Red wine

Options
I am looking to lose weight. Get lean and strong by summertime. I have heard lots on alcohol l. Would having 2 glasses of red wine on like a Saturday once a week or even twice a month be bad, interfere with goals?

Replies

• TX_375
    TX_375 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Most likely not a problem, unless you're borderline on hitting your calorie target. Calories from alcohol (7 kcal/gm, more than carbs or protein, less than fat) are not satiating, so you won't curb hunger drinking. You may be inclined to eat more food with alcohol. Also, when you're metabolizing alcohol, fat oxidation decreases significantly. (Google "fat oxidation when metabolizing alcohol" and you'll find quite a lot of good information).

I'm a huge fan of red wine, but when I'm cutting body fat I have a goal of zero alcohol consumption. If I do drink, I'll account for it but to me it's not enough to just make it fit your macronutrient goals given the effect it has on fat loss.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. That's little enough alcohol that it won't likely interfere with any weight loss goals.

However, if your goal is optimal health, the current guidelines state that there is no safe amount of alcohol.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I drink it when it fits within my calories. I measure it and log it like everything else.

Be aware that alcohol can make you hungry, and I find that I crave cheese or other salty snacks when I drink. Sometimes it's easier just to abstain rather than get hungry for things I'm not allowed to have. :smile:
  • tamekahend
    tamekahend Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! Agreed with all the responses, I’ve been trying to lose the same 10 lbs forever while drinking alcohol, didn’t work lol, now it’s turned to almost 15. 7 days w/o and already feel a difference, instead I go for hot tea or water with a light snack.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit works but alcohol interferes with usage of stored calories. Alcohol cannot be stored, so it has to be metabolized. During that time, no carbs or fats are being utilized for energy. Also DON'T drink before bed. You burn the most stored bodyfat (if you're in a calorie deficit) when you sleep. If you drink alcohol before bed, that ain't gonna happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bellaboo_82
    bellaboo_82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm like TX_375 - I abstain from drinking and avoid it when I'm trying to cut body fat etc.
    One day of drinking undoes a lot of the hard work you have done and takes the body three-four days to start burning it off again. Alcohol takes an hour to start to metabolise 0.6 ounces / 17ml = 1 glass of 175 wine = 10.3 hours to metabolise one drink - so if you drink two glasses, it's 20.6 hours, so your body is in effect playing catch up/

If you really crave something other than water etc. then have a non alco drink. Not sure if you have you tried the non-alcoholic versions of drinks - I know a lot of people scoff and turn their nose up at it but there are some really nice ones out there.
    Seedlip do a good one which tastes exactly like a gin and tonic. Tanqueray gin also do a good non alcoholic version now. One - MAYBE - two of those and I am satisfied, if I have the urge.
    Just got to be careful of the sugar content in them, they may be non alcoholic but Non-Secco and non alcholic wines pack in the sugar, which is why I try and and go for a distilled non alcoholic "spirit" with a low calorie tonic or soda water.
    If you need a hard drink - try vodka and soda with lots of fresh lime. I used to drink these downroute when I was crew and my colleagues wanted to party, the only thing my trainer would allow me to drink! ;-)
  • TX_375
    TX_375 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice in here, and people hitting the “disagree” button won’t comment as to why. Silence says more than the button. 😂
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    OP is talking about 2 glasses of red wine once a week

a fairly low calorie drink and a far from excessive level of alcohol consumption

This amount should be very easy to fit into your calorie allowance.

Personal experience: I do not drink wine but I do drink spirits mixed with diet soda - amount and frequency varies from once a month to once or twice a week, never more than 2 or 3 at most per time.
    Occasionally other alcoholic drinks

It did not stop me losing weight .

Incidentally my father ( now 82 yrs old) does drink red wine, in moderate amounts, and has been very slim all his life.

For all the usual reasons, of course - eats less than he burns over the long term.

Not because of, nor in spite of, the red wine.