Motivation

Options
clau9734
clau9734 Posts: 43 Member
Hey all, I'm looking for friends for motivation and tips to lose some weight! I've been really struggling staying on track and weight loss is getting harder than ever :neutral: getting older is no fun

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    Motivation is a sucker-bet; it always fades and resurfaces on it's own. This is true for everyone.

Instead, focus on self discipline and commitment to a lifestyle.

Not motivated to workout? So what? Do it anyway.
    The same goes for clean eating.

Hang in there.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Motivation is a sucker-bet; it always fades and resurfaces on it's own. This is true for everyone.

Instead, focus on self discipline and commitment to a lifestyle.

Not motivated to workout? So what? Do it anyway.
    The same goes for clean eating.

Hang in there.

Agreed.

If you need to remind yourself of why you're doing this think back to the reasons on why you started, think of the long-term gains and benefits. It takes time and and patience to develop new habits, so just remember that and don't be too hard on yourself.
  • capamericaag
    capamericaag Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I feel u . Need a kick up the *kitten* to get going starting new training programme on Monday just getting nutrition side in order . Feel free to add me
  • ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Consider trying walking as exercise while you figure out your diet and exercise plan. It's easy to do. As mentioned, motivation can come and go with mood and life stress. So, I found picking something easy to do a good way of making sure exercise actually happens.

I think a lot of people think they have to do something very hard when they're starting. So they do something hard for two weeks. Their body feels wrecked. And then they quit.

If you have something easy as your base you won't feel like you need to quit and your body won't hurt as much as you transition to a more active lifestyle.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Consider trying walking as exercise while you figure out your diet and exercise plan. It's easy to do. As mentioned, motivation can come and go with mood and life stress. So, I found picking something easy to do a good way of making sure exercise actually happens.

I think a lot of people think they have to do something very hard when they're starting. So they do something hard for two weeks. Their body feels wrecked. And then they quit.

If you have something easy as your base you won't feel like you need to quit and your body won't hurt as much as you transition to a more active lifestyle.

Completely agree.
    And while walking might seem like an easy way to go, there are certainly ways to improve on the fitness benefits from it. Our town is mainly a valley with hills all around. But because it's winter, I'm using the treadmill to lengthen my walking and increasing the incline. It's a slow-going improvement but hopefully, worth the effort when spring comes.

Ok, I've only been back at this since the end of December, after off-on again and have 20# to lose(again argh). And some days I could very easily talk myself out of walking at all. But I force myself to just start it; turn on some fast music and turn the treadmill on, make myself do 10 minutes, then find when I reach 10 minutes I talk myself into just another minute or 5 or 10. Slowly I'm increasing each day. So much better than speeding along for 4 miles, then burn out in a month and quit, which is what happened last year. :(

Also, find something that's actually fun for you and you'll be more likely to stick to it!! We don't all have to be into strength training or running or........god knows I'm not cut out for stuff like that(wish I was though). Whatever you choose to do have fun, use music, a friend or partner to do it with you, etc.

Wishing you much luck!!!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    clau9734 wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm looking for friends for motivation and tips to lose some weight! I've been really struggling staying on track and weight loss is getting harder than ever :neutral: getting older is no fun

I'm 68 and losing weight can still happen. In fact, it's easier for me than it was when I was in my 30's and up. I hovered between 185-225 all those years. Being a stress eater, Stress was high raising a family, being that person I'd been for so long. Not to mention, you get a different level of acceptance of who you are and not fight to be like everybody else(gotta love those air-brushed models and celebrities). Stress is always there but it's so important to devote time to YOU as well.
    I've been between 138-160 the past few years and am currently working to get back to 140.
  • clau9734
    clau9734 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Totally get the digging deep and doing it for myself. But it's always nice to have chearleaders and encouraging others. I feel most of my friends in RL are so not into changing their lifestyle and it almost becomes a hassle being around them because of it.