Weight maintenance, is it possible???

elindufa66
elindufa66 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2022 in Introduce Yourself
Hi :)
I just started using MFP. I took a weight management course several years ago where the app was recommended. I have since gained 8 more kgs. I’m dragging my feet on this because the weight has always come back and then some before. How do other people feel about this? Has anyone maintained a major weight loss for years?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    ive lost a total of over 200 pounds since 2014. havent gained any back, even when I was not in 'loss mode'. I have many friends who have reached their goal weight and maintained.

If you are gaining weight after losing it, you haven't learned how to eat at maintenance. For ME (and everyone is a bit different), I can maintain long term if I do one of two things. Either log my food to keep my calories in check OR workout at least 3 times a week. I dont have to do both, but do have to do one or the other.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,748 Member
    Define major? I've maintained a loss of around 50-some pounds for 6+ years now, after being overweight/obese for around 30 years previously. (That's just under a third of my starting body weight.) There are folks here who've maintained bigger losses, for more years.

In my view, one helpful thing is to drop the idea of a diet as a project with an end date, after which things "go back to normal". Instead, I think it can be useful to think of lifelong weight management in terms of experimenting to find revised daily-life habits one can happily continue permanently, more or less on autopilot.

Another way to say that is to suggest not trying to make weight loss fast, but rather to make it easy - as close to painless as possible. Sure, it won't be easy every single second - habit change never is - but it can happen at a wide range of difficulties from punitive to relatively easier . . . do what you can to move the slider setting toward "easier", even if it takes a little more calendar time to reach target weight.

The so-called weight-loss industry benefits if they can convince us that weight management is difficult (so that we need solutions that only they can sell us) and punitive (so that we won't stick with it, will blame ourselves for being weak, and thus turn into repeat customers, for the industry's long-term benefit). Re-think that. The process is simple, even if not always easy. Fat is not a sin, so we don't need to suffer to expiate it.

IMO, the right path for you (for anyone) will be personalized: Tailored to your individual preferences, needs, strengths, limitations. The implication is that you can get ideas to try, from other people who've succeeded, but some of those ideas will work for you, and some won't. That's fine. If something you try doesn't work out, it doesn't mean you're weak or bad or a failure. It just means you haven't found the right plan yet. Keep trying things and revising your approach until a good overall picture clicks in.

Success is a matter of sticking with it, continuing to experiment, not giving up. Failed experiments, sometimes even setbacks, are a part of the process. Guilt or other negative feelings burn no extra calories, feel icky, don't help find an improved plan, so no point in indulging them.

You can do this. Wishing you success!
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 164 Member
    220lbs since 2003.

I still track my macros and I exercise at least 3 times a week. When I drop either of these I struggle.

I like to eat big meals I've just learned to bulk them out with less calorie dense foods.

When I don't track or I eat more calorie dense foods (in appropriate portions) without bulking with low density foods I gain.

It's a fine line but one I'm willing to walk for my overall health and mental wellbeing.

Good luck.