Underactive Thyroid/ Hashimotos Disease with Open diary

Options
Anyone with underactive thyroid or hashimotos disease would like to add me? I have a open diary and would like to see other peoples diaries!

I'm 4'11 at around 136 pounds looking to lose around 20 pounds.

Also anyone with a open diary is free to add me!

Thanks!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    I don't add people (pretty much because I'm not a stellar MFP friend, more of a Community forum gal), but I do accept friend requests, if my diary is of interest to you. Diary's open to friends.

I'm taller than you (5'5"), somewhat lighter (mid-120s pounds), much older (66), lost from just over the line into class 1 obese (183 pounds) back in 2015-16 at age 59-60, have maintained a healthy weight since. (Obvious implication: I'm eating maintenance calories on average now.) I don't log every single day any more, but still do log most days.

I'm quite severely hypothyroid, have been for around 21 years, but am properly medicated (levothyroxine, 162mcg as 137+25 mcg tablets).

If you haven't read this, it's very insightful:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

It was written by a (former?) MFP-er who is a scientist in the field, himself hypothyroid, who lost weight via calorie counting. Good stuff.
  • lynn1
    lynn1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with this and have a lot of questions! I need help!! Any advise would be welcomed!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    lynn1 wrote: »
    I was just diagnosed with this and have a lot of questions! I need help!! Any advise would be welcomed!

Get properly medicated. This will take time and patience. The usual routine is to start with a low dose of some kind of thyroid hormone replacement, because a too-high dose is very dangerous. It takes a while for a dosage level to stabilize in your body. Your doctor should have you coming back for more blood tests on a regular basis, and considering whether an even higher dose is needed. Don't lose patience with this. It's necessary. If you don't feel right, make sure your doctor is looking not just at TSH but also T3/T4, and adjusting medications accordingly. Be your own best advocate, if that's not happening. (You can ask for a referral to an endocrinologist, if primary care isn't cutting it, for example).

Evan after you're stabilized at a good point, there should be ongoing blood tests periodically, because things can change. (I'm tested every 6 months, after becoming stable. I've needed more than one adjustment, either up or down in dosage.)e

Also, read the thread I linked above:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

It's really good. I think it may answer a lot of your questions. If not, ask here, or in that thread, or make your own thread. There are lots of hypothyroid people here. (I'm one: About 22 years hypothyroid, quite severe, properly medicated.)

It'll be OK, honestly. Hang in there!
  • AnnPT77
    edited May 2022
    Options
    lynn1 wrote: »

Get properly medicated. This will take time and patience. The usual routine is to start with a low dose of some kind of thyroid hormone replacement, because a too-high dose is very dangerous. It takes a while for a dosage level to stabilize in your body. Your doctor should have you coming back for more blood tests on a regular basis, and considering whether an even higher dose is needed. Don't lose patience with this. It's necessary. If you don't feel right, make sure your doctor is looking not just at TSH but also T3/T4, and adjusting medications accordingly. Be your own best advocate, if that's not happening. (You can ask for a referral to an endocrinologist, if primary care isn't cutting it, for example).

Evan after you're stabilized at a good point, there should be ongoing blood tests periodically, because things can change. (I'm tested every 6 months, after becoming stable. I've needed more than one adjustment, either up or down in dosage.)

Also, read the thread I linked above:

It's really good. I think it may answer a lot of your questions. If not, ask here, or in that thread, or make your own thread. There are lots of hypothyroid people here. (I'm one: About 22 years hypothyroid, quite severe, properly medicated.)

It'll be OK, honestly. Hang in there!