Walking at a brisk pace will not transfer from Samsung Health

Options
country2186
country2186 Posts: 3 Member
I have a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and Samsung Health connected to MyFitnessPal. If I do a walking exercise for 2-3 miles at a brisk pace the info doesn't transfer over to MyFitnessPal automatically and I have to manually enter Exercise on my daily Diary. However, if I do an Other Exercise option (calisthenics or a circut training stuff) that information copies over automatically. Is there something that I am missing?

Answers

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Are you making the walk an Exercise on the watch or just doing it?

When you enter that exercise manually on MFP - do you have to give a Start/Duration time?

Do you get an Adjustment on the MFP Exercise Diary prior to entering that manually?
  • country2186
    country2186 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Are you making the walk an Exercise on the watch or just doing it?

When you enter that exercise manually on MFP - do you have to give a Start/Duration time?

Do you get an Adjustment on the MFP Exercise Diary prior to entering that manually?

On my watch I select the Walking Exercise Icon and it counts down from 3 to start. I walk for 2-3 miles and then hit stop on my watch display - approximately 30-40 mins. That walking information is carried over to my Samsung Health App but will not transfer to MFP.

When I do the exact same steps to start Other Exercise and then complete my exercise say 30 mins later it is carried over to my Samsung Health App as well as sync to MFP Diary.

When I have to manually enter the walking in MFP, I select Cardiovascular Exercise and Brisk Walk as the activity - I play around with the time duration to get a close match to the calories burned as shown on my Samsung watch and app.

I have not noticed the Adjustment on MFP. I just started getting that Dec 26th. and haven't been paying much attention to it, I know it adjusts for my steps, but don't know if that includes the 2-3 mile walks (I am sure it would have to since it does count my steps). Maybe I'll just not worry about Walking info since it should be included in the Adjustment for steps. I don't know.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you tap and hold on that MFP Adjustment you'll see the details of how MFP created it.

If it includes daily calorie burn sent from Samsung at certain time, then it's sorta step based but the walking calories are indeed included because of course Samsung has them.

If it shows only steps, then that is MFP doing some very rough calcs since calories is per distance really not steps, but MFP has no idea of distance, so.....

You might check past days where you manually created a workout on MFP - it might have created a duplicate on Samsung system, that's why time-stamp is used.

In which case you don't need to manually enter it, but if you do nail the same time/duration, and then manually adjust the calories to what Samsung said for total.

Samsung is likely a replace-only system, so not like doubling the workout calories, but you will mess up their entry if it doesn't match exactly.

Samsung decides what they will send out to MFP, MFP has the ability to receive walks. Samsung appears to have decided not to send it for whatever reason.

But if you see in that adjustment Total Daily Burned figure with time stamp - the walk is in there.
    If you manually duplicate on MFP the Samsung exercise it won't mess anything up but unneeded.

If you only see step info and extra calories in the Adjustment, then adding a workout will reduce those - because MFP has no idea if your exercise calories was the steps or extra daily steps.
    But because you have time/duration I don't think that's the case - I think you are getting full sync.
This discussion has been closed.