that consists of compound movements. With the amount of food you are eating you should start getting bigger and will not be as "weak"...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm not being funny, but you need to keep at it for a LOT longer than that before you see any changes or can claim it isnt working...

as for the number of meals, it doesnt matter, whichever fits into your day, 1 meal or 72 meals, just get all th ecalories in!

in three to four weeks at 2000 + calories a day that would be 14,000 excess calories a week , which equates to about a four pound gain per week ..so you would assume that OP would have gained about 16 pounds in four weeks, or four pounds a week...

Unless OP has done some long term metabolic damage and is resetting metabolism...but even then with such a large increase you would expect to see some kind of gain over a four week period...
  • qpurser
    qpurser Posts: 1
    Options
    First of all I am not an expert. Just want to share my experiences.
    I am in the same situation as you having problems gaining weight. I eat regular meals but don't gain an ounce.
    I tried a while ago the Ensure products and even when I felt good and liked them a lot I didn't really gain any weight. I guess if you really want to gain weight with them you would have to drink so many of them it would be insane and quite expensive also.
    Last week I wanted to start another approach, have been doing some research and visited some nutrition stores to get some info regarding Weight Gaining products.
    I am sure there are several good ones out there but highly recommended was a product called "Russian Bear" (don't let the name scare you. lol). I was suggested not to use the full amount from the label as it is really a lot to take. As of now I am using 1/2 a measuring cup mixed in 8 ounces of milk 3 times a day and I start already to see some results. I am sure after a while I can use 1 scoop 3 times a day. I still eat my regular meals.
    As I don't just want to gain weight and get fat I try to do some daily exercises. We have an elliptical at home I use twice daily but of course any other kind of exercise will help you not just to gain weight but keep your muscles in shape.
    Hope this help a bit.
    Mike
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    1. start lifting. you can't put on "good" weight if you aren't lifting weights. you'll just get fat and look awful

2. have patience. you aren't gonna pack on 20 pounds in two months. shoot for a gain of 1 pound per week, its easy to do if you're lifting and eating.

3. unless you're tracking everything, you probably aren't eating nearly as much as you think you are.

4. try to stick with food, but if you need something, get whey protein and add oats, milk, pb to it and make a gainer shake
  • TavistockToad
    Options

in three to four weeks at 2000 + calories a day that would be 14,000 excess calories a week , which equates to about a four pound gain per week ..so you would assume that OP would have gained about 16 pounds in four weeks, or four pounds a week...

Unless OP has done some long term metabolic damage and is resetting metabolism...but even then with such a large increase you would expect to see some kind of gain over a four week period...

the OP said she used to eat 1500 cals, which i would presume is a deficit?

but yes, you would expect some sort of movement on the scales... but still, 3-4 weeks isnt long enough to determine if a calorie goal is too high or too low or whatever, IMO.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Are you really assuming an 18 year old has a TDEE of 1500? No way. Probably much closer to the 3500 for a TDEE.

OP - Lift heavy, keep eating the 3500 calories. Ensure shakes are meant as nutritional supplements and meal replacements, they aren't weight gaining shakes. You need lots of patience. 3 weeks is nowhere near enough time for anything to happen.
  • ndj1979
    Options

but yes, you would expect some sort of movement on the scales... but still, 3-4 weeks isnt long enough to determine if a calorie goal is too high or too low or whatever, IMO.

it takes four to six weeks for your body to start reacting to changes that you implement...so assuming OP is correct and is eating 2000+ calories a day why wouldn't there be a gain in four weeks? I just find it hard to believe zero weight gain in four weeks when consuming 56,000 excess calories in a month....
  • TavistockToad
    Options

it takes four to six weeks for your body to start reacting to changes that you implement...so assuming OP is correct and is eating 2000+ calories a day why wouldn't there be a gain in four weeks? I just find it hard to believe zero weight gain in four weeks when consuming 56,000 excess calories in a month....

yes, and i agreed with you that i would have thought there would be a change on the scales... not sure what you're trying to get at now?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    if you add vodka or whiskey, they are really good
  • ghost15026
    Options
    I'm tired of being skinny. I've been on a 3500 calorie diet packed with foods like peanut butter, fruits and proteins like eggs and chicken but nothing is working. I'm sick of being so underweight. I'm 18, 5'4 and 100lbs. My BMI is like 16.5. I'm just so tired of being a ****ing weakling. I've always been like this. I don't really exercise or lift weights or anything. I am lightly active sometimes but most of the time I'm jut laying around.

My question is are ensure drinks the answer? Are they good for weight gain? And another question, what's better? 3 big meals or 6 small meals? People on forums say 3 big meals because 6 meals makes your metabolic rate alive and fast and breaks food down fast so 3 is better. But what is truly better? 3 big or 6 small. And are ensure drinks the answer to my problems?

Age 18 - higher metabolism anyhow.
    Likely an innately high metabolism based on genetics to boot.
    TDEE for a male, little to no activity, is something around 1700 calories.

You will only get bigger/stronger:
    Increase and maintain higher calories, high protein.
    Lift heavy, keep cardio down

The number of meals isn't going to make much of a difference (more helpful to losing weight as it limits meal sizes/balances satiety). Focus on calorie/macro-nutrient intake. If you don't lift or do some type of heavy resistance, any weight gained will be fat instead of muscle. You can't just lay around and eat - it doesn't work that way.

Protein shakes, drinks, are all supplements. They shouldn't be used in lieu of food. Supplements exist to help you meet calorie/nutrient goals or for particular circumstances. Will Ensure help you? Definitely, to some extent, but don't depend on it to replace proper nutrition.

You'll have to be more patient. You seem to have the right idea on diet but you have to lift weight for strength and lean mass. Amazon/Google the better-rated books and resources.

Have a friend who lifts? Pair up if you can.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

i can't count the number of people who have told me that they're eating 3500 cals a day and not gaining weight.
    Typically they weren't eating anywhere near that amount, and weren't putting in work at the gym.

It takes a lot of effort to double or triple your eating habits, and most people aren't eating as much as they think. I routinely broke out in a sweat from forcing myself to eat enough to be x weight.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Ensure are meal replacement shakes for people who cannot eat (kind of like pediasure for kids over the age of 1). So people who have swallowing disorders, G-tubes, NG-tubes, etc. Balanced nutrition so they don't have a deficit due to their medical problem.

Saying that, they can be used as calorie supplements, but in health people who can eat, they are unnecessary.

Now I don't see a food diary (hidden or not available), but if you really are eating 3500 calories a day, at your weight with little muscle mass and no exercise, you should be gaining weight unless your body cannot absorb those nutrients. In which case you need to see a doctor.
  • ChelleyCredible
    ChelleyCredible Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs in 1 week when I used to take Adderall (for ADD)...never made me hungry, thus the loss of weight.

Well, I gained 17/20 back since June and now it's September. So that's about 1.4 lbs a week I gained on average. You will see fluctuations everytime you weigh yourself. So I suggest weighing in, once a month and no more than twice. It can be discouraging. Because somedays I weighed a certain weight and a few hours later I was 3 lbs down. It's normal for the body to fluctuate.

How did I gain the weight back? Well, CARBS...LOTS of them. Along with healthy fats and protein = PERFECTION. Avoid caffeine's/soda/fast food. That's all unhealthy food that either will gain you the hard to lose fat or just not gain anything from it. It's always a lose-lose with outside foods. Also, you have to be active. You can't just expect it to come in a few weeks. It takes time.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs in 1 week when I used to take Adderall (for ADD)...never made me hungry, thus the loss of weight.

Well, I gained 17/20 back since June and now it's September. So that's about 1.4 lbs a week I gained on average. You will see fluctuations everytime you weigh yourself. So I suggest weighing in, once a month and no more than twice. It can be discouraging. Because somedays I weighed a certain weight and a few hours later I was 3 lbs down. It's normal for the body to fluctuate.

How did I gain the weight back? Well, CARBS...LOTS of them. Along with healthy fats and protein = PERFECTION. Avoid caffeine's/soda/fast food. That's all unhealthy food that either will gain you the hard to lose fat or just not gain anything from it. It's always a lose-lose with outside foods. Also, you have to be active. You can't just expect it to come in a few weeks. It takes time.
    You lost me when you said caffeine causes fat gain. If anything, caffeine promotes fat loss (there's a reason it's the active ingredient in every diet supplement, ever.) Caffeine also has a ton of health and performance benefits from an exercise standpoint, as well as being an appetite suppressant.

Also, fast food and soda don't cause fat gain either. Eating over maintenance calories causes weight gain, doesn't matter the food choice.