Couldn't Believe He was eating THAT!!!

Options
So I walk into my house after a 3 mile walk and find my Dad with a heaping plate of Hot Links, Fried Potatoes and Fried Eggs. I looked at that and just about wanted to hurl :frown: :frown:

I know I can't control other people's eating but I had hoped some of my new habits were wearing off on him. He is about 100 lbs overweight, diabetic and all else that goes with being that big. We talk alot about what I am doing with my weight loss journey and while he says it is great, he doesn't seem to want to do anything for himself. :huh: :huh:

Guess I just keep focusing on me and what I am doing for myself and my kiddos :happy: :tongue: :happy: :tongue: :happy:

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him eat healthy."

Seriously, all you can do is lead by example. Until he is ready to make a change, it won't happen.

If it helps, I know someone that posts on a thread I am also on, who, during the past year, has eaten healthy, lost about 40 lbs. and her husband couldn't see any reason to change his own habits. Now that she has pretty much reached her goal, he decided to make some changes of his own, and is eating healthier and actually started exercising a bit, and has lost a few lbs. himself. So, it can happen, but wouldn't have if she hadn't let him get to that point without pressuring him.

Hang in there.:flowerforyou:
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Thats hard to watch, I know. But it is true that its not our place to take on another persons issues. The best thing you can do, is exactly what you are doing. Take care of you, the rest WILL follow when they choose.

I watched my sister, who is over 300 pounds, make a plate of fried potatoes in butter with noodles. Then she poured butter over it. Excuse me, not even butter, but margarine:sick: She proceeded to eat it and then DRINK the left over butter from the plate. That was her before dinner snack. Mind you, she knows better. She is the educated one in the family. The fact that she had to change her college major because she was too large to participate in the field trips (mountain climbing was required) was not enough to get her to change. The fact that she has a migraine every other week, is not enough for her to change. The fact that she sprains her ankles everytime she tries to run or just walk fast, not enough to change. Therefore, theres nothing I could possibly say to change her.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That's right, lead by example and others may follow. I joined MFP a couple of months ago and my husband has been supportive, but not active, until I found out this morning that he also joined!!! He never mentioned anything to me, I just sort of glanced at the computer behind his shoulder and saw that he was logging in his foods. I'm proud of him!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain...I try to eat as cleanly as I can, and have totally revamped my own eating habits over the past 16 months. My husband, though, is another story. He's 6'4", 185 lbs., never hungry, and when he eats, it's total CRAP. He literally survives on Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls, Coca Cola (about 8 cans/day), McDonald's, and when he refuses to eat what I've fixed for dinner, he knows there's Chef Boy-R-D Ravioli in the cupboard. He thinks it's not an issue because he's thin, but considering that he has an bicuspid aortic valve, I think if I were him I'd be thinking about the things that may cause issues with his arteries in the future. You can't force anyone, though...I've learned that the hard way. The more you push, the more they push back.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I'm floored by some of the things I see my dad eating. And he has horrible eating habits. He will go all day without eating anything everyday and eat a bunch of crap at night. Its like he's fitting that days worth of calories in one meal and more. I've tried to get him to eat at least 3 meals a day but it doesn't work. And most of the food I cook goes to waste since he eats later at night. If he does eat what I cook, he will take it and pour a bunch of other crap all over it and mix it with other food. ...Then he complains about how his eating habits are messing with his stomach :grumble: well I keep telling him and pointing that out..
    Sorry. Ha, just kind of ranting now. Because of his eating habits, I can't ever cook anything because it will go to waste. I still try every once in a while, but can't afford the money thats being wasted doing it. XP
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I had a coworker at the restaurant where I work tell me I couldn't be healthy or strong by being vegetarian, although for the most part I eat extremely healthy foods. This man is obese and diabetic and he was eating fried fish with french fries and ice cream as he said this to me. Some people know they aren't healthy and either don't know how to change or aren't willing ( more likely ) to change. They will either come to the realization on their own or have a major health issue force the change, we can't make them see what they aren't willing to see and we can't make them do what they aren't willing to do. Unfortunatly for you this man's your dad and not just some guy from work.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It is so true....my husband grabs the bag of doritos every night and all the leftovers and chows down. It drives me crazy. Maybe he will catch on soon!