Pear recipes

Options
timbotina
timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
I have a box of beautiful juicy soft pears. Other than putting on salads or eating sliced… what are some recipes. Hate to waste all these pears

Replies

• sandielewis2001
    sandielewis2001 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I eat a fresh sliced pear over cottage cheese with a little honey for breakfast most mornings. So yummy!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Poached pears in red wine, dried pear chips, pear butter ( like apple butter but, well, with pears), pears drizzled with a basalmic vinegar reduction served with cheese or with thin crust brick oven- style bread sticks
  • AZAlyssa
    AZAlyssa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If they're really soft, mash them and sub for applesauce in muffins or pancakes. Slice and add to oatmeal.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Pear sauce (make like apple sauce) goes well with roast pork, game or duck.
  • mistypoison
    mistypoison Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    baked pears, just sprinkle a little cinnamon and brown sugar ontop and you are good to go
  • serendip58
    serendip58 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also canned mine in a heated (no sugar added) apple juice. I would include in the pints a inch or two of cinnamon stick, and 1 maraschino cherry for color,flavor. It's really good and I don't have waste the fruit! :)
  • ONUnicorn
    ONUnicorn Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    So, a restaurant that used to be near me (it was torn down for a freeway offramp) used to have the BEST dish called "New England Chicken". I recently discovered that their recipe for that was published in Bon Appetite magazine in 1992, and has been republished on the web. Here it is in all its glory. (Note that the linked recipe is a similar recipe. Someone in the comments posted the actual one - you want the one in the comments.)

As written it's 636 calories per serving. You could probably substitute light cream for heavy cream and cut that back some.

Another thing I like to do with pears is make a pear and apple pie. It's so much sweeter and jucier with pears as well as apples!
  • rasparl123
    rasparl123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I substitute pears for apples in pie or apple crisp
  • ranny9
    ranny9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make cartelized pears for a pancake or French toast topping. In a very large skillet on medium heat slice up 4 pears and sprinkle with 1 tbsp of brown sugar. Stirring gently and often cook until the pears are cooked through and the sugars in the pears have cartelized. They will turn a golden brown colour. Serve warm or cold. The cartelized pears also work great as a cake or pudding topping.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    In the winter when berries are out of season I top pavlova’s with sliced pears drizzled in lemon juice. Lower the calories by swapping out half of the sugar by volume for Splenda and half of the whipped cream topping with no fat yoghurt.

• Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Baked pears, scoop seeds with melon baller. Stuff with your choice of nuts, mint, herbs, fruit: cranberries, raisins, etc. and oats. Used 1/2 cup liquid, a layer of oats. Arrange pears snugly in a casserole, fill to overflowing with above goodness. Baking time depends on ripeness. Top with 1 teaspoon maple syrup / pear. Big hit around here.

I juiced the less lovely ones for winter although this recipe hides imperfections. No juicer? Blend and freeze puree. 😘
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This site has many ideas:
    https://www.homefortheharvest.com/what-to-do-with-too-many-pears/

Pear chutney is what I would make -- you can store it for a while if you use sterilised jars and/or pack it while it's still very hot. I tend to want to use less sugar and a little more vingear than most recipes call for. I would probably up the vinegar and reduce the sugar by 50% in a recipe like this:
    https://www.theenglishkitchen.co/2018/09/spiced-pear-chutney.html

There are sugar free recipes out there too but they won't preserve as well:
    https://www.recipecommunity.com.au/sauces-dips-spreads-recipes/pear-chutney-no-added-sugar/yxr3lwjy-85a11-045376-cfcd2-zz5c7ubf
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This is for when you have extra calories to spare 😍
    https://www.thelastfoodblog.com/spiced-pear-crumble-with-almonds/