The Real Reason We're Fat (or Some of Us, Anyway)

Options
rml_16
rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
My agency merged with another and we're in two different buildings. Some people from the other agency got moved into ours and three of them sit behind me. All three are overweight, two probably close to (or possible there) morbidly obese.

Today, for the second time, one of the heavier women is complaining about how far away the water fountain is. I counted. From my desk to the water fountain is 86 steps.

She has started getting ice from the cafeteria (slightly closer) and letting it melt instead of walking to the fountain for water.

Replies

• rml_16
    Options
    That was unnecessary.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options

She has started getting ice from the cafeteria (slightly closer) and letting it melt instead of walking to the fountain for water.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have seen today....
  • HeyImMarcus
    Options
    That was unnecessary.

obamadealwithit_gif.gif
  • rml_16
    Options

This is the most ridiculous thing I have seen today....

Tell me about it.

I LIKE that the water is a bit of a walk. A little extra movement in my day. Plus, it's next to the bathroom, so I usually get my water after I pee, which I do a lot because I drink a lot of water.
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    The only thing that I can think of is that, already being quite large, it probably is pretty difficult to reach the fountain. That being said, it still isn't an excuse and IS probably why they are that large to begin with. But you must see things from both points of view, too. :)
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yep. Laziness is probably one of the biggest reasons why many of us are overweight.

That is more than mildly ridiculous about your coworker complaining about it being too far to walk for water :huh: I don't even know what to say to that. And you say it's next to the bathroom - so does she complain about how far the bathroom is too? :laugh:
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Because we eat too much and don't move enough? I usually just say it's because we're lazy.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Sadly, it is human nature to follow the path of least resistance.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I find that so weird. I hate working and am always looking for excuses to get up and run around. Now that I'm on the second floor, it's a slow day if I haven't gone up and down the stairs ten times.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    that is really sad that they don't want to get up and move. But, if they are happy with themselves....
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    double post
  • 1dce
    1dce Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they would be open to some help. Maybe you could start talking more and more to them and start getting them to take small walks with you or even changing up their diets little by little. Maybe adding a few more years on for them :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    The only thing that I can think of is that, already being quite large, it probably is pretty difficult to reach the fountain. That being said, it still isn't an excuse and IS probably why they are that large to begin with. But you must see things from both points of view, too. :)
    I can see that. But they're on the young side and seem to move around pretty well.

They have no problem walking out to their cars and back at lunch time for fast food. I know you can eat that and be healthy and in general there's nothing inherently wrong with it. But when you'll make the physical effort to do THAT, but not walk to the water fountain two hallways away ...

Yeah, it adds up.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yep. Laziness is probably one of the biggest reasons why many of us are overweight.

That is more than mildly ridiculous about your coworker complaining about it being too far to walk for water :huh: I don't even know what to say to that. And you say it's next to the bathroom - so does she complain about how far the bathroom is too? :laugh:

They all have pee bottles under their desks.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I wonder if they would be open to some help. Maybe you could start talking more and more to them and start getting them to take small walks with you or even changing up their diets little by little. Maybe adding a few more years on for them :)
    Um ... no.

Should they ever ask me, I'm happy to offer guidance. But I'm not going to randomly start telling people I barely know how to live their lives. I was just commenting on the correlation between the attitude and the results of it.

People want to blame carbs and restaurants and everything and anything besides pure laziness for the obesity problem when it comes down to not wanting to walk to the water fountain 86 freaking steps away.

I notice this in parking lots, too. It can be a clear, beautiful, perfect-temperature day with a million open spaces that are slightly farther from the door and I have seen people FIGHT over the spot next to the door. By the time they've resolved their issue, I've parked, walked in, bought my stuff and am on my way out!
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    WOW seriously?!?!?! That's remarkably lazy
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's sad how lazy people are. My former workout buddy makes excuses every week why she can't work out with me. "I'm tired, I have to go to the grocery store, or I'm going to happy hour." It's a shame because I am offering to let her work out for free at my gym with my complimentary guest passes and we pass the gym driving home so it's not like she has to go out of her way to get ot the gym.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I almost hate to admit this, but I don't get up to get water. I actually keep a couple of jugs at my desk to refill bottles. It's not that I have any problem getting up and refilling my bottle, it has to do with the crappy water filters here and the fact that if I don't keep water close to me, I won't drink anything more than my 8oz of tea in the morning for the rest of the day. I just don't think about it.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I almost hate to admit this, but I don't get up to get water. I actually keep a couple of jugs at my desk to refill bottles. It's not that I have any problem getting up and refilling my bottle, it has to do with the crappy water filters here and the fact that if I don't keep water close to me, I won't drink anything more than my 8oz of tea in the morning for the rest of the day. I just don't think about it.

I do this too, but it's because no one else in the office ever changes the water dispenser. It's one of those Ozarka ones. So, it'll sit dry for days on end because everyone is too lazy to change it. So, I just started bringing my own water, and letting them all try to thirst each other out till one finally gets the hell up and gets a new jug.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that. It isn't that they don't get water, it's the REASON.

One of my coworkers has bottled water delivered and keeps it at her desk. But she also picks up weights and goes for four or five walks a day.

I don't care if they go or don't go or whatever they do. But complaining about how far it is? It isn't even that far!